E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
desrman

My Ride: BMW 330i
Bleeding screw broken

My bleeding screw broke today and i see smoke coming out from it when i drive. I live a few miles away from the dealership and also the dealership is closed now due to holidays. Is there any temporary fix you folks can suggest that can get me going for a couple of days before i get the replacement part from the dealership.
desrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
briangl92

My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by desrman View Post
My bleeding screw broke today and i see smoke coming out from it when i drive. I live a few miles away from the dealership and also the dealership is closed now due to holidays. Is there any temporary fix you folks can suggest that can get me going for a couple of days before i get the replacement part from the dealership.
I can't think of any...the cooling system is a pressurized system so taping the hole probably wouldn't work. Even a loose expansion tank cap or a bad cap gasket will have you spewing coolant so I don't think you have many options, unfortunately. If you do drive it (which I don't recommend), keep an eye on your temp needle. Also be sure to rebleed it once you get the new screw.

Just for the future, always keep spare bleed screws on hand or get a brass one. I've spoken with a BMW tech and he said they're essentially one time use.
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #3
desrman

Thanks!. What you said makes absolute sense.. i also see the coolant getting spewed everywhere as well.. with all the fragile plastic parts in these cars wonder how many spares i have to keep. Was hoping duct tape or some novel engineering solution can fix it for a while.. guess not

Also the temp needle goes rather quickly to the middle and stops moving further... does anyone have an explanation for that?. is it because of lack of pressurized environment?

Last edited by desrman; 12-25-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:35 AM   #4
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
As far as I know you can't buy the screw separate at the dealer, you will need to buy the entire upper hose (happened to me). To drive the car home I had to wrap around a rag but it will leak no matter what. In the meantime order a brass bleeder screw as well.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
ank

My Ride: BMW 323 e46
I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunatelly, Far away from home so I had to think of something. I took a small screw, for example like this
https://www.google.lt/search?q=screw...zsjSnCPwBR56M:
and screwed it into a small hole in the broken bleeding crew. In fact, I had to use two screws because there were even two small holes. And I managed to drive with this workaround around 1000 km.
So dont panic when this happens to you

Regarding the bleeding screw, it does sell at the dealer (at least here in lithuania). However the bigger problem is to unscrew broken bleeding screw. I couldnt managed to do it so I had to replace all upper hose.

Good luck._nr_
ank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:34 PM   #6
desrman

"bummer"
Old 12-27-2012, 01:03 AM   #7
JDez

My Ride: 2001 330i
Try your neighborhood autoparts store. I went to BAP import parts and bought 2 for 5 bucks.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App
JDez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
desrman

Awesome.. just for someone else who may have the same problem later on search for 119-06008-500 meyle on google and get it at your fav store..
Old 12-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #9
Sansho

My Ride: 2001 325i
It's great you can find another plastic one locally, however, for $4 to $5 you can get a brass one, and never worry about it again. Next time you put an order in to Autohausaz or any of the other parts suppliers, recommend ordering one. Don't know if any local shops carry the brass ones or not.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:06 AM   #10
wvBimmer3Series

My Ride: '92 318ic, '01 325xi
Same problem! I'm stranded in Kodak, TN (near Pigeon Forge) until the "screw" gets here, maybe the 3rd... I'm SCREWED, if I can't get the broken piece out. So, exactly how do I "bleed" the system say I am able to get the new screw in there??

Crkey. This New Year's trip is NOT going like I'd hoped.

Desman, what state is Hillsboro in? There's a Hillsboro about 30 minutes from where I live in WV.
wvBimmer3Series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #11
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
@desrman and @wvBimmer3Series

To get the broken bit out, it depends on how much of it is still in the hose coupler. If you can (CAREFULLY) use a Dremel to cut a slot in the remaining plastic and use a flat head screwdriver to unscrew it. If Dremel is not available, you could heat up the same said flat heat screwdriver and try to melt a slot into that plastic piece and try to get unscrew it that way.

To bleed the cooling system you'll need to get some BMW coolant and distilled water (mixed 50/50) and search "cooling system bleed". NOTE: it will take about 30 minutes to do it correctly and it's beneficial if you elevate your car's frontend a bit to help with the bleeding.

Good luck.

Last edited by BimmersGarage; 12-30-2012 at 07:47 AM.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #12
wvBimmer3Series

Thanks, I'm trying to call around now this morning trying to get some help.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #13
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
OP...I have that part in my garage. The neck and the screw. You can come down and get it if you are in TX. I'm near Temple. Or if wvbimmer3series wants it, I can ship it out. $10 plus shipping. Let me know how you want to ship it.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #14
wvBimmer3Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
OP...I have that part in my garage. The neck and the screw. You can come down and get it if you are in TX. I'm near Temple. Or if wvbimmer3series wants it, I can ship it out. $10 plus shipping. Let me know how you want to ship it.
Man, just missed this post... Thanks for the offer! But.... I just ordered the upper hose & am in wait mode.

Thanks again!

Update:
Finally home! Had to have a rental car until the screw got here... Whew, what a week!

Last edited by wvBimmer3Series; 01-03-2013 at 06:18 PM.