E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #21
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Original Poster

Guy who starts a thread
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #22
taibinhvuong

My Ride: E46 99' 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwjatt View Post
I just popped new fuses and started the car, the problem went away. but still do you think this could be the end of it....

For now I am happy...
At this point I think you are fine but only time will tell, just relax and enjoy, if it ever come up again then deal with it again.
taibinhvuong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #23
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
I drove around for a while, if the battery was bad the battery light would go on...
That is false. Not a little false, completely false.

The Battery Light tells you nothing about the battery, because it is really a Charging System Failure light. The light means that the charging system is on the fritz, it does not mean that the battery is dead.

The battery can be deader than a doornail, and the light might not be on, and the battery can be brand spanking new and the light will not go off.

That light tells you absolutely nothing about the battery EXCEPT that if the light is on, you can be sure that the battery will be dead in a few miles -- the number of miles depends on how many electrical loads you have running at the time.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #24
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
That is false. Not a little false, completely false.

The Battery Light tells you nothing about the battery, because it is really a Charging System Failure light.
As previously pointed out in post #7
Old 01-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #25
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
The car is not on. this while the car is turned off. Key is not in the egnition and I am getting all this.

That's odd -- the only time my temperature gauge went to the red was when my cluster didn't have a connection to the DME
Old 01-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #26
Stinger9

Perhaps a solid clue!

Default mode?

Last edited by Stinger9; 01-03-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #27
bmwjatt

My Ride: E46 325CI
Only other thing I can remember that has to do with the cluster was about two to three years ago I was driving on the freeway on a hot summer day, with the A/C, cruise, and lights on. My cluster gave out for like 10 seconds (went blank all the needles went dead nothing) then came back on and nothing else..
bmwjatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #28
Stinger9

Quote:
Only other thing I can remember that has to do with the cluster was about two to three years ago I was driving on the freeway on a hot summer day, with the A/C, cruise, and lights on. My cluster gave out for like 10 seconds (went blank all the needles went dead nothing) then came back on and nothing else..
Not unheard of, and reported by a few others in the past. Mine did just that once or twice 95K miles ago, and has never done it again.
Car died. Had to shut the ignition off and restart. Had to reset radio and OBC.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #29
andy_bee

My Ride: 01 330i sedan
so had the same issue as you yesterday (5th), weird a few of use are getting issues like this at the same time. Anyway, my door lock is bust, so couldnt get in the car. Disconnected the battery overnight and then connected it back up and hey presto, back to normal....but for how long.

Now time to get that door lock fixed before it does it again.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:49 PM   #30
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:
what is OP?
OP mean Original Poster. That would be you.

Sorry, didn't read this to the end. My bad....

Last edited by HacksawMark; 01-06-2013 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Cause I didn't read to the end....
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #31
Wookiee Cakes

My Ride: 2003 330i Zhp
So yeah i know its been a week and half since anybody posted on this thread, but the same thing has happened to my e46. Same exact brake lights on when the car is off, dashboard slightly xmas style. got pictures of both
I did what homeboy did in this thread http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ard+lights+off
replaced the fuses and i just beeped at me 3 or 4 times when i reconnected the battery, with no key in the ignition. so then i found this thread http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=963747
and kinda no help, he got lucky.

Im taking it to a shop tomorrow morning first thing and hookerin it to a BMW diagnostics machine, crossing my fingers for a dead battery and not a bad cluster.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-18 13.40.20.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	486689   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-18 22.09.42.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	486690  

'03 Zhp Sedan
Aux Input, UUC Strut, AFE Stage 1, R1 Drilled Rotors, SS Brake lines, SS Clutch, Modified CDV <--the best
Driven like stabbed rat
Wookiee Cakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #32
Stinger9

Have you measured your battery voltage with the hidden OBC functions?

Need to set up for that and see what happens when you try to start the car.

Last edited by Stinger9; 05-08-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #33
Wookiee Cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Have you measured your battery voltage with the hidden OBC functions?

Need to set up for that and see what happens when you try to start the car.
Nope didn't do this...so I did, and not the battery, 125 across the board. and took it to my mechanic, hooked it up to a bimmer comp and its the modulator. It wasn't communicating with the diagnostic machine, so there's a bad connection in it somewhere probably need a new one....162k miles woo!

'03 Zhp Sedan
Aux Input, UUC Strut, AFE Stage 1, R1 Drilled Rotors, SS Brake lines, SS Clutch, Modified CDV <--the best
Driven like stabbed rat

Last edited by Wookiee Cakes; 01-19-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #34
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookiee Cakes View Post
Nope didn't do this...so I did, and not the battery, 125 across the board. and took it to my mechanic, hooked it up to a bimmer comp and its the modulator. It wasn't communicating with the diagnostic machine, so there's a bad connection in it somewhere probably need a new one....162k miles woo!
Okay, so you mean voltage regulator, I guess, because your voltage is 12.5 while the car is running? Or it's not running at all? I'm confused...but old...so that happens more and more these days!

Get a remanned alt, new pulleys and belts while you're at it...odds are you don't have a weird connection problem in wiring, if that's what you mean.

Also, you'll save tons of money, you know, if you do this stuff yourself. Alt is very simple if you didn't know.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #35
Wookiee Cakes

car not running. turned key to position 1. i ran test 12 on the OBC functions and got 12.5 volts, and then went to my mech plugged it in, and sorry i wasn't clear i meant the ABS modulator. I don't plan on tackling that myself, but later when i have the time/ a day off, I'm going to get a new voltage regulator for my bosch altinator, and clean the ICV since its kinda in the the same area. then sit at a stop light pop the hood and try to balance a penny while the people behind me get pissed at my smooth idle.

'03 Zhp Sedan
Driven like stabbed rat
Old 01-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #36
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookiee Cakes View Post
car not running. turned key to position 1. i ran test 12 on the OBC functions and got 12.5 volts, and then went to my mech plugged it in, and sorry i wasn't clear i meant the ABS modulator. I don't plan on tackling that myself, but later when i have the time/ a day off, I'm going to get a new voltage regulator for my bosch altinator, and clean the ICV since its kinda in the the same area. then sit at a stop light pop the hood and try to balance a penny while the people behind me get pissed at my smooth idle.
We would have really wanted you to start the car with the voltage function turned on to read the charging voltage.
Just so you'll know, you're not close to doing the ICV when the alternator is off. Still a bit more semi-difficult stuff to remove to get there. But I'd still recommend you do go there and do it. That will open up doing the throttle body and DISA too.

PS---battery voltage test is not function #12. Check your list again.

We welcome people just get started!
But that your car started right up in the am is not the definitive battery and alternator test. Were it that simple.

Last edited by Stinger9; 01-19-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #37
Wookiee Cakes

Yeah I've read the 'just acquired your non-m e46 now what?' Thread about 20 times and I plan to read it a million more and all the DIY things 20 times too. I don't wanna fudge my car up. At the same time I've happened to run across a unique problem that a few people had easy fixes on this site but they didn't work for me. So I'm just documenting what I know so far and the only thing not responding was the ABS modulator. And yes I am a newbie to all this bmw stuff. I normally work on recipes and poach your grandmothers eggs, my battery is fine and so is the alt or else it wouldn't have started right up the first time I noticed my brake lights were on and I walked to my car at 9 in the morn. Ill let you guys know if its all symptoms of a bad abs mod or if i end up spending too much money on a goose chase and the problem persists then i get to the possible alt, voltage reg, pulleys.

I like to work on the mechanical parts of the car (so i should stick to oil changes) not so much the electronics and pretty things that an oaf like myself will easily fudge up.

'03 Zhp Sedan
Driven like stabbed rat

Last edited by Wookiee Cakes; 01-19-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #38
Wookiee Cakes

had my indy mech go through the interior and check all wiring and grounding, he fiddled with everything but to no hope. Bad ABS modulator, stealership quoted me 2370 for a brand new one coded to the car. He's getting a friend of his to rebuild it and code it to my car for around 1100 with a 2 year warranty. and then the 5 hours of labor that its gonna take him to put it in.

I could be getting fooled, but I've already given him half the money to get the modulator there and re-build. what do you guys think?

'03 Zhp Sedan
Driven like stabbed rat

Last edited by Wookiee Cakes; 01-22-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:52 PM   #39
Stinger9

what kind of guarantee are you getting from him in case this doesn't work?
Old 01-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #40
Wookiee Cakes

None whatso ever. He says it can't be anything else sooo ill let you guys know in a week if it works or if I'm just a dummy and I need to find another indy. I've spent probly over 3 grand at this guys place.....on another car had a 2000 vr6 jetta that always crapped out on me and now I'm drivin it again now that the bimmers indisposed for the week. I'm not sure if I have gulible printed on my forehead or not. It'd be nice to find an honest mech.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Bimmer App

'03 Zhp Sedan
Driven like stabbed rat