E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #121
babytakara

My Ride: '03 325xi
great help

Thank you for the detail, I now this is an old post, but I just got a driver's power sport seat, and need to retro from manual. I just had one question you gave the part number for the pin in the seat connector, but what is the part number for the socket that goes in the fuse box, if you can recall and you did this in an E30 do you have a clue if the Part numbers are the same for an E46? Thanks B

Last edited by babytakara; 01-04-2013 at 02:15 PM. Reason: I'm tired, and I type too fast
babytakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #122
Guram1993

My Ride: 325ci
does anyone have a picture of where K-BUS wire gets connected?
wire from my seat to fuse box is done power works. just need the right place to connect memory wire.
if someone can post a picture of the connecting in fuse box would greatly be appreciated. i been reading this entire post still cant seem to get where the actually wire gets connected.
everything else from this post worked 100% .
Guram1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #123
babytakara

My Ride: '03 325xi
K-bus

I don't have a picture, but the kbus can be accessed on top of the fuse box. That big plastic thing that slides on top of the box with all the red/white/orange and brown wires is the kbus. I didn't figure it out either at first, but what I did was find an open port and inserted a connecter to it. It didn't work at first but I tried a couple locations until it did. When you have the right location the red memory button lights up when you press it. Sorry not more detailed I'm no mechanic, good luck.
babytakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #124
Tiag46

My Ride: e46
yeh, its the black box pictured above the fusebox. Slide it out, and then slide out the connector with the red/white/orange

Old 05-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #125
Guram1993

My Ride: 325ci
Thank you very helpfull..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiag46 View Post
yeh, its the black box pictured above the fusebox. Slide it out, and then slide out the connector with the red/white/orange

Guram1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:42 PM   #126
E46iT

My Ride: 2004 325i Touring
i have none sport power/memory seats in my car i got some sport manual seats, i already removed the back support as its is held by 2 bolts to frame and a quick disconnect for heated portion of it. is it possible to remove the bottom seat skin and foam without removing the seat pan??

i tried to remove the seat skin on the bottom piece but i was not able too... looks like the seat skin is attached to the pan??

also is it possible to remove the bottom portion seat warmer without cutting the wires??

Last edited by E46iT; 05-30-2013 at 11:52 PM.
E46iT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:11 AM   #127
E46iT

My Ride: 2004 325i Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46iT View Post
i have none sport power/memory seats in my car i got some sport manual seats, i already removed the back support as its is held by 2 bolts to frame and a quick disconnect for heated portion of it. is it possible to remove the bottom seat skin and foam without removing the seat pan??

i tried to remove the seat skin on the bottom piece but i was not able too... looks like the seat skin is attached to the pan??

also is it possible to remove the bottom portion seat warmer without cutting the wires??
never mind... got the seat pan removed with seat skin and foam attached... just had to remove the bolt illistrated in this article bolt #1 and the seat pan just pops up... the bracket is groved so you have to pop it from the treated hole....
http://bmw.workshop-manuals.com/3_Se...ex.php?id=2295

as for the wires for heated seats it just disconnects fromt he yellow quick connector once your remove the backing off it.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:11 AM   #128
Arpee

My Ride: E30 M3/ 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by toffa View Post
if you want to add the memory function you will have to wire the k-bus (it's the wire dedicated to the memory).
Just got a M3 powered with memory.
I have manual heated seats. If I don't want the memory function, just the power adjustment to work, plug and play ?

Thanks
Arpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:05 AM   #129
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Since its 2 in the morning, I'll save this spot for later. I'll read through the thread, but what i'm looking to do is hopefully simple.

I am dying my seats. Nothing else needs to be done, no wiring, etc. Before I dig into it, I'm just looking for a little insight how to:

1. Remove the plastic covering and what not (its gray, need to paint it black)
2. Remove the bottom leather portion that way I can dye these seats properly.

If anyone has a quick step by step process, I would be grateful. If not, I'll read up on it hopefully in this thread when I'm not so restless.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #130
white46

My Ride: e46 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpee View Post
Just got a M3 powered with memory.
I have manual heated seats. If I don't want the memory function, just the power adjustment to work, plug and play ?

Thanks
No. You need to wire the power source.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:38 AM   #131
Arpee

Quote:
Originally Posted by white46 View Post
No. You need to wire the power source.

Thanks. Might as well hook up the memory. Kinda nervous doing this... is it easier than it look?
Old 08-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #132
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Thanks OP.
I completed this on the weekend.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #133
stanhope2

My Ride: bmw320d
Smile e46 rear head rest removal

Lift head rest turn both stems quarter turn clock wise and lift out stems can be removed from head rest same way to replace in car just push back
stanhope2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #134
2shaee

My Ride: E46 318i
I have one question about wiring. Ivegotissues said that in the fusebox there is only RED(power) wire fitted. So..that means that i must fit two RED wires into the fusebox(for driver and passenger side). But where are those wires going to get a power? If i stick them with the connector into the fuse hole there is no power..or am i wrong?? And fuse is made of two legs..i mean for one fuse there need to be two connectors in fusebox(RED as power and???
2shaee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #135
stanhope2

My Ride: bmw320d
Fuse 65 and 70 bottom half of the rail is live wires with conections on go into top half 65 and 70 pull out a fuse to one side shine light and it explains its self hope this helps
stanhope2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:02 PM   #136
2shaee

My Ride: E46 318i
Thank you. One more thing.my seats are also heated..but not original BMW heating. i installed universal..but now i have one more question...where to wire a power? I mean where i can get power for heating except fusebox. From ciggarette lighter? Strong enough? It has 100W, single seat heater has 10AMPS fuse.
2shaee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:47 AM   #137
BenjiTshi

My Ride: 320tda
Hi there,
I'm going to get 2 front seats RHD, and would like to use them in my LHD car. They are electric with memories, so of course i'm gonna have to buy the control unit (the part with all the buttons on the external side of the seat) for my left seat. But as the right seat will have the same unit, i was wondering if i could use the memory function. It already has the buttons, and i can find the memory module on ebay, but how to not go through the GM5 ? Any leads ?
Thanks
BenjiTshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:14 AM   #138
Arpee

Can I just connect the power and memory direct to the battery (fuse in between)? Pin 13 and 15 to positive and Pin 14 to ground?

Thanks

Last edited by Arpee; 06-06-2014 at 03:17 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #139
CJGREEN

My Ride: 320CD M SPORT
So I got all the fuse box stripped down and then didn't know or read anywhere that you needed terminals for the fuse box?!
CJGREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:15 AM   #140
luismendez39

My Ride: bmw 325i 2003
help for the memorie harness

Hi right now I'm doing this retrofit I had manual seats and now I'm installind power sport seats into my car, I already threw the positive 12 gauge from the driver side to de glove box, but I am having issues umderstandig where exactly I have to plug the 16 gauge cable coming from the 15 pin , from what I umderstand the comb connectors is a place that have a lot of wires so how I do I know in whichomes I have to plug the wire? thanks!
luismendez39 is offline   Reply With Quote