E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 03:56 AM   #41
SteadyMobbin

My Ride: ImolaZHP 6spd M/T
What exactly is this bg moa stuff? And can some one explain to me how it helps with oil loss...? Does it thicken the oil.
SteadyMobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #42
mikhit

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadyMobbin View Post
What exactly is this bg moa stuff? And can some one explain to me how it helps with oil loss...? Does it thicken the oil.
I offered a brief explanation of MOA in post #6. To recap: it is essentially ATF with other detergent additives.

The idea is that it will help clean and break up sludge or sticky components within the engine. People use MOA for a variety of reasons, including to help quiet noisy lifters (which may be sticking), as well as overall good engine health.

In the case of oil consumption, it is possible that MOA will help IF you're losing oil past the rings because they are sticking and not floating freely. Stinger's post #11 was a great overview of the purpose of each of the rings, and you can understand why they must slide freely.

But if your oil consumption is the result of some other internal issue, you probably will not experience much, if any, improvement.

So, I say again, this is certainly no cure all. I have personally experienced decent consumption improvement from my use of MOA over the last few months, and intend to continue to track it closely for more complete data. However, there is no guarantee that everybody's experience will be the same.

MOA from my dealership costs me about $12 a can (and evidently you can find it even cheaper online or buying in bulk), so its definitely worth a try IMO.

Good luck
mikhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #43
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Here is the direct quote for MOA

BG MOA® prevents oxidation and thickening of engine oil under even the most severe stop-and-go, high temperature driving conditions. It fortifies all qualities of engine oil to provide superior long-lasting engine protection and helps maintain optimum engine performance. BG MOA® keeps piston ring belts, hydraulic lifters and other engine components clean to help extend engine life and reduce costs of operation. It is compatible with both synthetic and petroleum-base oils. The Thin Film Oxidation Uptake Test (TFOUT), ASTM Test Method D4742, proves BG MOA

, proves BG MOA

Last edited by flashmeow; 12-18-2012 at 10:20 AM.
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #44
flashmeow
Banned User

, proves BG MOA's remarkable resistance to oxidation by more than 200% longer than six major brands of SL quality oil. At the conclusion of the API Sequence IIIF Engine Test***8218; a major brand, high-quality reference oil barely passed the 80-hour test with a viscosity increase of 255 percent. At 80 hours, another brand of oil fortified with BG MOA® had a viscosity increase of only 57 percent. At the conclusion of the triple-length, 240-hour test, it was still well within the viscosity limits with an increase of only 198 percent.

Last edited by flashmeow; 12-18-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #45
hizhinezz
Outlier

My Ride: 01 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
What kind of speeds were you doing on the highway? Is there any relationship between speed and consumption in your experience?
My car goes through more oil the harder it is driven point blank. When I drive it carefully and at lower rpms the light comes on much later. When I get my foot in it for a little while, just know that light is coming on soon. Sad and simple but true.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #46
asma123

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
What kind of speeds were you doing on the highway? Is there any relationship between speed and consumption in your experience?
More than likely it has something to do with the oil flow since the rpm are not shooting up all the time where as in city they are.

I was doing roughly 90km-140km ish it was a long trip so yeah
asma123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #47
zuckuss00

My Ride: K24Z7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhit View Post
I offered a brief explanation of MOA in post #6. To recap: it is essentially ATF with other detergent additives.

The idea is that it will help clean and break up sludge or sticky components within the engine. People use MOA for a variety of reasons, including to help quiet noisy lifters (which may be sticking), as well as overall good engine health.

In the case of oil consumption, it is possible that MOA will help IF you're losing oil past the rings because they are sticking and not floating freely. Stinger's post #11 was a great overview of the purpose of each of the rings, and you can understand why they must slide freely.

But if your oil consumption is the result of some other internal issue, you probably will not experience much, if any, improvement.

So, I say again, this is certainly no cure all. I have personally experienced decent consumption improvement from my use of MOA over the last few months, and intend to continue to track it closely for more complete data. However, there is no guarantee that everybody's experience will be the same.

MOA from my dealership costs me about $12 a can (and evidently you can find it even cheaper online or buying in bulk), so its definitely worth a try IMO.

Good luck
Thanks for the recap. We appreciate the contribution.

UUC Motorwerks | Vörsteiner | JLeviSW | VMR | DTM-Spec | Euro Dyne | ModBargains | EAS
zuckuss00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:49 AM   #48
SteadyMobbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhit View Post

Good luck
Thanks, I think ima give it a shot along with some thicker oil on my next change. Not sure if it will help or not but I guess its worth a shot...
Old 12-19-2012, 02:55 AM   #49
avangeline

My Ride: bmw
You are doing everything correctly. Very unusual!
avangeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #50
SteadyMobbin

Ok I found this, looks like the best deal on ebay without having to spend over 100.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=95583400128

Is this the right stuff, #110?
Old 12-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #51
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadyMobbin View Post
Ok I found this, looks like the best deal on ebay without having to spend over 100.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=95583400128

Is this the right stuff, #110?
Yup. That is the correct product

sent from my HTC EVO+ using Bimmer App
Old 12-30-2012, 06:05 AM   #52
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
I too have been using BG products for years and most techs I know swear by it. The BG guys used to do a demo at a local Ford dealership. They have a Chevy 350 up on the bed of a truck. the 350 (obviously) runs MOA in the engine. They start the engine and let it warm up and then drop the oil pan and continue to run the engine for 45 minutes. They check bearing journals with an IR gun and the temps never go much over 400 degrees... Even after 45 minutes of running with no oil in the pan.

I bought a case a few changes ago. I too have had a mysterious increase in consumption recently. I just bought Mobil 1 0W-40 to try out. I'll need to change in the next 1k miles so we'll see.

BTW... BG stands for Bearing & Gear... They started as a bearing and gear company and looked for ways to improve lubrication. It looks like they found it with MOA. I need to get some 44K also... I'm out.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #53
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
very interesting read guys. I'll be buying MOA and 44k as well. Just waiting for CCV system to be replaced.
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:37 AM   #54
zuckuss00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post
I too have been using BG products for years and most techs I know swear by it. The BG guys used to do a demo at a local Ford dealership. They have a Chevy 350 up on the bed of a truck. the 350 (obviously) runs MOA in the engine. They start the engine and let it warm up and then drop the oil pan and continue to run the engine for 45 minutes. They check bearing journals with an IR gun and the temps never go much over 400 degrees... Even after 45 minutes of running with no oil in the pan.

I bought a case a few changes ago. I too have had a mysterious increase in consumption recently. I just bought Mobil 1 0W-40 to try out. I'll need to change in the next 1k miles so we'll see.

BTW... BG stands for Bearing & Gear... They started as a bearing and gear company and looked for ways to improve lubrication. It looks like they found it with MOA. I need to get some 44K also... I'm out.
Track the consumption and update us with the results. I'll be doing the same thing. Switching to a heavier oil and adding the BG MOA. Hope to see some results.

UUC Motorwerks | Vörsteiner | JLeviSW | VMR | DTM-Spec | Euro Dyne | ModBargains | EAS
Old 12-31-2012, 07:59 AM   #55
Hovs13

My Ride: E46 325ci
I'm curious to find out the results of using BG MOA. I too have the same issue. Fill us in if you see any improvement in consumption.
Hovs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:36 PM   #56
flashmeow
Banned User

I just realized that I need to get new MOAs. My oldest can had a production date of 2006. Hmm....I hate shelf life

Old 12-31-2012, 01:42 PM   #57
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
I just realized that I need to get new MOAs. My oldest can had a production date of 2006. Hmm....I hate shelf life

Probably still good. Call the manufacturer and add 50%.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:05 PM   #58
RockLee

My Ride: 99 328i. ZSP, ZPP,
Send a message via Yahoo to RockLee Send a message via Skype™ to RockLee
As far as I can tell. I only see people here with M54 engines. Huh.

My M52TUB28 Doesn't burn a single DROP of oil. I put in 7 quarts of oil and when I go to change it, It's still at the same spot on the dipstick.

1999 328i Sport Package, Premium Package, 5 speed, Alpine white.

Last edited by RockLee; 12-31-2012 at 02:05 PM.
RockLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:12 PM   #59
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLee View Post

My M52TUB28 Doesn't burn a single DROP of oil. I put in 7 quarts of oil and when I go to change it, It's still at the same spot on the dipstick.
Nice looking car. I've always thought white was a choice color for e46's.

Lot's of us here do the same thing with oil. Expect us to be the ones who write complaints here?
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:24 PM   #60
zuckuss00

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLee View Post
As far as I can tell. I only see people here with M54 engines. Huh.

I wouldn't say this issue is engine specific. People with the M52TU, M54 and M56 are reporting unusual oil consumption in here. The problems that cause it can happen to any engine.