E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2005, 08:06 PM   #1
randyandy

My Ride: 330ci
Door won't open

Can someone help me out on this one. My passenger door won't open from the outside. I took out the interior door trim and found that the cable that attaches the handle to the locking mechanism is either stretched out or displaced. I think that I have to replace it but I can't even reach it. Do I have to take the whole door off and if so how? I've heard of this problem from a few people but they didn't fix it themselves. Dealership says it cost $300 and I'm not about to pay them anymore money.
randyandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:53 AM   #2
SHICKS

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to SHICKS Send a message via Yahoo to SHICKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyandy
Can someone help me out on this one. My passenger door won't open from the outside. I took out the interior door trim and found that the cable that attaches the handle to the locking mechanism is either stretched out or displaced. I think that I have to replace it but I can't even reach it. Do I have to take the whole door off and if so how? I've heard of this problem from a few people but they didn't fix it themselves. Dealership says it cost $300 and I'm not about to pay them anymore money.

I have this problem only in cold weather. Here is what the dealer says. There is a cable with a plastic sheath, condesation builds up in the sheath and freezes. This does not allow the cable to move freely. The dealer said they replaced the door lock to see if that helped, no good.

I can usally get the door open on the first try, but then the door wont latch when I close it. At this point if I can get it closed then I can't get it open with either handle. So I have been locked in the car a bunch of times, real safe!

So I called the dealer and they will look at it again, but claim there is not much they can do if it is not mother nature. I have contacted BMW NA to start a log of the events with them so I can get this resolved.

This is very frustrating, when the temp is below freezing, the car is useless.

Steve
SHICKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 08:25 AM   #3
CynicalWry
Doesn't like PMs...Email me

My Ride: 00 323i-05 cbr600rr
Send a message via AIM to CynicalWry
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyandy
No warranty? Park it in a garage to see if your problem is related to the cable being frozen.

This DIY will tell you how to take your door apart
http://www.e46fanatics.com/howto/how...php?howto_id=6

Authorized Umnitza.com installer
301-825-5871
http://www.robinsNestChildCare.com - - - - - http://www.tntTint.net

CynicalWry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 01:18 PM   #4
randyandy

Thanks guys but cold weather isn't the problem...I live in houston, It's always hot as balls down here. Thanks for the DIY also, I already knew how to remove the inner panel but I still can't see or reach the ends of the cable in order to remove it.

Last edited by randyandy; 02-21-2005 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:24 PM   #5
CynicalWry
Doesn't like PMs...Email me

My Ride: 00 323i-05 cbr600rr
Send a message via AIM to CynicalWry
but it will open just fine from the outside?

My door has a thing where the door handle won't always go back all the way after pulling the door open.

Authorized Umnitza.com installer
301-825-5871
http://www.robinsNestChildCare.com - - - - - http://www.tntTint.net

CynicalWry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 06:29 PM   #6
BMW330xi01

My Ride: 98 Skyline
i got the same problem on my driver door the handle has ALOT of extra play some times it wont open and some times it will

NO LONGER INSTALLING IN CONNECTICUT. I AM LOCATED IN JAPAN NOW

LUIS ESCOBAR
L.EscobarJr@yahoo.com

INSTALL PHOTOS
BMW330xi01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 06:33 PM   #7
SHICKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW330xi01
i got the same problem on my driver door the handle has ALOT of extra play some times it wont open and some times it will

For me, it's only when it is cold. I can usually open the door in the morning, but can't shut it, it just slams against the door frame, and won't latch. If I get it latched, then it won't open.

I'm going to the dealer in the morning, I hope I am stuck in the car when I pull up.

Steve
Old 02-24-2005, 12:45 AM   #8
randyandy

Actually it won't open from the outside only from the inside. I'm gonna take it apart again one last time. Them mothers at BMW are geniuses, making little things fall apart.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #9
rkreimer10

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHICKS View Post
For me, it's only when it is cold. I can usually open the door in the morning, but can't shut it, it just slams against the door frame, and won't latch. If I get it latched, then it won't open.

I'm going to the dealer in the morning, I hope I am stuck in the car when I pull up.

Steve
I am having this exact problem. Did anyone figure out what needed to be replaced?
rkreimer10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
SHICKS

I'd have to check my service history to find out exactly what was replaced, but I believe there is a cable in the door that is pulled when the handle is pulled. Imagine a bike shifter or brake cable with a plastic housing. Water was entering the housing and freezing, causing the cable to become stuck until it thawed.

This part was replaced under warranty about 8 years ago and has been fine since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkreimer10 View Post
I am having this exact problem. Did anyone figure out what needed to be replaced?