E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

View Poll Results: Which one would you pick?
2011 Nissan Skyline GTR 28 19.86%
2008/2009 Porsche 997 GT3 113 80.14%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 01:11 PM   #161
nikkeiS2K

My Ride: N/A
Send a message via ICQ to nikkeiS2K Send a message via AIM to nikkeiS2K Send a message via MSN to nikkeiS2K Send a message via Yahoo to nikkeiS2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLee View Post
I don't know about anybody else but I didn't compair the interior of the GTR against the Corvette. All I'm saying is that people buy the corvette NOT for the interior QUALITY. (Not layout.) But because the thing is a beast. Same would go for the GTR. (If the interior quality is lacking, IDK. I haven't seen one in person.)
Definitely see a GTR in person when you get the chance. Whoever said the interior is on par with a Corvette is a complete idiot. Even the newer/higher-end Corvette's have interiors that are still mediocre compared to the price you pay. They really need a new designer and I believe that you can make huge improvements without cost being a an issue.
nikkeiS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:26 PM   #162
RockLee

My Ride: 99 328i. ZSP, ZPP,
Send a message via Yahoo to RockLee Send a message via Skype™ to RockLee
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkeiS2K View Post
Definitely see a GTR in person when you get the chance. Whoever said the interior is on par with a Corvette is a complete idiot. Even the newer/higher-end Corvette's have interiors that are still mediocre compared to the price you pay. They really need a new designer and I believe that you can make huge improvements without cost being a an issue.
That's another thing. I personally like modding cars. So what car would be better (Cheaper) to mod and what car can take the mods easier. Assuming the OP is going to mod the car in the future.

I'm assuming the GTR is cheaper to mod because it's well...a Nissan. Compaired to the Porcshe.
But I'm probably talking out of my ass because the Nissan in question is a GTR.

1999 328i Sport Package, Premium Package, 5 speed, Alpine white.

Last edited by RockLee; 12-31-2012 at 01:30 PM.
RockLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #163
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
That's another thing. I personally like modding cars. So what car would be better (Cheaper) to mod and what car can take the mods easier. Assuming the OP is going to mod the car in the future.

I'm assuming the GTR is cheaper to mod because it's well...a Nissan. Compaired to the Porcshe.
But I'm probably talking out of my ass because the Nissan in question is a GTR.
o word cool story

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:13 PM   #164
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius View Post
10000x true
Quote:
That may be the case but, When you sit in the GTR do you really just concentrate on how cheap the interior is? Or do you simply not care?

I mean look at the corvette. People don't buy them for the interior. They buy them because they're beast.
I was just stating the interior is meh...

But both are solid cars and fun to drive. But the gtr is a gt and has back seats. It SHOULD have a nicer interior since it isnt a full on sports car like the vette. And its higher starting price. The z06/zr1 arent meant for the streets IMO. Too raw, too much power. Ride rough (you can feel a cigarette butt on the road if you hit one) both belong on a track. Gtr is more daily driver friendly. The interior isnt terrible....but it isnt great either.

///M

Last edited by Redline; 12-31-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #165
nikkeiS2K

Send a message via ICQ to nikkeiS2K Send a message via AIM to nikkeiS2K Send a message via MSN to nikkeiS2K Send a message via Yahoo to nikkeiS2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M=Power View Post
I was just stating the interior is meh...

But both are solid cars and fun to drive. But the gtr is a gt and has back seats. It SHOULD have a nicer interior since it isnt a full on sports car like the vette. And its higher starting price. The z06/zr1 arent meant for the streets IMO. Too raw, too much power. Belong on a track.
I feel like even though it is made more for the track it doesn't mean they can lack in the interior department. There are many imported cars that do a better job in their economy cars. While the Corvette doesn't need a luxurious interior Chevy can use better engineers to design a better compartment. It is still a production car after all and not everyone plans to rip out / replace their dash and seats.

Last edited by nikkeiS2K; 12-31-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:46 PM   #166
Redline

Quote:
I feel like even though it is made more for the track it doesn't mean they can lack in the interior department. There are many imported cars that do a better job in their economy cars. While the Corvette doesn't need a luxurious interior Chevy can use better engineers to design a better compartment. It is still a production car after all and not everyone plans to rip out / replace their dash and seats.
Look at porsche and ferraris track cars that sort of match the z06/zr1 performance. Nothing inside...3x the price and slower.

But yes corvettes c6 base/grandsport need better interiors.

///M

Last edited by Redline; 12-31-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:08 PM   #167
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 View Post
I'll probably only have time to do about 5-7 track days a year so I'm definitely not strictly looking for a track car (if I did, I'd go in a completely different direction). I'll definitely drive the car more around town on the weekends and after I get back from work.
In that case, you are shopping for the wrong Porsche. You should be looking at a Carrera4s vs the GTR not the GT3. You will have fun on the track with a carrera, but you will have a much better daily driver, a nicer interior, a more comfortable ride, etc. Having said all that, I would probably get a brand new M5 if it was my money being spent, followed by the GTR. I do love Porsche, and the GTS was on my short list, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend the money...didn't feel like it was worth it. For a mostly street driven vehicle with comfort, sport, curb appeal, etc, I'd look at the Aston AMV8 as well. Yes it isn't nearly as fast as the GTR or the GT3, but the noise, the presence, and panty dropping is second to none.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:10 PM   #168
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
That may be the case but, When you sit in the GTR do you really just concentrate on how cheap the interior is? Or do you simply not care?

I mean look at the corvette. People don't buy them for the interior. They buy them because they're beast.
The new GTRs have a very nice interior. It's not Bentley nice, but it isn't any worse than the Porsche. What most people here fail to mention is that those "pretty luxury" interiors they all sweat on the photos are optional extras...as most things on a Porsche. A leather dash, leather doors, etc are all options. A barebones Porsche interior isn't luxurious AT ALL. Furthermore, a GT3 interior, while purpose built, is nothing to write home about. The comfort level in a GTR vs a 911 is also not even a contest.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 12-31-2012 at 04:15 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:12 PM   #169
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdrivedrift View Post
You drive a S2000, you should know faster lap times != better track car.
The GTR is faster in almost every measurable category over a GT3, especially a 2009 GT3. My point is, if someone is buying a track monster only, then a GT3 shouldn't even be considered.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:14 PM   #170
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
If you think the GTR interior is "cheaper" than a GT3, you have never sat in either.

The GT3 interior is as spartan as it gets, and not comfortable in the least.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 12-31-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:15 PM   #171
nikkeiS2K

AMV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
If you think the GTR interior is "cheaper" than a GT3, you have never sat in either.

The GT3 interior is as spartan as it gets, and not comfortable in the least.
I was talking about the Corvette interiors and how crappy they are
I've personally seen the US and Japanese versions of the GTR and both have excellent interiors. No complaints here.
That and the guy comparing the GTR interior to the Corvette interior is a complete idiot.

Last edited by nikkeiS2K; 12-31-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:17 PM   #172
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
AMV8
Slightly used they can be picked up for a decent price. Again, much slower than both the GTR and the GT3, but you don't care when it is street driven.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:22 PM   #173
nikkeiS2K

Quote:
Slightly used they can be picked up for a decent price. Again, much slower than both the GTR and the GT3, but you don't care when it is street driven.
My definition of a weekend car is something flashy and sounds nice. I definitely wouldn't care about how slow it is because like you said it will be street driven where the fastest I will be going is 80mph on the freeways.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:28 PM   #174
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Quote:
The GTR is faster in almost every measurable category over a GT3, especially a 2009 GT3. My point is, if someone is buying a track monster only, then a GT3 shouldn't even be considered.

Have you ever been to a track?

Out of all the events I've been to, I've seen three different GTR's (and one of them went home on the hook). I have seen countless 997 GT3's, GT2's, Turbos, and regular Carreras.

What do you know about track cars that they don't?

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:44 PM   #175
Redline

Pretty much porsche, ferrari, bmw, corvette dominate the racetracks.

///M
Old 12-31-2012, 04:56 PM   #176
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post

Have you ever been to a track?

Out of all the events I've been to, I've seen three different GTR's (and one of them went home on the hook). I have seen countless 997 GT3's, GT2's, Turbos, and regular Carreras.

What do you know about track cars that they don't?
I'm been to a track plenty of times. First of all, the GTR on the hook doesn't show anything other than the driver making a mistake. Second, a GTR is easier for an average driver to extract more potential. A Porsche is far less forgiving and requires far more skill to reach peak performance. You have seen 3 GTRs huh? They must have had republican drivers right?
Old 12-31-2012, 04:58 PM   #177
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M=Power View Post
Pretty much porsche, ferrari, bmw, corvette dominate the racetracks.
Hate to bring a sense of commonality to the debate, but you do realize that the GTR is almost 2 seconds faster a lap on the Top gear test track than the enzo and almost 4 seconds faster than a Carrera GT right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ower_Lap_Times

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 12-31-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:43 PM   #178
Elvin123

My Ride: 328i
Gt3
Old 12-31-2012, 05:45 PM   #179
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Old 12-31-2012, 05:56 PM   #180
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Quote:
I'm been to a track plenty of times. First of all, the GTR on the hook doesn't show anything other than the driver making a mistake.
Yes, and that mistake was buying a GTR for track use.

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote