E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 03:18 AM   #1
M3Dux

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert
My hardtop

I picked up my hardtop on Thanksgiving day and finally received my kit on Friday. I waited overnight and most of the day on Saturday to let the ragtop dry-- with a fan in the garage--before putting the hardtop on. I read somewhere that it was not a good idea to store the ragtop away while it was wet. Well, anyways, here it is:

I went to get gas and some food to see the difference. There are no leaks, so far, and I have noticed a substantial difference, with regards to the following: cabin noise is much lower, the interior feels warmer, the car seems to handle better, and my HK sounds less sh!tty.

I think all vert owners should invest in a hardtop. Now, I have to empty out my car to compensate for the 75lbs added weight. I plan to paint it next year when more funds are available.

E46 M3 Vert (Current)
Exterior: Umnitza AE, Hardtop, CSL Trunk, CSL Diffuser.
Interior: CF trim.
Engine/Performance: 4.10s, RE El Diablo, MS Charge Kit, air intake scoops.
Suspensions/Wheels: 19" BBS LM, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, 15mm rear spring pads, MS 5mm/12mm Spacers.
Summer project: OEM CSL headers, S/CD Rotors, and KWv3.

E90 325i (Retired)
Stock
M3Dux is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:51 AM   #2
ANREC330

My Ride: C6 Vette & M3
How much did you pick it up for?
ANREC330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
nawewawe

My Ride: 03 M3 Hardtop/Vert
Now what you need is a stand to place your hardtop on when you take it off. If your interested ill do 150.00 shipped its the same one from ECS Tuning and btw congrats on your hardtop I got mine 3months ago its same as yours.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
Zenocchio

My Ride: M3 vert e46 SMG
Nice one! What colour is your car? It looks like mine!
Zenocchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #5
nawewawe

My color is tit. silver met. color code 354
Old 12-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
M3Dux

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawewawe View Post
Now what you need is a stand to place your hardtop on when you take it off. If your interested ill do 150.00 shipped its the same one from ECS Tuning and btw congrats on your hardtop I got mine 3months ago its same as yours.
I'll probably get one, sometime, next year but I think I might get a lift device for it so I can store it at the ceiling of the garage. I found one locally for $95 so I might pick that up if that's the route I want to pursue:

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/3412654962.html

E46 M3 Vert (Current)
Suspensions/Wheels: 19" BBS LM, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, 15mm rear spring pads, MS 5mm/12mm Spacers.

E90 325i (Retired)
Stock
Old 12-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
M3Dux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenocchio View Post
Nice one! What colour is your car? It looks like mine!
I think the hardtop is silver metallic but I'm uncertain. My car is topaz blue and I want to paint the hardtop, next year, to match the car. I feel bad stripping and painting over a great oem BMW paint but I'm not a big fan of two tone paint jobs.

What year is your car?

E46 M3 Vert (Current)

E90 325i (Retired)
Stock
Old 12-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
nawewawe

Sounds good, the ceiling one are better and yes u did het a tit silver met cause its that same color as my hardtop and car anywayz enjoy ur new top
Old 12-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #9
bimmernut3

My Ride: '05 330cic, '01 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Dux View Post
I picked up my hardtop on Thanksgiving day and finally received my kit on Friday. I waited overnight and most of the day on Saturday to let the ragtop dry-- with a fan in the garage--before putting the hardtop on. I read somewhere that it was not a good idea to store the ragtop away while it was wet. Well, anyways, here it is:

I went to get gas and some food to see the difference. There are no leaks, so far, and I have noticed a substantial difference, with regards to the following: cabin noise is much lower, the interior feels warmer, the car seems to handle better, and my HK sounds less sh!tty.

I think all vert owners should invest in a hardtop. Now, I have to empty out my car to compensate for the 75lbs added weight. I plan to paint it next year when more funds are available.
Nice job & write up M3dup...Yea, mine looked the same before painting. Try to find a shop that will use the BMW oem paint (Glasurit by BASF) You're lucky, from what I see you got the top with the black out trim instead of the chrome.

[IMG][/IMG]
bimmernut3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #10
M3Dux

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernut3 View Post
Nice job & write up M3dup...Yea, mine looked the same before painting. Try to find a shop that will use the BMW oem paint (Glasurit by BASF) You're lucky, from what I see you got the top with the black out trim instead of the chrome.
Thanks for letting me know about the paint. I'll definitely mention it.

BTW, I tried researching but the instructions were a little confusing bc of the pictures. How did you tighten up your hardtop so there is less gap on the trunk area. The gap from your sig appears to be less pronounced than mine. I tried a wrench to tighten the bolt in the latch cubby hole of the hardtop. Is that the best way to do it? Or do I need remove the hardtop?

Thanks in advance.

E46 M3 Vert (Current)

E90 325i (Retired)
Stock
Old 12-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #11
danwilz

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert 2012 X5
Quote:

BTW, I tried researching but the instructions were a little confusing bc of the pictures. How did you tighten up your hardtop so there is less gap on the trunk area. The gap from your sig appears to be less pronounced than mine. I tried a wrench to tighten the bolt in the latch cubby hole of the hardtop. Is that the best way to do it? Or do I need remove the hardtop?

Thanks in advance.
Do not make it too tight or you will scratch your paint. Ask me how i know
Oh and mark the pin position because it has 1 inch of play once you loosen it.
Also remove the top loosen the bottom nut raise the pin and then tighten the top nut, same procedure in reverse for making it looser dont do more than a 1/4 in at a time. Try it then if not good enough do it again.

Last edited by danwilz; 12-03-2012 at 12:12 PM.
danwilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #12
bimmernut3

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
@M3Dux...It's pretty much like what damwiltz said. what I did was;
1. released all 4 hold down clamps. This allowed the back to move up.
2. I placed a rolled up towel under the front & back bottom to raise the seal foam strip to up as much as I could get it. it was about 2" above now
3. I took a rag & cleaned the seal at the the bottom back. Then I applied a rubber/vinyl trim cleaner & lube to the seal bottom. This would hopefully allow the seal to move with the car. Then I made sure the painted surface that the seal would sit on was clean & had a good wax on it. again, to allow it the 'slide' so to speak.
4. The drivers side was about 3/16 higher than the Pass side. So I loosened both the top & bottom nuts on the locking lever bolt on the drivers side. I measure the pass. side distance of the bolt & compaired to the passenger side & turned the clamping bolt up to make it the same distance as the drivers side. I snugged them with my fingers & then clamped all 4 lock levers & checked the 'gap' around the rear outside back edge to see if it was more equal. If I liked it, I then unclamped the locks and used the wrench to tighten the nuts.

I guess I'll see if the seal scratches the paint in the spring when I take off the top.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #13
Cayne23

My Ride: 2002 m3 convertible
Hi everyone. Im a new m3 vert owner and i love it!! this is the first time i've been.on.the.vert forum. The guy i bought my car from also included the hardtop with the sale. I wouldnt.have.bought a vert w/o the hardtop. The past 2 winters here it has snowed alot and i wouldnt want that on my soft top. I love the top down but the first time it got cold at night this year i put the hardtop on. Its nice. Only took 2 min to put it on. Car is beautiful. I have figured out the clogged drain hole problems under the top too
Cayne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #14
SPEEDCHIP

My Ride: E90 335I
That look good.
SPEEDCHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #15
bimmernut3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayne23 View Post
Hi everyone. Im a new m3 vert owner and i love it!! this is the first time i've been.on.the.vert forum. The guy i bought my car from also included the hardtop with the sale. I wouldnt.have.bought a vert w/o the hardtop. The past 2 winters here it has snowed alot and i wouldnt want that on my soft top. I love the top down but the first time it got cold at night this year i put the hardtop on. Its nice. Only took 2 min to put it on. Car is beautiful. I have figured out the clogged drain hole problems under the top too
@cayne23..what clogged drains are you referring to? The ones in the soft tops storage area? or are you talking about others?

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-07-2012, 01:00 AM   #16
M3Dux

Quote:
@M3Dux...It's pretty much like what damwiltz said. what I did was;
1. released all 4 hold down clamps. This allowed the back to move up.
2. I placed a rolled up towel under the front & back bottom to raise the seal foam strip to up as much as I could get it. it was about 2" above now
3. I took a rag & cleaned the seal at the the bottom back. Then I applied a rubber/vinyl trim cleaner & lube to the seal bottom. This would hopefully allow the seal to move with the car. Then I made sure the painted surface that the seal would sit on was clean & had a good wax on it. again, to allow it the 'slide' so to speak.t
4. The drivers side was about 3/16 higher than the Pass side. So I loosened both the top & bottom nuts on the locking lever bolt on the drivers side. I measure the pass. side distance of the bolt & compaired to the passenger side & turned the clamping bolt up to make it the same distance as the drivers side. I snugged them with my fingers & then clamped all 4 lock levers & checked the 'gap' around the rear outside back edge to see if it was more equal. If I liked it, I then unclamped the locks and used the wrench to tighten the nuts.

I guess I'll see if the seal scratches the paint in the spring when I take off the top.
Thanks you for the advice. Trying to do it right now. Just to be sure when I loosen the top and bottom nut, the bolt will be able to move but will tightening the bolt higher than before reduce the gap?

E46 M3 Vert (Current)

E90 325i (Retired)
Stock
Old 12-07-2012, 06:48 AM   #17
bimmernut3

Quote:
Thanks you for the advice. Trying to do it right now. Just to be sure when I loosen the top and bottom nut, the bolt will be able to move but will tightening the bolt higher than before reduce the gap?
You will need to continue loosening the bottom nut as you screw the bolt up, otherwise it will just tighten up against the nut & not go anywhere.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-30-2012, 11:19 PM   #18
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Where are you guys finding these hardtops. I want one.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:02 AM   #19
Cayne23

My Ride: 2002 m3 convertible
Quote:
@cayne23..what clogged drains are you referring to? The ones in the soft tops storage area? or are you talking about others?
Yea the drain holes in the storage area. I used draino to clear up the problem. One the.drivers side, it took about 30 secs to work. On the pass side, i had to loosen up the main bracket. I marked where the nuts were, and.then lifted up the bracket about an inch. Then used a.coat hanger to clear it up. Just make sure.u flush the draino.really well
Cayne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:02 AM   #20
SMUUUUUV
///Motorcepts ///Maintained

My Ride: '02 330 Vert-'06 4.4
Nice, congrats.
SMUUUUUV is offline   Reply With Quote