E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Meth Kit : AA vs. Generic AEM Setup

For those with chargers, can you comment on the AA Meth kit and whether it's worth the several-hundred dollar premium price over the AEM kit?

AA

AEM

I noticed the AA kit had a larger reservoir but I imagine that can be sourced. Are there some extra goodies that you get with the AA product?

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
Think0rz

My Ride: 05 AW M3
I cant speak for AA's kit other than I'm sure its completely plug & play with their system with whatever fail safes they provide. As for AEM the off the shelf kits I've seen usually require additional pieces and labor to function properly with X setup but this is based purely on the installers I've seen use them. I would probably say when its all said and done both kits probably end up the same cost wise for materials especially when you have to source X item's needed for the off the shelf kit. Installation time will always be more for a custom setup as opposed to a plug & play kit.

Performance wise will come down to installation and tune/more psi,etc. Fail safe is a highly debated topic as many view things differently however in my opinion the only real fail safe that can be the difference between a blown engine or not is NOT having a more aggressive tune/more psi on meth and just using it for the cooling benefits, again this is just my opinion.
Think0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
AA uses a AEM Controller...You just paying for the Name and the Design of the box....

Last edited by TrippinBimmer; 01-03-2013 at 09:39 PM.
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
BrianSpilner

My Ride: Max PSI Stage 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
AA uses a AEM Controller...You just paying for the Name and the Design of the box....
What this guy said. I've ran Snow Performance and AEM pumps in place of the AA one and it is plug and play. You're paying for the name and design of the AA meth kit.
BrianSpilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:54 AM   #5
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

Kris did you have any preference between snow and AEM? Also, is there ANYTHING on the AA kit that makes it easier for install? I heard that if you add meth to an AA kit after the install, you don't need to alter the tune.. so I suppose you don't have to retune post a meth install.. is that correct?

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
Old 01-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
str8dum1

My Ride: VQ38DETT
failsafes? neither come with a flow meter, so neither will protect your engine if the pump fails or nozzles are clogged. If you are tuning for more power on meth, I wouldnt use either of those unless the AEM failsafe device with flow meter was added

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think0rz View Post
I cant speak for AA's kit other than I'm sure its completely plug & play with their system with whatever fail safes they provide. As for AEM the off the shelf kits I've seen usually require additional pieces and labor to function properly with X setup but this is based purely on the installers I've seen use them. I would probably say when its all said and done both kits probably end up the same cost wise for materials especially when you have to source X item's needed for the off the shelf kit. Installation time will always be more for a custom setup as opposed to a plug & play kit.

Performance wise will come down to installation and tune/more psi,etc. Fail safe is a highly debated topic as many view things differently however in my opinion the only real fail safe that can be the difference between a blown engine or not is NOT having a more aggressive tune/more psi on meth and just using it for the cooling benefits, again this is just my opinion.

Last edited by str8dum1; 01-04-2013 at 09:38 AM.
str8dum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
Alex@FSR
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: E46
We would recommend the Aquamist setup; it is worlds better than the AEM as far as function and quality of the components, as well as the failsafes. The controller, flow meter, and failsafes are all built into one device that is also a gauge and uses an injector style nozzle which gives you much more precise control over the injection process, not to mention it drives meth injection as a function of injector duty, boost, and RPM instead of just boost. We can't comment on the AA meth injection setup, looks like a nice bottle.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #8
Viral@ActiveAutowerke
Sponsor

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
For those with chargers, can you comment on the AA Meth kit and whether it's worth the several-hundred dollar premium price over the AEM kit?

AA

AEM

I noticed the AA kit had a larger reservoir but I imagine that can be sourced. Are there some extra goodies that you get with the AA product?
You can use either system for your vehicle. The System we have available is designed specific for your vehicle and is not a Generic Setup which makes it easier to install provides a cleaner look and peace of mind with warranty. They are other systems in the market that make Meth Kits that cost more $$$ and some that are on the cheaper end that will end up costing more in the long run. At the end of the day they all more or less provide the same purpose and similar Horsepower gains.
Phone: 305.233.9300 Ext. 232 | Fax: 305-253-8921
Viral@ActiveAutowerke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
LeoP

My Ride: Supra
AEM will work fine but if you want a car specific setup, the AA system is for you.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #10
BrianSpilner

Quote:
Kris did you have any preference between snow and AEM? Also, is there ANYTHING on the AA kit that makes it easier for install? I heard that if you add meth to an AA kit after the install, you don't need to alter the tune.. so I suppose you don't have to retune post a meth install.. is that correct?
AA's kit will be a plug and play and will come with all the components. I would get a re-tune after installing the meth because that is where most of the power is made.

The only reason I tried different pumps was because my original AA one died due to the fact (at that time), the AA pumps could not run Methanol because of its corosive properties. It was only meant for Alcohol/Distilled Water.

I tried the Snow performance pump, but that one died for some reason. Probably because I got a faulty unit.

So then I tried the AEM pump since it made sense due to the fact that all the rest of the components are virtually AEM parts. No complaints so far.

If I get a chance to re-do it all, I will go Aquamist.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
str8dum1

My Ride: VQ38DETT
All of those pumps are the exact same rebranded Shur-flo units. Pump failure between "brands" was just "coincidental. You can buy the rebuild diaphrams for 6$. Hope you didnt just throw out those pumps.

Last edited by str8dum1; 01-04-2013 at 01:39 PM.
str8dum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #12
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBoss View Post
AA's kit will be a plug and play and will come with all the components. I would get a re-tune after installing the meth because that is where most of the power is made.

The only reason I tried different pumps was because my original AA one died due to the fact (at that time), the AA pumps could not run Methanol because of its corosive properties. It was only meant for Alcohol/Distilled Water.

I tried the Snow performance pump, but that one died for some reason. Probably because I got a faulty unit.

So then I tried the AEM pump since it made sense due to the fact that all the rest of the components are virtually AEM parts. No complaints so far.

If I get a chance to re-do it all, I will go Aquamist.

Hope that helps.
Any suggestion on where to order the auqamist setup? I've been looking all over and there are too many options to even know where to start.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #13
BrianSpilner

Quote:
Any suggestion on where to order the auqamist setup? I've been looking all over and there are too many options to even know where to start.
Add Aquamist on Facebook and message them or you can contact the owner, Alex Au, and he will direct you. He is usually good at responding via e-mail. I PM'ed you his e-mail address.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aquam...ref=ts&fref=ts
Old 01-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #14
Alex@FSR
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: E46
We use them both and can really help with your decision. When you're ready to purchase we can get you set up also.

Last edited by Alex@FSR; 01-04-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Alex@FSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #15
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

Well AEM finally got back to me about sponsorship pricing and can offer their 1 gallon kit for under 200 bucks... hard to pass that up when the AA kit is almost a grand.

I'll keep you all posted. As for failsafes, I am not going to deal with it as this is only for cooling.

Last edited by 2000_328CI; 02-08-2013 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1360365840
Old 02-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #16
Andrew@Activeautowerke
Sponsor

My Ride: 135 Fbo+meth & E85
Rolex or Gshock ? They both tell great time...

Email:AFish@ActiveAutowerke.com |Phone:305-233-9300 Ext:227 |Web: www.ActiveAutowerke.com

Authorized Dealer Of | Stop Tech | Brembo | KW Suspensions | Jrz Suspensions | BC Wheels | BC Suspensions | Strasse Forged Wheels | Michelin Tires
Andrew@Activeautowerke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #17
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew@activeautowerke View Post
rolex or gshock ? They both tell great time...
- . -
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #18
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@Activeautowerke View Post
Rolex or Gshock ? They both tell great time...
I prefer Omega... Does your kit come with diamonds or is it made of platinum?

Last edited by 2000_328CI; 02-12-2013 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Auto-save 1360686735
Old 02-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #19
AMG-ETR
///AMG ETR

My Ride: S54B32 On Boost
Send a message via MSN to AMG-ETR
Quote:
Well AEM finally got back to me about sponsorship pricing and can offer their 1 gallon kit for under 200 bucks... hard to pass that up when the AA kit is almost a grand.

I'll keep you all posted. As for failsafes, I am not going to deal with it as this is only for cooling.
Contact Viral or Robert at AA - i'm sure they can work something out for you.

AMG-ETR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #20
Andrew@Activeautowerke
Sponsor

My Ride: 135 Fbo+meth & E85
Quote:
I prefer Omega... Does your kit come with diamonds or is it made of platinum?
I prefer Omega as well No diamonds, but it is designed for your specific car resulting in one of the cleanest meth kit installations around.

Email:AFish@ActiveAutowerke.com |Phone:305-233-9300 Ext:227 |Web: www.ActiveAutowerke.com

Authorized Dealer Of | Stop Tech | Brembo | KW Suspensions | Jrz Suspensions | BC Wheels | BC Suspensions | Strasse Forged Wheels | Michelin Tires

Last edited by Andrew@Activeautowerke; 02-12-2013 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Auto-save 1360691316
Andrew@Activeautowerke is offline   Reply With Quote