E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 11:45 PM   #1
raydio

My Ride: 01 BMW 325xi Touring
Question New Year, New E46 Xi owner? Car evaluation thread!

Hey folks. I'm in Madison, WI looking into some '02-04 Xi's. The ones right now that I'm looking at are:

'02 in Chicago with 68k on it for $9400 or so.
Probably no service records
No packages. (Premium/Cold/Sport)
From a Toyota dealership with a giant inflatable blue gorilla.
Rust unknown. Lower mileage car. Not sure if 68k in Chicago is typically rusty.

'02 in Madison with 114k on it for $9600 or so.
Purchased from the dealership it's for sale at. All services were done there and the records are available.
All packages (as far as I know). Premium+Cold+Sport
From a local BMW dealership, where it was serviced and purchased originally.
Rust near rear 1/4 right above the trim line, both sides.

I'm a little swayed toward the local place because I can actually take it back there if things pop up the first week or something. Opposed to having to drive to Chicago. Which I would probably never end up doing. This local place also works directly with the lender I'm using for the car.

Curious what you all think of both of these. I'm also not in a hurry and can wait for a few months so I can easily wait and see what else comes up.

And Happy New Year!

'02 in Madison

'02 in Chicago
raydio is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:44 AM   #2
modjo

My Ride: 330XI
Look rather similar. Check technical conditon and than compare to price.
modjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
If you could get the Chi-town car to an indy mechanic for an inspection, that would help-but it doesn't seem practical due to distance. The lower mileage would be more appealing to me. Is Madison near Devil's Lake? (I think Baraboo, WI). I had a fun time there a few years back.

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
miweber929

My Ride: 02 330xi
The Madison one gets my vote. I'll take higher mileage and certainty of service history over a Chicago car with unknowns any day. You driven in Chicago lately? The roads there suck and a 10 year old car with 70k is only 7k a year, probably short trips and no maint.

I lived in Madison for 6 years a while ago, plenty if good Indy shops that should be able to give a decent PPI. Have the dealership pull the service records and take them with you to be sure they were done when the other shop inspects the car. It's worth the $100.
miweber929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Get a ppi on the one you like better.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
raydio

Yeah a PPI is already in the plan. Thanks! I was hoping no one was going to tell me I was an idiot for considering a high mileage car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miweber929 View Post
The roads there suck and a 10 year old car with 70k is only 7k a year, probably short trips and no maint.
Great point. I didn't even think to consider the roads there and the fact that it's probably seen more wear and tear than the higher mileage car.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
raydio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickna View Post
Is Madison near Devil's Lake? (I think Baraboo, WI). I had a fun time there a few years back.
It's not too far away. I've only been here for a few years so I had to Google where Devils Lake even is.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #8
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
Originally Posted by raydio View Post
It's not too far away. I've only been here for a few years so I had to Google where Devils Lake even is.
I lived in (suburb) Chi-town for 3 years back in the mid 80's. Devil's lake is beautiful, worth checking out when is gets warm.

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #9
miweber929

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickna View Post
I lived in (suburb) Chi-town for 3 years back in the mid 80's. Devil's lake is beautiful, worth checking out when is gets warm.
Devils Lake is incredible and the roads leading there, though recently redone and not nearly as good as they were, are still spectacular. GREAT motorcycle riding and nice sporty car riding area.

One of my transmitter sites I took care of was right at the top of the bluff and I'd visit it at least once a week on the bike or in the car. LOVED living there and would move back in a heartbeat if the opportunity arose.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:02 AM   #10
xcar360
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: BMW 318i
Nice Car, welcome...
xcar360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:29 AM   #11
miweber929

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcar360 View Post
Nice Car, welcome...
Hey, um, he didn't actually buy one yet. Maybe instead of saying "nice car" to random people you actually make sure the products you sell work.

I'm a little annoyed after hearing all these rave reviews of XCars code scanner and software interface I ordered one, waited a month to get it only to find it doesn't work. At all. And then reading a bunch if us that made recent orders don't work the same way.

Their solution after several emails back and forth? Send it back to China for them to look at it at my cost both ways, so another 2 months of waiting.

This little POS plastic thing should cost them $1.00 to make, you'd think they'd just send out a replacement. You get what you pay for, and unfortunately this was my first bad overseas knockoff purchase.