E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2004, 06:59 PM   #1
///NYCM3

My Ride: 2001 TiAg M3
Send a message via AIM to ///NYCM3
Install ideas?

finally decided to change my two tens for 1 w7. Not sure if i should go with a 13, or a 12. I am gonna power off a jl 1000/1, but i'm still undecided on placement. Facing the cabin through the ski-pass, or facing the back. Gonna use a sealed box to save some space. Ideas?
///NYCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:49 PM   #2
CynicalWry
Doesn't like PMs...Email me

My Ride: 00 323i-05 cbr600rr
Send a message via AIM to CynicalWry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///NYCM3
finally decided to change my two tens for 1 w7. Not sure if i should go with a 13, or a 12. I am gonna power off a jl 1000/1, but i'm still undecided on placement. Facing the cabin through the ski-pass, or facing the back. Gonna use a sealed box to save some space. Ideas?
If you're doing a 1000/1 then get the 12w7. Use a sealed box facing the back of the car for best sound quality.

Authorized Umnitza.com installer
301-825-5871
http://www.robinsNestChildCare.com - - - - - http://www.tntTint.net

CynicalWry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 11:55 PM   #3
///NYCM3

My Ride: 2001 TiAg M3
Send a message via AIM to ///NYCM3
Is there a definitive post on which way to mount the speakers. I cant decide which actually sounds better. The best of what i have figured would be to do a ported box with the port going through the ski pass. Will i still be able to hear the bass with the subs facing the other way?
///NYCM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 12:02 AM   #4
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///NYCM3
Is there a definitive post on which way to mount the speakers. I cant decide which actually sounds better. The best of what i have figured would be to do a ported box with the port going through the ski pass. Will i still be able to hear the bass with the subs facing the other way?
You probably won't know which is better until you try both ways. If you want to sacrifce your spare tire, you can use the spare tire well. I calculated it to be 1.86 cu ft, as long as your spare tire well is the same size as a 330Ci.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 05:41 PM   #5
dan4081

My Ride: 2000 323i
I've tried my single 12 facing through the ski pass and facing back. Facing back sounds better by a long shot. I'm using a elemental designs 12o. One of the best sounding subs I have ever heard and gets extremely loud with 400 watts in a sealed 1.25 cf box. I like it better than my friends 12w6v2, but a w7 may be a bit louder.
dan4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 06:43 PM   #6
pimpn04coupe

My Ride: some hooptie
facing toward the back is louder or sounds better? i have my 2 10s w7s facing the fornt of the car and they sound amazing... i have never got a chance to hear it what it sounds like toward the back... im very interested in this since i am going for a single sub setup myself for financial reasons im selling my trunk setup to get a screen)
pimpn04coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 07:04 PM   #7
dan4081

Both. It sounds much better facing back and feels like it has more impact.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:07 PM   #8
pimpn04coupe

theres alot more rattle as well correct? i might def look into this because i was def skeptical as facing my subs toward the front, BUT i do have one of my rear seats folded down... i was told facing them the other way from several installers that it would be noticely quieter and would rattle a **** load...
Old 04-12-2004, 07:13 PM   #9
dan4081

I had some rattle from the rear deck, but pushed some foam in there and that took care of it. My license plate rattled also and I used a dynamat license kit off ebay for that. Also, I would of been happy with them facing forward if I had never turned them around to try out. Now that I did I cant go back, and believe me I tried because its a lot easier to make the trunk look nice if the sub faces forward.

Check out my new toys:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toys2.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	73631  
Old 04-13-2004, 12:43 AM   #10
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Facing the subs to the rear uses "corner loading" which has more dramatic effect on ported and bandpass enclosures. Facing the subs towards the rear also masks the mechanical noise of the sub and the port noise which can be significant in higher power applications. It doesn't always work but seems to in BMWs. Probably because the trunk is good sealed and the distance from where most of us put our subs to our ears is just right that the wavelength is right at the driver's head...just theory.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 12:53 AM   #11
pimpn04coupe

hey instead of completely threadjackin this thread, i posted my thread... please guys take a look and provide your input if you can...
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...27#post1501627