E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 03:27 AM   #1
stockgp

My Ride: 1999 323i
no start after accident

my car was hit a few months ago, but i've been trying to keep it running as a good parts car for when i get my next e46.

the last time i went out, i got nothing but clicks. not solenoid clicks, but clicks and whirrs from inside the cabin and apparently near the firewall.

i've posted a short video. this happens with two different, good, batteries. i did the obc test for battery voltage, i think. a few dashes on the left were showing 120.

any ideas?

Last edited by stockgp; 12-30-2012 at 03:30 AM.
stockgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:59 AM   #2
tnhl1989

My Ride: 02 330xi(RIP),03 ZHP
Send a message via Skype™ to tnhl1989
Look up bst. It's a fuse that is on your positive terminal red wire. Pretty much you need to replace that wire and it retails for about 430. I believe someone on the forum can order one for under 200. It's a safety feature so that your car doesn't explode and cuts off the engine from turning on after the accident depending on how bad it is. See if the red wire is loose by the black box running towards to the front of the car. Same thing happen to my car when it got rear ended.
tnhl1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:24 AM   #3
stockgp

Im aware of the bst. But itI did not.blow when the accident happened. It is three months after the accident that the car now won't start
Old 12-30-2012, 06:39 AM   #4
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
If it's repeated clicks, that sounds like the starter solenoid...and that sounds like a weak battery. You said you tried with 2 good batteries, and that may be, but also may be that those batteries didn't have the amperage you need to crank.

Try jump starting...and, you should know if you did the cluster test right or not. '120' sound like a possible voltage reading, (it's #9 on cluster), but others might display that also.

I think you'll start with a jump start.

HTH

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
stockgp

The clicks are coming from inside. Did you watch the video? Its def not the solenoid.

And by known good battery, I mean the second one is sux month old battery from my pickup. I put it back in my pickup after trying to start the bmw, and the truck cranks just fine. So I know that battery has the cranking amps.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
That sounds like the starter solenoid. If the known good batteries didn't work, check the connection to starter...the cable under +terminal under hood goes directly to it. Remove nut and look underneath for corrosion. Otherwise, the starter is near the firewall...and those repeat clicks is what I got when my car's battery died on me. Check for tightness, corrosion on all parts of the electric system from battery to starter...ground to body in trunk by the battery...engine ground straps.

GL...hth

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote