E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #21
rodsfromday

My Ride: 323CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic325 View Post
Not a big fan of the Shell. Am doing a run of the Penrite to see results...

How are you doing, Rod?
Yeah good. Waiting on lower intake boot to see how the diy went. Going to bmw today to pick up one valve cover nuts. Can't believe I lost one as I had a magnetic pan with all my bolts and crap.
Gonna flush first with old oil in. Then for another flush with cheapo oil and then finally a full diesel flush/idle for about 30min. That should hopefully clean it out good.
Glad all went well with all ur dramas here. Hope it didn't put too much of s damper on your holiday

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Bimmer App

German Engineering at its best
rodsfromday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:50 AM   #22
Brissyjohn

My Ride: 2003 325ti
Quote:
Not a big fan of the Shell.
Why?

I've done three changes on that Shell Helix Ultra now and when I had a peek under the cam cover to change the seal it was just clean as a whistle in there. I change the BMW oil every 8,000 km. Last oil change I tried Liqui Moly, so waiting to see how it goes.

I've used Penrite HPR5 in the MX-5 and it gets used at track days. Also excellent in my opinion. MX-5 is now on Shell too.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:40 PM   #23
rodsfromday

Just did my Vanos seals and changed VCG as well. On start up the revs would climb to about 1300 and then back down to about 750. When i gave it a slight rev it would start hunting between 750 and about 1100 revs. That went on for about 10 mins then disappeared. All along it had a low idle misfire, in the upper range revs it was ok. I read the codes and got misfire cyl 4,5 & 6. I would clear the codes and the misfire would go away. The engine would be smooth again for about 2 or 3 min then the misfire would return. And everytime i clear the errors it would be orite. Also got a few times O2 sensor but not all the time.Really confusing.Im dumbstruck!!!

Last edited by rodsfromday; 01-03-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:21 AM   #24
rodsfromday

So i had a look again this morning. I unplugged the MAF and let it idle. Got no errors or any misfiring. Checked for errors a couple of times and still no issues. So i plugged MAF back in and within a minute the misfire was back.
Now a few months back i bought a new MAF but when i put in, the misfire was still their - that was due to the torn lower intake boot. I put the old one back in thinking that it wasnt a MAF prob.
I put that new MAf in and no codes since then. Took it for a test drive and the response on the car is so much better with the new VANOS seals. I can feel the difference. Will take the car on a long drive tomorrow.
I have currently cheap oil in so i will run it for about 500km then flush and replace with my BMW oil, filters and plugs. Will also replace VCG again and see if head is cleaned up.
Thanx for all the feedback guys!!!

Old 02-15-2013, 03:19 AM   #25
rodsfromday

So just an update. After i took the car for a drive the wheels came off. Got EML light coming on and car going into limp mode. Couldnt put my finger on the problem. Only code i was getting was O2 sensor. I found that the VCG had blown on the rear and was pissing down the exhaust and on the O2 sensor. I shut up shop for more than a month just walking past it and just wanting to light the match...

Anyway I stripped the valve cover off again. Removed vanos to have a look if done correctly, which it was. Found one mounting bolt missing on Vanos, not sure if that would bring on that EML light but replaced it. Replaced VCG and closed everything up. Started and it hasnt missed a beat. Did just over 200Km with no dramas. I can feel its not 100% and it has a slight, very slight roughness to it but much much better. Hasnt misfired once. Will see how it goes.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:05 AM   #26
tks

My Ride: slower than yours
the wheels came off after you did an oil change?

dear god...
tks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:09 AM   #27
rodsfromday

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskisky View Post
the wheels came off after you did an oil change?

dear god...
What planet you from? Havent you heard this expression before?

Old 02-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #28
Ballistic325

My Ride: slow and steady
Glad you've got it sorted, Rod.

Re Shell - used it in a previous car a few times and I just wasn't happy with the performance and effect on the engine. Haven't used it in the BMW so I can't say how it works there. So far, the Penrite is doing great. Engine always feels smooth, idles and performs well. No oil loss, so I'm happy with that as well.

I can help with
* Reading Codes / Coding your car
* R&R FCAs, Tie Rods, Sway links....
* RTABs

Need an RTAB tool? Or clutch fan and water pump tools? PM me.
Ballistic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:25 AM   #29
E46 Coupe

My Ride: Rules1 & 2: S T F U!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsfromday View Post
What planet you from? Havent you heard this expression before?
Old 02-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #30
rodsfromday

Quote:
Glad you've got it sorted, Rod.

Re Shell - used it in a previous car a few times and I just wasn't happy with the performance and effect on the engine. Haven't used it in the BMW so I can't say how it works there. So far, the Penrite is doing great. Engine always feels smooth, idles and performs well. No oil loss, so I'm happy with that as well.
Yeah i'll do so another 300km with this oil,only cheap oil but, i have in, engine flush and then do the last oil change with new filter. I have only used Caltex with all my other cars besides the beemers.