E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
EmDeeAr

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Get over wood trim?

Hey guys,

I've been searching around for the perfect 330, but I have yet to come across anything that fits my criteria (Admittedly, I've only been on the hunt for a few weeks.). A ZHP would be ideal, but I am open to ZSP package cars as well. However, most of the ZSP cars I have looked at have wood trim. Right now, wood trim is pretty much a deciding factor in me not buying a certain car. My previous E36 M3 had wood trim, and I despised it while I owned it. Nowadays, wood trim definitely isn't as big of a deal to me, but I still want the perfect car...

Should I just get over the issue of wood trim and pick up a car if it matches all or most of my other criteria? I'd really like to purchase a local car so that I can be confident in its condition. Mandating that my next car must not have wood trim is making this very difficult.

Or, should I stick it out and wait for the perfect car?

I know this is pretty subjective, but I'd like to hear what you all have to say. Pictures swaying me one way or another would be cool.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by EmDeeAr; 12-11-2012 at 08:46 PM.
EmDeeAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
stevenluczynski

My Ride: Is Steel Blue<3
you can switch out the trim
Old 12-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
EmDeeAr

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenluczynski View Post
you can switch out the trim
Yeah I know but I went through that whole process with my M3.... not something I wish to deal with again. It entailed taking the whole console apart, which was just a pain.

I found this actually: http://www.e46fanatics.com/howto/how...hp?howto_id=25

Thanks.

Opinions still welcome.

Last edited by EmDeeAr; 12-11-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
JasonCote

My Ride: 2005 325Xi blk/blk
Just pop off with a flat head covered in cloth or a plastic pry bar. Very very easy.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
SK8URDEAD

My Ride: TopazBlu 325I
hmm never seen wood trim in person lol. every bmw i looked at had silver and so was mine untill i wrapped it in CF. its like super easy to remove to buy one can of plasti dip($7) and then primer the trim($3-$5) then a other can of the color of your choice and clear coat. should be cheaper then $20.
Umnitza MTech II Body Kit, ZHP Weighted Shift Knob, Muffler Delete, Resonator Delete, Khoalty LED Tail lights/Clear Front Turn Signals + Sidemarkers, Long CAI, Koni FSD's + B&G Lowering Springs, CF Fabric Trim, Black Suede Headliner + Pillars, Thule 753 Roof Rack n Fairing, 5% Rear 20% Front Tint, DDM Led license plate lights. No such thing as DONE lol.
SK8URDEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
EmDeeAr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCote View Post
Just pop off with a flat head covered in cloth or a plastic pry bar. Very very easy.
http://www.e46fanatics.com/howto/how...hp?howto_id=25

Seems harder than that... for the doors at least...
Old 12-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Sport package got silver trim. However premium got wood trim, and the wood took precedence over the silver.

Swapping / modding the pieces on the dash and around the shifter is a piece of cake. However, to get the armrests off of the door you have to take the door card off.
Andy2108 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #8
theOCHO

My Ride: 330i ZHP 6MT
Just hold out and get the ZHP if you're looking for the perfect car. Mine has silver cubes and other BMW guys ask to buy it off me all the time. That never happened when I had my old 330ci with myrtle.

Also, who the hell cares about trim? Get some Di-Noc and call it a day.

No leather/no cold weather package/no sports package

Last edited by theOCHO; 12-11-2012 at 10:21 PM.
theOCHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #9
SK8URDEAD

My Ride: TopazBlu 325I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
Sport package got silver trim. However premium got wood trim, and the wood took precedence over the silver.

Swapping / modding the pieces on the dash and around the shifter is a piece of cake. However, to get the armrests off of the door you have to take the door card off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmDeeAr View Post
http://www.e46fanatics.com/howto/how...hp?howto_id=25

Seems harder than that... for the doors at least...
Thats why you get a Sedan over a coupe coupes you have arm rest trouble. sedans its a simple trim on the doors which is why i said its super easy to remove lol.
Umnitza MTech II Body Kit, ZHP Weighted Shift Knob, Muffler Delete, Resonator Delete, Khoalty LED Tail lights/Clear Front Turn Signals + Sidemarkers, Long CAI, Koni FSD's + B&G Lowering Springs, CF Fabric Trim, Black Suede Headliner + Pillars, Thule 753 Roof Rack n Fairing, 5% Rear 20% Front Tint, DDM Led license plate lights. No such thing as DONE lol.
SK8URDEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:38 PM   #10
EmDeeAr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK8URDEAD View Post
Thats why you get a Sedan over a coupe coupes you have arm rest trouble. sedans its a simple trim on the doors which is why i said its super easy to remove lol.
Oh swaaag. I tend to like sedans more anyway

Ok, well I'll definitely start considering sedans with wood trim.

As far as coupes go, I just don't want the hassle of having to take everything apart. Went through that before, and it's part of the reason I got tired of the car.

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:47 PM   #11
TonyJ

My Ride: E46 330i
What's wrong with wood trim? The E46 is an old car so wood trim matches its age and feels classy. In fact I dislike fake carbon fibre even more. It just screams try too hard.
TonyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:00 AM   #12
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK8URDEAD View Post
Word.
If pressed, I could completely remove all the trim in my car in under 10 minutes.
Yay sedans
Old 12-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #13
EmDeeAr

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
Word.
If pressed, I could completely remove all the trim in my car in under 10 minutes.
Yay sedans
Nice!

Thanks again for all the input.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #14
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
The door panel (not card :/ ) has to come off anyway when you do the regulators. Wood trim can look nice anyway

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:52 AM   #15
k20z1 L

My Ride: 04 330ci
I hate wood trim.. Not too hard either I think it's worth it

Last edited by k20z1 L; 12-12-2012 at 10:52 AM.
k20z1 L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #16
Danoff

My Ride: '04 330i ZSP
Wood has no place in cars. I don't care if we're talking BMW or Pagani. I held out for a ZSP without wood, but I nearly bought one with wood and swapped it out. If you find the right car, don't let the wood hold you back, but make sure you don't get lazy and just put up with it after you buy it. It's worth it to put the time in to really enjoy your car.
Danoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #17
Ruthlessone3k

My Ride: 323i
If you decide to get rid of the wood trim, let me know I'm interested. I love the wood trim.
Ruthlessone3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #18
System77

My Ride: 2002 330ci
to each their own, I recently purchased my first e46 and was very happy that I sourced one out with the wood trim. I think the aluminum and carbon looks a bit tacky myself.. Some solid maple wood trim would be even nicer. But then again Im a guitar fanatic too so I like the look and feel of real wood.

Last edited by System77; 12-29-2012 at 07:35 PM.
System77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #19
esberelias

My Ride: '03 325i
Easiest thing i've ever done on the E46 is take off the trim.... very simple and you can just get them wrapped pretty cheap too

Check out my ride
esberelias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #20
Dood1804

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i
Take your time looking, I finny found one with black enterior and silver trim and it was worth waiting for the perfect car.
Dood1804 is offline   Reply With Quote