E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.73 average. Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #221
CoupeMagic323ci

My Ride: 00 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster1 View Post
Thanks for the response.

I have tried tons of turns CCW like it should go for tightening, both with the outside handle in normal position, and again with it pulled up some -- but getting nada. I even held my breath and tried going a ways CW just to see if I can get the threads to seat, then go back CCW, but again no luck. Frustrating for sure.
Any luck guys?? I have the same prob.....but it's my driver side! Ugh just like you the screw just keeps turning.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #222
mrkour

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Great post

I just came across this post for the same problem that everyone is having regarding the driver door opening hard, kudos to all of you I tried the adjusting screw on the side of the door and it worked like a charm, I was having this problem for the past 2 years,just didn't want to spend too much money on this since the amounts I was quoted did not justify the repair. I should mention that in my case I had to turn the screw counter clockwise to get it to work,make small adjustments at a time and test the door,make sure your window is down so you will be able to open the from the inside in case it doesn't open from outside till you get the right adjustment.
mrkour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:14 AM   #223
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Just tried this - works great. My driver side door handle was always a lot stiffer than the passenger side; I got a 4mm hex, attached it to a screwdriver, turned it about a 1/4 turn, and now the two sides are pretty close. Thanks for the tip
Old 08-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #224
Hani

My Ride: 02 330i, 00 323i,
My body has an 07 X3 and when I reached for his door handle it was like butter to open and did not require any effort to unlatch from the outside compared to my 02 330i. I am convinced now that I need to adjust mine and will post my results soon
Hani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #225
Tament

My Ride: 2001 330I
This seems like a very common prob with these cars as i have had the same prob with my 330i.
Tament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #226
Jesse M

My Ride: 05' ZHP
wow, can't believe something so simple fixed my doors .. 05 330ci here. Worked perfectly. It'll be hard to recover from the days of trying to furiously pull my door handle open for women to get into my car. Damn.
Jesse M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:31 AM   #227
CK325

My Ride: 323Ci, 325xi
will have to try this tomorrow. always have to tug on my doors like mad to open them. thanks for the tip, would've never figured it out myself.
CK325 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #228
Tiag46

My Ride: e46
bumping this thread.
OP is a legend.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:17 AM   #229
Brucio325cic

My Ride: 2005 325ci Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanCOUPEr View Post
with the door open, use a screwdriver to flip the door latch to the closed position. Pull on the outside door handle. If the latch unlocks, then no adjustment is necessary. If the latch does not pop open, LOOSEN the adjustment screw and then retighten. Simply tightening the bolt without loosening it first will not do anything (unless it may have been loose in the first place). Note that the right side door has a LEFT hand thread on the adjustment screw (clockwise to loosen, counterclockwise to tighten).

I guess loosening/retightening resets something and it worked like a charm for me. Bentley also says that if this does not work, you must replace the door lock.
I tried the famous "tighten the crap out of the screw" technique..and it did very little change. However, after reading this post from vanCOUPEr. I decided to go at it again. This time, I grabbed a handfull of Q-tips & some WD40 Lubricant spray and I went to work on the Latch. Cleaned all the crud & crap out of the Latch. I did this with the door open, and both while the latch was in the UP position, and again while in the DOWN position. I cleaned & cleaned soo much crud outta there (i must of went thru 20-30 moistened Q-tips). Afterwards, I got instant results. I feel a good cleaning of the Latch went a long long way for me. Being able to push the Latch up & down, while cleaning the inner most parts of the latch thoroughly, gave me the best results thus far. I might even go as far as adding a little grease, and even trying to "re-set" the screw/spring by doin a mild loosen & tighten on the allen screw. However, so far, so good! Great Heads Up
Thanx E46 Amigos!!!
Brucio325cic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #230
bmoss234

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328CI
Ok hate to bring up a dead thread, but does anybody know the part number for the bolt that adjusts the lock actuator. i was a dumbass and turned the one on my passenger door clockwise instead of counter clockwise. so i lost the bolt. i think also it would work if i knew the size, like thread pitch and dimension and things like that. otherwise i think ill be taking apart my door panel....not fun
bmoss234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #231
Brucio325cic

My Ride: 2005 325ci Cabrio
Dropped the Bolt... Man that Sux!!!

I think you might find it here, in the following website.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...54&hg=41&fg=40

realoem.com has a picture layout of the door handle mechanism. You might find it there....

Good Luck
Brucio325cic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #232
bmoss234

i cant tell from that picture...im thinking its number 2 on there but its not a torx bolt...so im not sure. Any help from anybody,im thinking its number 2 but im not to sure.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #233
bmoss234

ok just looked it up looks like that bolt is actually a hex. so im gonna try that out and see how it works. but also i was wondering is the bolt reverse thread or is the socket reverse thread, might be helpful to know for when i go to get the bolt
Old 01-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #234
Y2K328CI

My Ride: 2000 328CI
Hi All,

I recently purchased a 2000 328CI and the drivers door was hard to open from the outside so a couple of weeks ago I adjusted it according to this thread and sure enough it worked out great!

Well yesterday I decided to adjust the passenger side and it worked fine after adjusting but today it will not open up from inside or outside!! Any ideas??? Can you use a slim jim on these doors?

Thanks Alot,

Ray
Y2K328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #235
zurix

My Ride: 2000 323CI
I was having the same problem for what seems like years now, finally fixed it today though. I would like to point out a couple of things for those who have tried the adjustment screw but failed.
1. Don't give up just yet, you might still be able to get your door opening easy again.

2.Sorry about the crap picture, but I will try to explain the situation.

In this image you can barely make out the correct seating position to the right of the screw.
What i did was loosen the screw, and with a bright flashlight look at everything next to the screw as you slowly pull you door handle out (not too far just enough to see the mechanism move behind the screw)
You should see a groove in the plate which is where the screw belongs in. Now you want to try and line the screw up as best you can into the hole. Once you think you have got it, tighten
the screw carefully at first as to not dislodge its place. After that, just give it a good tighten and you should be set. If you did it correctly, the screw and mechanism to move together when
pulling on the door handle.
I tried mucking about tightening and loosening that damn screw multiple times throughout the past week, until I eventually took the time to actually see what was going on it there.
Hope this helps someone out there, and thanks to everyone else for all your information.

Last edited by zurix; 01-19-2013 at 08:07 PM.
zurix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #236
PHILSI

My Ride: 330ci
Ive added to another thread, you can see the lock in more detail:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...&postcount=112
Old 05-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #237
UdubBadger

My Ride: 04 IR/IR 6MT M3
fack, the PO of my car stripped the hex head pretty good, not sure if I can get it to twist since its so tight.

3 pedals
UdubBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #238
UdubBadger

My Ride: 04 IR/IR 6MT M3
well I think I did something wrong cuz its about as bad as it can be without not opening. I never got it to twist but in pushing so hard inward to get it to turn with the stripped hex bolt I think I pushed it out of place. Any suggestions?

3 pedals
UdubBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #239
motostar508

My Ride: 2000 323CI
Send a message via AIM to motostar508 Send a message via Skype™ to motostar508
Anyone know why after I adjusted this my key fob will no longer UNLOCK the car door. Alittle history; car door was opening hard, door handle sticking sometimes. Key never worked in door lock as long as i owned it, think cylinder is broken. Regardless it sometimes had issue with unlocking with key fob as I usually had to hit button twice or relock and try again. Now door opens fine but key fob can only lock drivers door, and can only be unlocked by opening passanger side door and reaching across and opening handle when locked.
motostar508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #240
piaa_ump

My Ride: 2000 328CI
this tip fixed the "driver door hard to open" issue on my 2000 328CI.......I did have to loosen it first, then tighten it......opens with just a ligth touch now.....
piaa_ump is offline   Reply With Quote