E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #261
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
I'm curios about the the mindset that says "everything will be taken care of for me."
Old 12-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #262
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
our thought process lies within our knowledge of history

look at any dictatorship or tyrannical government that has disarmed the populace in the past. look at the laws and bills in place right now, the NFA is already an infringement on the second amendment and it is ever expanding, the patriot act steps all over a number of our other rights in the name of "security". the united states is exhibiting the signs that other countries have when transitioning to a more tyrannical government.

its not just all in our heads, we're not making it up. this can be proven through history and facts. wake up dude. look at what happened in germany, russia, syria, korea etc....

Last edited by Sentaruu; 12-29-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Sentaruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:01 PM   #263
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
This isn't the Middle East or Korea.

Point out a time in US history when the government turned on its citizens and murdered them.

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:04 PM   #264
Sentaruu

the revolutionary war, the civil war.

and your right this is the united states of america. it isnt the middle east or korea. neither was germany or russia. im sorry to hear that you are naive enough to think that this cant happen here.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #265
Lair
Modded ///Member

If I had to live with that kind of fear, I'd kill myself.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #266
Sentaruu

like i said, its not fear, its awareness. but if you are more comfortable shoving your head in the sand be my guest. im not sayingyou should put on your tinfoil hat and go buy a bunker somewhere but for christs sake at least have an idea of what is actually going on around you outside of what the media tells you.

and for the record, the world really is a horrifying place.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #267
Nt_loader
ASA NO MO

My Ride: 2006 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
I'm not looking down on anyone. I'm genuinely curious about the thought process that makes people fear their government so much that they feel the need to buy thousands if rounds of ammo and dozens of guns.

Seems sad to me.
I don't see it as fear at all. To me its similar to going to the dentists for a cleaning to try and prevent cavities. Visiting the doctor twice a year to examine my blood and urine and make sure my levels are ok.

I also change the oil in my cars ever X miles to prolong the engine, etc.

I also get the AC and heating unit tuned up to prevent break downs.

Basically I don't leave things to chance and do what I can to be prepared.
Nt_loader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #268
Lair
Modded ///Member

I'm as aware as anyone here, but I don't feel the fear that would lead me to spend thousands of dollars on guns & ammo - especially not to defend myself against my own government.

Irrational fear doesn't own me.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #269
Nt_loader
ASA NO MO

Quote:
I'm as aware as anyone here, but I don't feel the fear that would lead me to spend thousands of dollars on guns & ammo - especially not to defend myself against my own government.

Do you have anything for home defense? Do you live alone, any kids? Just curious.

For me I sleep better at night with loaded 9mm within reach. The chances of someone breaking into my home are so low that ill probably trip down the stairs and crack my head open before that happens. In any event I still have rails next to my stairs, smoke detectors in the rare chance a fire should start and carbon monoxide alarms.

Im not arguing that you should put a gun in your home. Im arguing for my rights that allow me the choice of arming myself. Period.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #270
Sentaruu

Quote:

...right

Last edited by Sentaruu; 12-29-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #271
Lair
Modded ///Member

Of course I have home defense, but not to protect me against the government. There's a difference between being prudent and being terrified of my government. I don't live in a tweeker hood, and I don't put myself in dangerous situations, but I'm prepared to defend myself if I need to.

I have no illusions about the government attacking me, and I won't be manipulated by people who want me to buy an AK or AR that will be useless for anything other than target practice.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #272
ghorn

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
I'm not looking down on anyone. I'm genuinely curious about the thought process that makes people fear their government so much that they feel the need to buy thousands if rounds of ammo and dozens of guns.

Seems sad to me.
It is sad. People like that are scared. Having guns around, presumably, makes them feel safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Doing drugs and having sex... oh wow big deal. Well it is actually a HUGE deal.
ghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #273
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghorn View Post
It is sad. People like that are scared. Having guns around, presumably, makes them feel safe.
Repeatedly calling gun owners "scared" is ridiculous.

Point is... you end up at the business end of a person that means to cause you serious harm... You absolutely WILL regret not being prepared. If you are happy with the gamble that you'll never need it, I can accept your position, but don't insult those that value our loved ones lives more and want the best odds for their safety in a dangerous world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 12-29-2012 at 01:04 PM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #274
Lair
Modded ///Member

If I felt unsafe enough to consider buying an AK for protection, I'd take that AK money and use it for a down payment on a house in a safer neighborhood.

I don't really care that people buy arsenals and ammo, but using fear of government as justification seems dishonest. Just say you want one because it makes you feel powerful, or that you like to shoot shlt. As a hobby - sure, but using fear to justify your hobby is disingenuous at best.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #275
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
If I felt unsafe enough to consider buying an AK for protection, I'd take that AK money and use it for a down payment on a house in a safer neighborhood.

I don't really care that people buy arsenals and ammo, but using fear of government as justification seems dishonest. Just say you want one because it makes you feel powerful, or that you like to shoot shlt. As a hobby - sure, but using fear to justify your hobby is disingenuous at best.
Since you wear your seat belt every time you drive, are you feeling so unsafe you should sell your car and walk everywhere? A house or a neighborhood that is 100% safe doesn't exist.

Unless we are talking a rural area... I don't know anyone that uses an AK or AR for home protection (okok... I know a couple, lol).

It isn't a fear the government is going to start a war, it is about maintaining a balance of power so we never get to that point. Again, not fear. Is the USA scared for maintaining more Nukes than everyone else? No... balance of power.

Truth be told... An AR is FAR superior to a handgun in terms of home defense. Personally, I (any many experts agree) that a handgun is really used to "fight your way" back to a long gun. Shotgun being my preference.

Might seem extreme to you, but from a technical perspective, accuracy and maneuverability standpoint, I'd take a long gun over a handgun in a fight any day

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 12-29-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #276
Sentaruu

how is self preservation dishonest? who cares what motives law abiding citizens have for doing anything they do?

and yea, the government wants to take away the public's ability to effectively defend themselves, whats not to fear?

oh right, head in the sand.. nvm

Last edited by Sentaruu; 12-29-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #277
Lair
Modded ///Member

Get back to me when the big bad government tries to take away your guns. I'll be right over here - with my head in the sand.

I take reasonable precautions every day. An AK isn't reasonable. You might feel safe with an AK, but it won't help if you aren't walking around with it in your hands 24/7. I'll take my chances with a couple of handguns. If that isn't enough to protect me, then I'll die knowing that I went down fighting. In the meantime, I'll spend my days being unafraid. I'd rather live a day without fear than a lifetime being terrified.

If you're afraid, you've already lost the battle.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #278
Sentaruu

Quote:
Get back to me when the big bad government tries to take away your guns.
u srs?

...thats the entire reason we are having this argument

Last edited by Sentaruu; 12-29-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #279
Nt_loader
ASA NO MO

Quote:
Get back to me when the big bad government tries to take away your guns. I'll be right over here - with my head in the sand.

I take reasonable precautions every day. An AK isn't reasonable. You might feel safe with an AK, but it won't help if you aren't walking around with it in your hands 24/7. I'll take my chances with a couple of handguns. If that isn't enough to protect me, then I'll die knowing that I went down fighting. In the meantime, I'll spend my days being unafraid. I'd rather live a day without fear than a lifetime being terrified.

If you're afraid, you've already lost the battle.
Im not really sure where you're getting the "we're afraid" thing from. Am I missing a post or something?

Before the boating accident I had both an AK and AR, both for target practice. I never thought once, hum, im going to use my AK for home defense. Thats what my 9mm is for. But like JJ said, if needed, I can fight my way back to the long rifle and go from there.

Different scenarios call for different actions. The gov't stripping its citizens of arms is unconstitutional.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #280
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
Lair stays up to date on current events

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.