E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #21
Kititolay

My Ride: E46 328i
Thanks for the post
Kititolay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #22
username11

My Ride: 13 E92 M3, 11 E92 M3
Thanks for this DIY. I am following it in approximation for an M3.

Just wanted to share my experience with trying to take the pump apart. I tried the pry method with a thin screwdriver, no luck. After about an hour of trying I smashed the **** out of it with a hammer. My logic being if I couldn't get it open to repair it I might as well see what it looked like inside.

The motor turned out to be completely rusted out and bound up; but after a bit of jimmying I got the armature free. So I could have fixed it.

You will need to vice clamps that you can twist separately with a lot of forced to properly get this thing apart if it is seized. Prying will probably not work like it did for the OP.
username11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #23
adrianpl

My Ride: 01 330ci
You can buy one for $8 bucks. But if you like a challenge go for it. Great DIY
adrianpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:25 AM   #24
G3n15z

My Ride: '00 BMW 318i
Send a message via MSN to G3n15z
Great DIY
G3n15z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #25
Chris3Duke

My washers aren't working. Any chance the lines could be frozen if the tank isn't? It's been in the teens for a week here.

I guess the next step is to test the voltage with a multimeter, then go from there.
Chris3Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:33 PM   #26
mikeypx82

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330i
Windshield washers not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsnospam View Post
My washers stopped spraying suddenly. I first got a warning about low washer fluid level, went out and bought some fluid and poured in about 0.5 gallon. Tried to spray after a couple of days, nothing. Not even relays clicking, or motor trying to turn.

If I check the voltage on the cable connector with a very good multimeter, it reads 9.6V even when the car is off, no key in ignition. On turning on, and clicking the wheel wand for spray, no change in voltage, still about 9.6V.

I read somewhere that the wiper relay could be bad in the E-box.
1. Does the wiper relay also control spray motor?
2. Can i test the relay before purchasing replacement? Can i swap in another relay from the e-box?
3. If I have to replace the pump, will any aftermarket pump be ok?

thanks.
Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I'm having the same issue.

I recently bought a 2005 330i. Mine came with headlight washers and they ARE working but the windshield washers are NOT working. I checked to voltage on the windshield washer connection and it reads 9.3V even when the car is off and the key is out of the ignition. The headlight washers read 0V when the car is off and the key is out of the ignition.
I checked the fuses, they are all fine.
mikeypx82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #27
pop12pop

My Ride: 03 325
Guys,if you pull out the motor you'll see there is a little rubber washer between the motor spindle and the bottom of the plastic container.I put some bath tub silicone on the washer and put the motor back in now the little square weep hole is not leaking anymore.
pop12pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #28
Skunk0001

My Ride: E46
+1 on the "Great Post". Fixed my washers in 10 mins.

Thanks
Skunk0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #29
mybmwisallst0ck

My Ride: BMW '02-330Ci, '99M3
Glad I checked here.

Mine stopped working a few months ago, hope this can fix it.

EDIT: Used the T taps, I assumed the red wire was the hot wire and connected that to the BROWN wire on the BMW. I also assumed that the Non-red wire (Yellow) was ground and black on the bmw was ground.

Tapped it in, connected it and nothing.... come back hour later and try it again and it started sputtering out. Got a needle to clean up the spray and it works!

$18 for pump and fluid. THANKS!

Last edited by mybmwisallst0ck; 07-03-2013 at 10:52 AM.
mybmwisallst0ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:16 AM   #30
lwr

My Ride: BMW E46
Thanks for the tutorial, it's great. I'm a 28 y girl, and I needed to change the washer fluid pump. My uncle didn't wanted to help me, so I just tried for myself and managed.
I feel great and thanks a lot again!
lwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #31
Sansho
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Thanks for the tutorial, it's great. I'm a 28 y girl, and I needed to change the washer fluid pump. My uncle didn't wanted to help me, so I just tried for myself and managed.
I feel great and thanks a lot again!
Congratulations! It's a good feeling when you can fix something yourself, and it works!

Last edited by Sansho; 10-19-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Sansho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:19 AM   #32
Anderspr0

My Ride: E46 320ia
Lol, just bought a new. Costed less than 5 bucks at ebay. Last for a while

Anderspr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:16 AM   #33
gselsidi

My Ride: 2005 325i M56
Yea for $8 bucks this isn't worth the time, but if you want to tinker around with something it's great. What happened to mine, my pump didnt fail but that stupid hose became loose for some reason and would keep sliding off the pump, some duct tape solved the problem lol.
gselsidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:03 AM   #34
BillB

My Ride: e46
Awesome DIY write up. Although mine was so bad that the body of the motor was rusted and falling apart. I ordered a new pump off of EBay for 6.00.
BillB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, replacement, windshield washer pump, windshield washer tank