E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
straight_beamin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: niagara falls
Posts: 790
My Ride: 2000 bmw 323i
Catless headers, Emission sniffer test in March

Ok so i have catless headers and no o2 sensors at all and i have an emission test with visual and sniffer inspection. Here are my two options which should i choose?

1. Get the EU2 Tune. (Turns off CEL and disables post o2 sensors) then put in 2 high flow catalytic converters and 2 precat o2 sensors.

2. Get 2 catalytic converters with o2 bungs installed and hope the dme doesnt throw inefficiency codes. (This allows me to get the shark or active tune down the road.


If you have any other ideas let me know! I have until march but time flys so im starting to gather parts! Thanks guys!
__________________
straight_beamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
jamex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 350
My Ride: 2005 325Ci
I'm assuming you're in Ontario, and by March the sniffer should be long gone. The driveclean program is retarded and the machines cost too much for shops to want to participate anymore. Check this link out.

http://www.ontariocanada.com/registr...postingId=2242

"The current dynamometer test and emission standards prescribed in section 9 of the regulation will be revoked as of January 1, 2013."

Basically if your car is 1998 or newer, there's no more sniffer. OBD2 test and possible visuals. Guess we won't know how strict they are until people start getting them done and report back. I'm hoping as long as you pass OBD2 and its a decent shop that isn't going to be a nazi about it, then things should get much better now.

Be sure to report back after your test.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000e46bmw323i View Post
Ok so i have catless headers and no o2 sensors at all and i have an emission test with visual and sniffer inspection. Here are my two options which should i choose?

1. Get the EU2 Tune. (Turns off CEL and disables post o2 sensors) then put in 2 high flow catalytic converters and 2 precat o2 sensors.

2. Get 2 catalytic converters with o2 bungs installed and hope the dme doesnt throw inefficiency codes. (This allows me to get the shark or active tune down the road.


If you have any other ideas let me know! I have until march but time flys so im starting to gather parts! Thanks guys!
jamex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:56 AM   #3
straight_beamin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: niagara falls
Posts: 790
My Ride: 2000 bmw 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamex View Post
I'm assuming you're in Ontario, and by March the sniffer should be long gone. The driveclean program is retarded and the machines cost too much for shops to want to participate anymore. Check this link out.

http://www.ontariocanada.com/registr...postingId=2242

"The current dynamometer test and emission standards prescribed in section 9 of the regulation will be revoked as of January 1, 2013."

Basically if your car is 1998 or newer, there's no more sniffer. OBD2 test and possible visuals. Guess we won't know how strict they are until people start getting them done and report back. I'm hoping as long as you pass OBD2 and its a decent shop that isn't going to be a nazi about it, then things should get much better now.

Be sure to report back after your test.
Wait ... So all i need is the eu2 tune or active tune and my precat o2 sensors? Should i even worry about cats? With those tunes everything comes back as ok on obdii port
__________________
straight_beamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
jamex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 350
My Ride: 2005 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000e46bmw323i View Post
Wait ... So all i need is the eu2 tune or active tune and my precat o2 sensors? Should i even worry about cats? With those tunes everything comes back as ok on obdii port
edit: your other thread is getting more info right now. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=963193

Last edited by jamex; 12-31-2012 at 11:49 AM.
jamex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is OFF





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use