E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 07:55 PM   #21
trentcdrums

My Ride: BMW 323i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Um...PB Blaster is a penetrating, rust dissolving solvent, and I don't think it's intended as a lubricant...though I do think the same company makes a lubricant...be careful what you get. I'd go to an auto parts shop and tell them what you want to lubricate. That said, I just cleaned mine really well...using 1.5 cans of cleaner, and it's been fine now for maybe 3 years. Sounds like it's beginning to want another cleaning, so I'll get to that one of these warmer days...and then use lubricant too.
What'd you use?

trentcdrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:10 PM   #22
brodaiga

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
The oiled filters, when overoiled, foul the maf. If you can use a dry filter, you'll eliminate that as a possible issue...just spray your maf clean with maf cleaner after shifting to paper.

Lower intake boot is most common air leak...but there are many vac lines too. See under cabin air filter housing behind mani for some of the hidden ones too.

You can 'smoke' test diy by spraying carb cleaner around...you'll hear the engine rev a bit when you find a leak sight...it'll suck the cleaner into the intake...might help you isolate possible location before tearing stuff apart.
thanks, I have cleaned maf multiple times to no avail, it was also replaced six months ago along with vacuum tubing, DISA, camshaft position sensor, k and n filter, ICV, CCV and hoses. TB was also cleaned. I did find a vacuum leak in the manifold where the hose going to the vacuum canister in the exhaust was not connected, I plugged it up and this fixed the e3, e4 O2 sensor adaptation limits I was getting and gas mileage has improved. However, limp mode persists and the only codes with peake I have on my car is the recurring d3 ICV and f5, f6 secondary oxygen which I believe has nothing to do with the ICV. Btw, f5,f6 I diagnosed to bad solenoid which is on it's way. I don't have a lower intake boot, my system is completely different. I don't have any major leaks, I have inspected everything and carb cleaner does not pickup minor ones. A smoke test will be like $80 or so. My next step is checking the car with the pa soft 1.4 I just ordered after having used the peak tool I have. Also, cleaning the new ICV I bought 4 months ago, maybe it gunked up somehow. Then smoke test at AA autowerks, a bmw tuner shop

Last edited by brodaiga; 12-31-2012 at 08:17 PM.
brodaiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:28 PM   #23
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
So I presume the icv was OE...don't know what f5 f6 secondary oxygen, is, but maybe that will help you with your idle issues. Love your sig!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:47 PM   #24
trentcdrums

Quote:
So I presume the icv was OE...don't know what f5 f6 secondary oxygen, is, but maybe that will help you with your idle issues. Love your sig!
What'd you use to clean your icv?

Old 12-31-2012, 10:57 PM   #25
dmax

Ah, at the time I think I used parts cleaner...later heard carb cleaner was better. I used a can and a half from every angle I could think of. I have not lubricated it as I said, but 3 years later, I need to get down there and clean it again I think. My mechanic also says it should be lubed...not wd40 though...sorry wd40 fans...I read and believe what I read here once...that there's always something better for a particular application.

Happy New Years!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

Old 12-31-2012, 11:16 PM   #26
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentcdrums View Post
What'd you use to clean your icv?
I would use throttle body cleaner. IMO both carb cleaner and brake parts cleaner could be too aggressive for the stuff down the line (though many people have used both successfully). WD40 just doesn't make sense for cleaning.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 12-31-2012 at 11:19 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:30 AM   #27
dmax

Terra, the wd40 was discussed as a lubricant, not cleaner.

Now that you mention it, I might have used TB cleaner for the ICV. I have too many posts to see what I used, as it was a while back, but have since learned that brake/parts cleaner is very aggressive, so wouldn't ever use that on anything like disa, icv, tb, or anything electronic.

I don't know what lubricant would be best, and I can't imagine that any spray would really last for a particularly long time with air getting blown over it constantly.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #28
trentcdrums

The car did it again the other say. so I went and bought seafoam and PB blast, which one do you suggest that would work best.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #29
trentcdrums

Lunch bump

Old 01-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #30
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
The car did it again the other say. so I went and bought seafoam and PB blast, which one do you suggest that would work best.
You have another problem. If you cleaned your icv properly it wouldn't be sticking so soon.
Clean it with tb cleaner.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #31
xcar360
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: BMW 318i
how clean the icv??
xcar360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #32
trentcdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
You have another problem. If you cleaned your icv properly it wouldn't be sticking so soon.
Clean it with tb cleaner.
I cleaned it with carb cleaner, and lubricated it with WD-40. So I will use PB blast next time it does this. Maybe just wanted to act funny, because it has been a few days and it has not done it since. Thank you

Old 01-04-2013, 06:01 AM   #33
dmax

Quote:
I cleaned it with carb cleaner, and lubricated it with WD-40. So I will use PB blast next time it does this. Maybe just wanted to act funny, because it has been a few days and it has not done it since. Thank you
PB Blaster is used to dissolve rust and I don't think it's good as a lubricant. TB cleaner is a cleaner, and I've heard it said that it has a lubricant built into it.

I've got a bad feeling about using pb blaster on the icv.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:34 AM   #34
trentcdrums

Quote:
PB Blaster is used to dissolve rust and I don't think it's good as a lubricant. TB cleaner is a cleaner, and I've heard it said that it has a lubricant built into it.

I've got a bad feeling about using pb blaster on the icv.
I could not find fb cleaner..

Old 01-04-2013, 06:43 AM   #35
Zardoz33

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Quote:
I could not find fb cleaner..
Trent,

AutoZone, O'Reilly, Advance Auto Parts, etc. all have tb cleaner available in IL. I got tb/maf/Brakleen/Seafoam Deep Creep cans from Advance's website (they usually have a % off sale and are the cheapest), then picked it up at the local store.

Last edited by Zardoz33; 01-04-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Zardoz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:20 AM   #36
Rotha

My Ride: N/A
i feel like that being a lubricated part with wd-40 would attract and stick dirt to it more/quicker.
arrives & the lawyer bitterly complains about the damage to his car. "Officer, I just got the car at BMW Greensboro and look what they're done to my Beemer!!" he whines."You makes me sick" officer responds, "So worried about your BMW; but don't even notice your left arm is missing?""OMG.." lawyer replies. "Where's my Rolex?"
Rotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:45 AM   #37
Rotha

My Ride: N/A
i feel like that being a lubricated BMW part with wd-40 would attract and stick dirt to it more/quicker. call BMW greensboro service they well figured out for you
arrives & the lawyer bitterly complains about the damage to his car. "Officer, I just got the car at BMW Greensboro and look what they're done to my Beemer!!" he whines."You makes me sick" officer responds, "So worried about your BMW; but don't even notice your left arm is missing?""OMG.." lawyer replies. "Where's my Rolex?"
Rotha is offline   Reply With Quote