E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
Swish

My Ride: 2004 M3 Vert
Current and Former Military-Whats your political affiliation?

I've always know military members to be pro Republican (Im actually a registered Republican), and why you've chosen a particular party, but wanted to know how the military members of the fanatics went. I understand if you want to remain silent about this, but Im hoping for some good replies.

I always understood the Republican party to be more beneficial for the military, but I intend to remain open on who I vote for in the future.

"If you want to move past racism, you have to STOP LABELING EVERYTHING BY RACE / 2000_328CI"
Swish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Used to be conservative in my early years, but as I got older, became more moderate. Now I consider myself an independent and not registered with any party. I chose to be an independent since I'm conservative on some issues, liberal in others. That, and my choice is probably related to external influences such as education, world/life experiences, wife, etc that shapes my thinking. Also, I'm not really impressed with either party lately - given what's going on.

Should make this a poll!

Last edited by MDydinanM; 01-02-2013 at 06:14 PM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Firmly independent. I believe in promoting the rights of people unless doing so infringes on the rights of others, responsible and necessary military funding, and fiscal responsibility. Democrats have a huge lead in the first, neither cares for the second (though Republicans tend to prefer over-spending and over-use of the military relative to Democrats tendency to prefer underfunding and over-use of the military), and neither party really advances fiscal responsibility. A political "quiz" would put me center leaning libertarian, but the libertarian party isn't very libertarian on many issues so I can't identify with them. That's only a few of the many areas of politics I have strong feelings about, but those are some of the biggest ones for me.
Wraisil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
i'm not military, but i agree that in my view the military has historically been more pro republican, but i have been surprised in the last 10 or more years that it seems to be shifting. friends i have in the military who in the past i would say have more republican views really took a sharp turn after the bush years and war in iraq. the multiple and extended deployments for a war, which most americans and they themselves saw as unnecessary, really had them rethink their party affiliation. friends i have that were deployed were especially pissed about being sent to iraq and how they were treated and overextended time and again. they are the ones who take the brunt of the anti american views when our reputation across the globe is tarnished by our international blunders. when i talk to them they are outright embarrassed of how the war in iraq was handled and how incompetent those in charge seemed to have been, especially the administration and manipulation of intelligence.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
MDydinanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
i'm not military, but i agree that in my view the military has historically been more pro republican, but i have been surprised in the last 10 or more years that it seems to be shifting. friends i have in the military who in the past i would say have more republican views really took a sharp turn after the bush years and war in iraq. the multiple and extended deployments for a war, which most americans and they themselves saw as unnecessary, really had them rethink their party affiliation. friends i have that were deployed were especially pissed about being sent to iraq and how they were treated and overextended time and again. they are the ones who take the brunt of the anti american views when our reputation across the globe is tarnished by our international blunders. when i talk to them they are outright embarrassed of how the war in iraq was handled and how incompetent those in charge seemed to have been, especially the administration and manipulation of intelligence.
Probably saw the same thing in Vietnam, where Vets changed their thinking.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
Silver_Surfer

My Ride: 2006 Lotus Exige
Registered republican, but voted libertarian in the last election. Plan to do so until things start changing.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #7
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post
i would imagine you are correct.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #8
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
I consider myself Conservative, not Republican.

POLL ?
Old 01-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
vilseck21

My Ride: B_Cryus's mother
I dont vote for a party, I vote for the best man, however I like my liberties and do not like goverment interference into my personal life, possesions and income.
vilseck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #10
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
staunch libertarian.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #11
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Had I went in military I would have still been independent. I vote with logic and what is best for the people and the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post

Had to turn off the TV... Fox was making more sense than anyone else.

The rest of the world must be laughing at us now. It is so bad slipping to third world status...

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 01-02-2013 at 09:40 PM.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #12
SD 328I

My Ride: S197, E90, and 1125R
Started as a democrat, became a republican, currently an independent.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:07 AM   #13
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Being in a military family, on military bases during that time and post Nam and my father served multiple tours in Nam. I believe there was much less "party abandonment" among Vets. That was still a "draft war". People drafted into the service whether they wanted it our not. This is not to say that some party defection (one way or the other) didn't happen as a result of their service. But, most were of the same political leanings coming out as they were going in. (I will admit to a reasonably small sample size in my experience of conversation with them, a few dozen. But, that is a take from somebody who was around the military and Vets during that late 1960's- mid-1980's era.)

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:24 AM   #14
MDydinanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
Being in a military family, on military bases during that time and post Nam and my father served multiple tours in Nam. I believe there was much less "party abandonment" among Vets. That was still a "draft war". People drafted into the service whether they wanted it our not. This is not to say that some party defection (one way or the other) didn't happen as a result of their service. But, most were of the same political leanings coming out as they were going in. (I will admit to a reasonably small sample size in my experience of conversation with them, a few dozen. But, that is a take from somebody who was around the military and Vets during that late 1960's- mid-1980's era.)
Thanks for your input!
Old 01-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #15
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Republican all the way. Democrats are very anti-military. Look at the Clinton years when he deactivated a bunch of army divisions, closes military bases (brac), got rid of the air force SAC and TAC, etc

sent from my HTC EVO+ using Bimmer App
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #16
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashmeow View Post
Republican all the way. Democrats are very anti-military. Look at the Clinton years when he deactivated a bunch of army divisions, closes military bases (brac), got rid of the air force SAC and TAC, etc

You know that there have been five rounds of BRAC now, and all but one has been started under a republican president, right?
Old 01-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #17
MDydinanM

Quote:

Thread title says current or former military. You are neither. Not that I mind you posting in this thread, but like other non-military posters have done, they have caveated their comments. You have not. Lastly, as NOVABimmer pointed out, you made another silly comment.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 01-03-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:57 AM   #18
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
You know that there have been five rounds of BRAC now, and all but one has been started under a republican president, right?
Hmm....who was the chairman of the armed forces committee during those rounds of brac?

Old 01-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #19
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Thread title says current or former military. You are neither. Not that I mind you posting in this thread, but like other non-military posters have done, they have caveated their comments. You have not. Lastly, as NOVABimmer pointed out, you made another silly comment.
Silly comment? Get off my back dude. So out of all my points u.decided to single out and sharpshoot one single point and then lable my statement as silly?

Hmm....reduction of army divisions? True

SAC and TAC getting deactivated. True

Old 01-03-2013, 08:03 AM   #20
MDydinanM

Quote:
Silly comment? Get off my back dude. So out of all my points u.decided to single out and sharpshoot one single point and then lable my statement as silly?

Hmm....reduction of army divisions? True

SAC and TAC getting deactivated. True

why you posting here again? you have some military envy complex? Or do you just like trolling and stirring the pot?

Last edited by MDydinanM; 01-03-2013 at 08:05 AM.