E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

View Poll Results: Which one would you pick?
2011 Nissan Skyline GTR 28 19.86%
2008/2009 Porsche 997 GT3 113 80.14%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #141
USCTrojanMan29

My Ride: Beauty & The Beater
Send a message via AIM to USCTrojanMan29 Send a message via Yahoo to USCTrojanMan29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
I wish I could afford to make this decision.

I say GT3 RS.
I'm too big for the race seats in the RS and the 2010+ RSs are $120k+.

Last edited by USCTrojanMan29; 12-30-2012 at 08:43 PM.
USCTrojanMan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #142
BruceWonder

My Ride: 2011.5 E92 M3
common...GT3 all the way
Old 12-30-2012, 10:43 PM   #143
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius View Post
You only heard one gtr with that problem? Damn I can name over 10 in the tri state lol.

Nissan put out a notice for it. So it's a free fix, just a sad 2-5 days without the car though
Well yeah, only one car around here. I've driven a few that had worn out bearings at around 40k miles and made noise/vibration (one of them at 22k or so) but only the one that actually failed and had to be towed in. I think all of them were 2009 or 2010 models also. So yeah the bearing is a common wear part, but so is a throwout bearing in a car with manual transmission and similar horsepower. I think GTRs are pretty much bulletproof as long as you don't stress the AWD or transmission beyond what they were designed to do. They don't like being driven in tight spaces or in traffic, that's for sure.

Last edited by hi its me alec; 12-30-2012 at 10:45 PM.
hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:06 PM   #144
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
The GT3 makes no sense at all in this case. The GT3 is a "stripped" track model. If you are looking for a track car, the GTR is far superior and MUCH MUCH faster. So, as a MACHINE, the GT3 isn't even in the running against the GTR, since if all you want is a track monster, the GTR is far superior. Now, if you want a fast daily driver, a GTR vs a regular Carrera of your choosing would make a lot more sense. This is where the GTR loses to the Porsche. It loses on the name. It loses on the curb appeal. It loses on the panty dropping factor. However, like I said, as a driving machine who's sole purpose is fast laptimes, there isn't really a contest.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:40 PM   #145
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Quote:
A Porsche chassis engineer took a standard GT-R bought in the United States with regular road tires, and tested it on the same day against a Porsche 911 GT2 and a Porsche 911 Turbo. According to Porsche, the GT-R posted a time of 7m 54s, with the 911 Turbo managing 7m 38s and the 911 GT2 getting down to 7m 34s.
No contest.

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:59 PM   #146
Laylow

My Ride: Honda
Listen to this man....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
The GT3 makes no sense at all in this case. The GT3 is a "stripped" track model. If you are looking for a track car, the GTR is far superior and MUCH MUCH faster. So, as a MACHINE, the GT3 isn't even in the running against the GTR, since if all you want is a track monster, the GTR is far superior. Now, if you want a fast daily driver, a GTR vs a regular Carrera of your choosing would make a lot more sense. This is where the GTR loses to the Porsche. It loses on the name. It loses on the curb appeal. It loses on the panty dropping factor. However, like I said, as a driving machine who's sole purpose is fast laptimes, there isn't really a contest.
Laylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:03 AM   #147
iwannagofast

My Ride: 01 330ci
Send a message via AIM to iwannagofast
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 View Post
I got some good news today...a job offer with a decent bump in pay. I already have an 05 ZCP M3 and I'm getting the itch to pick up a second car sometime next year. I've narrowed it down to a new Nissan Skyline GTR and a used (08-09) 997 GT3. Which one would you pick and why? I'm leaning towards the GT3 but the GTR can be such a monster with some mods.
O, Big dik.....

My contribution sorry it lacks a real response

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Bimmer App

xbox live: stopthisfall
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:03 AM   #148
USCTrojanMan29

My Ride: Beauty & The Beater
Send a message via AIM to USCTrojanMan29 Send a message via Yahoo to USCTrojanMan29
Quote:
I'll probably only have time to do about 5-7 track days a year so I'm definitely not strictly looking for a track car (if I did, I'd go in a completely different direction). I'll definitely drive the car more around town on the weekends and after I get back from work.
USCTrojanMan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:51 AM   #149
widebody350

My Ride: 350Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 View Post
I'll probably only have time to do about 5-7 track days a year so I'm definitely not strictly looking for a track car (if I did, I'd go in a completely different direction). I'll definitely drive the car more around town on the weekends and after I get back from work.
The GTR has more room inside, with larger seats than the Porsche GT3 and will likely be a better DD. If you have to deal with a lot of traffic the DCT in the GTR may also be the better option than the manual only Porsche GT3.

I didn't read through all of this thread, but look into a 997 Porsche Turbo which is around $75-80k IIRC. This car would be a bit better than the GT3 as far as DD goes and is obviously a Porsche which is going to be better build quality, be more recognizable, respectable and panty dropper. If you raise your budget you can also look into the Turbo PDK if you are worried about traffic.

Everyone has their limit of what they are willing to put up with as a DD. some people can DD a GT3 RS, Lotus Elise/Exige, and others can't DD anything short of a 7 series/S class. The GTR or the Turbo may be the fastest around a track, but will lack the fun, driver involved experience of a GT3 or GT3 RS. If the car is going to be an occasional, nice weather DD I would probably take the GT3 RS if it was an option. The GT3 vs Turbo vs GTR would be a difficult decision.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:34 AM   #150
dualbob103

My Ride: Mums
Did not know the gtr will beat the gt3 by so much..
damn, didn't know the gtr was also faster then the gt3 rs also..

(how do you post youtube videos on this forum?)

Last edited by dualbob103; 12-31-2012 at 07:41 AM.
dualbob103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:22 AM   #151
Kain

My Ride: E39 M5...sold!
Quote:
Did not know the gtr will beat the gt3 by so much..
damn, didn't know the gtr was also faster then the gt3 rs also..

(how do you post youtube videos on this forum?)

You're welcome.

Last edited by Kain; 12-31-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:24 AM   #152
Kain

My Ride: E39 M5...sold!
To post a YouTube video on the forums, go to the YouTube video, click on "Share," then copy the link, and post here.
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:34 AM   #153
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
Nissan contracts fisher price for their interior design. Cheap/plastic/ugly

///M

Last edited by Redline; 12-31-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:40 AM   #154
dualbob103

My Ride: Mums
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M=Power View Post
Nissan contracts fisher price for their interior design. Cheap/plastic/ugly
10000x true
dualbob103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:05 PM   #155
RockLee

My Ride: 99 328i. ZSP, ZPP,
Send a message via Yahoo to RockLee Send a message via Skype™ to RockLee
The things that I would consider are.

What the car would be used for.
Cost of maintenece when the car goes out of warrenty.
Cost of insurance.
Aftermarket parts avaliability.
Cost of the aftermarket parts vs cost of factory parts.

Etc.

I'd go on a GTR and GT3 forum and look around there as well.

Again. I'd go for the new GTR vs a used Porshe.

1999 328i Sport Package, Premium Package, 5 speed, Alpine white.
RockLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:12 PM   #156
RockLee

Quote:
10000x true
That may be the case but, When you sit in the GTR do you really just concentrate on how cheap the interior is? Or do you simply not care?

I mean look at the corvette. People don't buy them for the interior. They buy them because they're beast.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:16 PM   #157
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
The interior of the GTR does not feel cheap. It's not a Ferrari or Bentley but you guys are complete idiots if you think the GTR has an interior comparable to a Corvette. The materials are absolutely fine, the seats are wicked comfortable (wouldn't hesitate to drive across the country,) and the dash layout is intuitive and nice. It's not like you're driving around with the equivalent of a Sentra interior just because it's the same brand. It's the same comparable quality as the R34/R33/R32 were in their day.

My main gripe with the interior of the GTR is the center console area by the shifter. You can't keep anything there because it will either scratch the painted surface or fly all around inside the car, or both.

Last edited by hi its me alec; 12-31-2012 at 12:17 PM.
hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:29 PM   #158
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
You drive a S2000, you should know faster lap times != better track car.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:33 PM   #159
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Not a gt3, but it speaks a thousand words

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:46 PM   #160
RockLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi its me alec View Post
The interior of the GTR does not feel cheap. It's not a Ferrari or Bentley but you guys are complete idiots if you think the GTR has an interior comparable to a Corvette. The materials are absolutely fine, the seats are wicked comfortable (wouldn't hesitate to drive across the country,) and the dash layout is intuitive and nice. It's not like you're driving around with the equivalent of a Sentra interior just because it's the same brand. It's the same comparable quality as the R34/R33/R32 were in their day.

My main gripe with the interior of the GTR is the center console area by the shifter. You can't keep anything there because it will either scratch the painted surface or fly all around inside the car, or both.
I don't know about anybody else but I didn't compair the interior of the GTR against the Corvette. All I'm saying is that people buy the corvette NOT for the interior QUALITY. (Not layout.) But because the thing is a beast. Same would go for the GTR. (If the interior quality is lacking, IDK. I haven't seen one in person.)