E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #81
taibinhvuong

My Ride: E46 99' 328i
There is no debate here, some said BMW coolant only, some used other brands for years in many cars (like me) without issues and corrosion, the pictures of M3 that someone posted up here is not revelant since the car is not owned by the owner since new (you don't know what kind of coolant system maintenance the previous owner put on, he might just put in too much water to coolant ratio or something else who know), anyway, use whatever you like as long as the products meet the minimum requirements.
Someone here said it has to be BMW blue coolant otherwise it will harm your system or cause corrosion, but then when comes to engine oil and transmission fluid and differential oil or something else then they can use other brands and claim that they are compatible to BMW products, but you have to use BMW coolant only when comes to cooling system.
Also, Most of the people here that claim have to be BMW blue coolant only don't own their E46 new but bought it 2nd hand, 3rd , 4th or even 5th hands, I'm no way against used car owners, I just say they don't know their car maintenance history as good as the people who own their cars since new.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #82
Brinkley

My Ride: 99 328i, 07 z4 3.0
You can't have a rational debate with irrational people. Ill bet mango would claim he'd use bmw coolant if it were $100/gallon. He drives a mythical unicorn from Neverbavarialand.
I, like many others, know that prestone can be used with no ill effects. It's so sad that this is state of this forum these days, wars on coolant are all we do anymore.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #83
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinkley View Post
You can't have a rational debate with irrational people. Ill bet mango would claim he'd use bmw coolant if it were $100/gallon. He drives a mythical unicorn from Neverbavarialand.
I, like many others, know that prestone can be used with no ill effects. It's so sad that this is state of this forum these days, wars on coolant are all we do anymore.
I recommend what BMW recommends and I'm the irrational one?

Do you ever noticed that none of the "respected" members here ever side with you or people like you.

Ever notice that?

Think about that for a second. Do what's proper, not what's "possible."

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #84
Brinkley

Thought about it.

Gonna ride this prestone thing out, been 6 years, im gonna figure that the 7th will come and go as well.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #85
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Thought about it.

Gonna ride this prestone thing out, been 6 years, im gonna figure that the 7th will come and go as well.
You never answered my question. If BMW coolant and Prestone coolant were offered to you side by side at the same price, which would you take?

In other words, are your reason(s) for NOT using BMW blue coolant simply cost alone?

Please answer.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 01-04-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #86
Russian172

My Ride: Flying brick,e39 b28
Mango stop wasting time

its pretty much like talking to a tree you can say all you want to but you cant make it move
Old 01-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #87
Brinkley

pretty much, they aren't the same price. They aren't both handy to me at the parts store here. I honestly believe that bmw brand is no better , or not significantly better enough to spend the money on.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #88
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
pretty much, they aren't the same price. They aren't both handy to me at the parts store here. I honestly believe that bmw brand is no better , or not significantly better enough to spend the money on.
Which one would you take? And don't say "well that's a made up scenario so I won't answer."

I will personally pay the difference for BMW coolant if you should decide to use it and prove it to me in a photograph.

Now please answer the question. Would you pick BMW or Prestone given they're both the same price?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #89
white46

My Ride: e46 323ci
Hey Mango, wondering, you use Redline D4 ATF for your tranny, yet it's not Genuine fluid.
How come not using Genuine fluid for tanny is ok, BUT not ok for coolant?
Old 01-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #90
Brinkley

tired of this debate. Tired of you.

Also

Prestone
Old 01-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #91
adaseb

My Ride: 2002 BMW 320i
In Canada the BMW coolant is $32 with tax.

By the way how often should you change this coolant?

I never really changed my coolant just when I was doing some cooling system work I drain coolant out of radiator and refill with the fresh stuff. Probably every 40-50K miles I changed it.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #92
white46

My Ride: e46 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaseb View Post
In Canada the BMW coolant is $32 with tax.

By the way how often should you change this coolant?

I never really changed my coolant just when I was doing some cooling system work I drain coolant out of radiator and refill with the fresh stuff. Probably every 40-50K miles I changed it.
By book, coolant should be flushed every 2 years.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #93
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by white46 View Post
Hey Mango, wondering, you use Redline D4 ATF for your tranny, yet it's not Genuine fluid.
That's an easy one. There is no specification for the BMW coolant. There IS a specification for the transmissions and also a history of good results with D4 ATF.

1. BMW specs Dexron III (better to use Dexron VI) for the GM transmissions
2. BMW specifies LL-01 oils

These are definite specs. If the oil meets the spec, you can use it. The coolant has no such requirements. I only know of one now and that is phosphate free.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #94
7xWDC-MSC

My Ride: 2005 325xi
Quote:
What money? Why not use something that is guaranteed to function flawlessly, I paid $18 for a gallon of BMW coolant from Bavarian Autosport, including distilled water that comes out to $9.50/ gal. Even at say something like $30 per gallon from the dealer you're at $15.50/ gal

Congratulations you save about 6 bucks on a coolant change every 2 years, what are you gonna do with it? Go buy a combo meal at Wendy's?
Old 01-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #95
taibinhvuong

My Ride: E46 99' 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Which one would you take? And don't say "well that's a made up scenario so I won't answer."

I will personally pay the difference for BMW coolant if you should decide to use it and prove it to me in a photograph.

Now please answer the question. Would you pick BMW or Prestone given they're both the same price?
Ask you the same question, would you pick BMW transmission fluid or Redline D4 if offered to you side by side with same price?
Old 01-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #96
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
BMW fluid obviously. Unfortunately the fluid BMW uses is extremely expensive. There is an actual price difference here.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #97
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by white46 View Post
I don't recommend using Genuine for the sake of using Genuine. Lots of parts on my car are aftermarket. I also have no problems with OEM Pentosin MT-2. I just happened to use what was readily available at the time.

Redline fluids are high quality spec'd at or above OE fluids and proven.

They are also recommended and used by race teams, including Turner Motorsports.

Nice try

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #98
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibinhvuong View Post
Ask you the same question, would you pick BMW transmission fluid or Redline D4 if offered to you side by side with same price?
You aren't clever. I wrote the book on this: literally.

I'd pick either one. If I was tracking (which I do, Redline has better shock and load characteristics)

Nice try, but that doesn't work here.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #99
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7xWDC-MSC View Post
What money? Why not use something that is guaranteed to function flawlessly, I paid $18 for a gallon of BMW coolant from Bavarian Autosport, including distilled water that comes out to $9.50/ gal. Even at say something like $30 per gallon from the dealer you're at $15.50/ gal

Congratulations you save about 6 bucks on a coolant change every 2 years, what are you gonna do with it? Go buy a combo meal at Wendy's?

+1 Extremely well said. That was by far the best way that it can be put. Sig worthy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #100
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Ok I'm throwing a monkey wrench in this thread.

I use evans npg+ I even got 2 free bottles when I bought my ZHP.

http://www.evanscooling.com/

Preston is crap... Can't comment about the 50/50 though.

Last edited by zander271; 01-05-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Closed Thread