E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #21
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom5933 View Post
Yea they all seem very high quality so it's going to come down to price/looks I guess. And The MK18 says it's 9.5", so I don't think it will be too short as if it were a 20" barrel? I was going for around 12" on the other rails.
If you are looking at an upper with a mid-length gas system, the MK18 won't cover the gas block. It will look...weird, and based on your other selections I don't think that's what you are looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
You can get a 12" ris ii rail as well.
Right, but not the MK18.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #22
Tom5933
<3s Euro-Spec

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
If you are looking at an upper with a mid-length gas system, the MK18 won't cover the gas block. It will look...weird, and based on your other selections I don't think that's what you are looking for.

Right, but not the MK18.
Barrel i'm looking at is this: Noveske N4 Light 5.56MM 16" Switchblock

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...oduct_id=29171
Old 01-06-2013, 12:58 AM   #23
bigugly

My Ride: things that go fast.
everyone please have a little silent time.

Mr. Noveske died in a car wreck Friday

Noveske Rifleworks would ask you to remember the passing of our founder, John Noveske, who died Friday, January 4th 2013 in an automobile accident.

John planned for all eventualities, and wanted to ensure any changes would be as seamless as possible for our customers, dealers, suppliers, employees and friends. While this will be a trying time, we do not expect a change in the day to day operations of Noveske Rifleworks. We would like to thank you for your support as we deal with our loss, and would ask that instead of flowers, you consider a donation to a cause we will announce at later date.

John was more than just the founder of Noveske Rifleworks, he was a loving husband and father, and caring friend.

that being said, I have a stainless 16" with switchblock and is the reason why i run noveske or WOA barrels ONLY from now on. they are QUALITY.

with 75g hornady Amax over H335 @ 2700 FPS i can put 5 shots under a dime @ 100 yards.

the only thing I can't fix is broken hearts.
https://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
I want to be your BMW products' authorized installation center in Houston.
bigugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:59 AM   #24
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Barrel i'm looking at is this: Noveske N4 Light 5.56MM 16" Switchblock

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...oduct_id=29171
The link doesn't work, but if it's the barrel that I'm thinking of, it's a mid-length. This is what your upper will look like using a mid-length gas system and a Daniel Defense MK18 rail. You can see the gas block stickout out the front of the rail. Based on your other rail suggestions, I don't think it's what you are looking for.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:25 AM   #25
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Quote:

Right, but not the MK18.
Yeah not mk18, but if he liked that style rail the ris ii 12" would be a much better choice then the mk18 rail IMO. I agree with you that vs the other stuff hes chosen the mk18 won't fit in.

I'll throw another choice out there, geissele smr mk i/ ii or 4(coming out soon I heard)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1357478298.743071.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	484797  
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #26
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

I soooo need to cerakote my rails in FDE.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #27
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Quote:
I soooo need to cerakote my rails in FDE.
Do it! I have an upper/lower getting color matched to the rail above right now

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #28
Tom5933
<3s Euro-Spec

Quote:
The link doesn't work, but if it's the barrel that I'm thinking of, it's a mid-length. This is what your upper will look like using a mid-length gas system and a Daniel Defense MK18 rail. You can see the gas block stickout out the front of the rail. Based on your other rail suggestions, I don't think it's what you are looking for.

Here's a working link.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=2917

And yea, i've decided to add the Daniel Defense M4A1 RIS II 12.25" to the list to replace the MK18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
Yeah not mk18, but if he liked that style rail the ris ii 12" would be a much better choice then the mk18 rail IMO. I agree with you that vs the other stuff hes chosen the mk18 won't fit in.

I'll throw another choice out there, geissele smr mk i/ ii or 4(coming out soon I heard)
Yup, RIS II is definitely more of what I am looking for. I'll look into the Geissele rails later, they look pretty sick tho!

Last edited by Tom5933; 01-06-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Tom5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #29
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Here's a working link.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=2917

And yea, i've decided to add the Daniel Defense M4A1 RIS II 12.25" to the list to replace the MK18.

Yup, RIS II is definitely more of what I am looking for. I'll look into the Geissele rails later, they look pretty sick tho!
Please remember that since you are in NY you can't have a "flash hider". You need to have a muzzle brake, and it must be pinned and welded. I don't know the legalities of having just the barrel mailed to you, but you should probably look into the NY laws first. If you had that barrel mailed to your house as-is, you may be in violation of state law.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #30
Tom5933
<3s Euro-Spec

Quote:
Please remember that since you are in NY you can't have a "flash hider". You need to have a muzzle brake, and it must be pinned and welded. I don't know the legalities of having just the barrel mailed to you, but you should probably look into the NY laws first. If you had that barrel mailed to your house as-is, you may be in violation of state law.
I'm actually living in New Orleans right now. I really need to update my location on my profile ha.

Here's my proposed build. Everything pretty much decided on except for the rail and optic.

Lower Noveske N4
Upper Noveske N4
Lower Parts Kit White Oak Armament LPK - Less Trigger $40.30
Trigger Geissele Super Semi-Auto Enhanced Trigger $240.00
Bolt Carrier Group BCM BCG (MPI) $159.00
Buffer Tube BCM Milspec Receiver Extension $36.95
Carbine Buffer H2 Carbin Buffer $29.95
Grip BCM Gunfighter's Grip Mod 1 $29.95
Spring Sprinco "Blue" Power Buffer Spring $19.95
Charging Handle Rainier Arms Raptor Ambidextrous Charging Handle $85.45
Barrel Noveske N4 Light 5.56MM Barrel - 16 LP $450.00
End Plate Noveske QD End Plate $24.00
Muzzle Brake SureFire SFMB-556-1/2-28 $149.00
Safety Selector Battle Arms Development BAD-CASS-SA Combat Ambi Safety Selector $70.00
Stock Magpul UBR Black $260.00
BUIS Troy Noveske Battlesights Front and Rear $200.00

Rail TBD
Optics TBD

The build follows closely what Adam posted up for me. As I did more and more research, found that I would have chosen many of the same parts anyway haha. Let me know what you guys think!

Also for optics, I am trying to decide between EOTech, Aimpoint, or Trijicon. Not sure what the move is with these.

Last edited by Tom5933; 01-06-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #31
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
Quote:
i know he lives in NO but i live in NY. im pretty sure if its just the barrel or you are fine, but once it is on the gun (attached to the lower reciever) it would be against the law.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #32
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
I'm actually living in New Orleans right now. I really need to update my location on my profile ha.

Here's my proposed build. Everything pretty much decided on except for the rail and optic.

Lower Noveske N4
Upper Noveske N4
Lower Parts Kit White Oak Armament LPK - Less Trigger $40.30
Trigger Geissele Super Semi-Auto Enhanced Trigger $240.00
Bolt Carrier Group BCM BCG (MPI) $159.00
Buffer Tube BCM Milspec Receiver Extension $36.95
Carbine Buffer H2 Carbin Buffer $29.95
Grip BCM Gunfighter's Grip Mod 1 $29.95
Spring Sprinco "Blue" Power Buffer Spring $19.95
Charging Handle Rainier Arms Raptor Ambidextrous Charging Handle $85.45
Barrel Noveske N4 Light 5.56MM Barrel - 16 LP $450.00
End Plate Noveske QD End Plate $24.00
Muzzle Brake SureFire SFMB-556-1/2-28 $149.00
Safety Selector Battle Arms Development BAD-CASS-SA Combat Ambi Safety Selector $70.00
Stock Magpul UBR Black $260.00
BUIS Troy Noveske Battlesights Front and Rear $200.00

Rail TBD
Optics TBD

The build follows closely what Adam posted up for me. As I did more and more research, found that I would have chosen many of the same parts anyway haha. Let me know what you guys think!

Also for optics, I am trying to decide between EOTech, Aimpoint, or Trijicon. Not sure what the move is with these.
Looks good. The only other suggestion that I have is to start with a standard carbine spring (or Sprinco White) and a Carbine or H Buffer. It's a mid-length gas system and that barrel has the switchblock installed on it already. The blue spring and H2 buffer are unecessary for that setup. If you were building an SBR without the switchblock, that's where I would start though.

Aimpoint and Eotech are the most popular. It will boil down to your preference. I've tried both, and my eyes prefer the reticle of the Eotech so now only use those. I have no long term experience with the Trijicon ACOG or RMR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentaruu View Post
i know he lives in NO but i live in NY. im pretty sure if its just the barrel or you are fine, but once it is on the gun (attached to the lower reciever) it would be against the law.
Good to know, thanks!
Old 01-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #33
Tom5933
<3s Euro-Spec

Quote:
Looks good. The only other suggestion that I have is to start with a standard carbine spring (or Sprinco White) and a Carbine or H Buffer. It's a mid-length gas system and that barrel has the switchblock installed on it already. The blue spring and H2 buffer are unecessary for that setup. If you were building an SBR without the switchblock, that's where I would start though.

Aimpoint and Eotech are the most popular. It will boil down to your preference. I've tried both, and my eyes prefer the reticle of the Eotech so now only use those. I have no long term experience with the Trijicon ACOG or RMR.

Good to know, thanks!
After doing some more research, it appears the switchblock will only complicate purchasing a rail so I've decided to just go with the low profile version of the Noveske barrel instead of the swtichblock. Does this alter the springs and buffer I need?

Thanks so much for all your help btw, I really appreciate it!

I've narrowed down the list of rails to these also.

Rainier Arms Fortis REV 12" $200.00
Rainier Arms RA10-X11 $290.00
Superior Weapons Systems Free Float Tube for AR-15 - Rifle Model $340.00
Daniel Defense M4A1 RIS II 12.25" $400.00
Midwest Industries Gen2 T-Series One Piece Free Float $190.00
Centurion Arms C4 Rail System 12-inch $311.00

Attached pictures of all the rails. Hover over the attachment for a second to see the name of the rail.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Centurion Arms C4 12 Inch Rail.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	484949   Click image for larger version

Name:	Daniel Defense RIS II M4A1 12.25.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	484950   Click image for larger version

Name:	Midwest Industries Gen2 T-Series One pIece Free Float 12.gif
Views:	32
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	484951   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rainier Arms Fortis REV Free Float Rail System 12.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	484952  

Name:	Rainier Arms RA10-X11 11.125.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	484953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Superior Weapon Systems Free Float Tube for AR-15 Rifle Model 12.658.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	484954  

Last edited by Tom5933; 01-06-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #34
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Out of those that you listed, I have a Daniel Defense and the Centurion C4. I like them both, and really once I'm shooting I can't tell a difference. I can't offer anything on the rest of them.

I would still start with the standard carbine spring (or White Sprinco) and Carbine or H buffer.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #35
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Subscribed. Will be in the same boat as the OP shortly.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #36
Tom5933
<3s Euro-Spec

Quote:
Out of those that you listed, I have a Daniel Defense and the Centurion C4. I like them both, and really once I'm shooting I can't tell a difference. I can't offer anything on the rest of them.

I would still start with the standard carbine spring (or White Sprinco) and Carbine or H buffer.
Yea I really like the Daniel Defense, Centurion, and SWS. Think I've narrowed it down to those. And perfect, I'll make the correct adjustments to my build list, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Subscribed. Will be in the same boat as the OP shortly.
Welcome aboard, it's a great boat to be in
Old 01-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #37
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Yea I really like the Daniel Defense, Centurion, and SWS. Think I've narrowed it down to those. And perfect, I'll make the correct adjustments to my build list, thanks!

Welcome aboard, it's a great boat to be in
Yup, I have two lowers coming (A Noveske Gen1 and a Spike Punisher) so this thread will be of use. There are many terms that I don't know, in addition to having the rifle NJ compliant, but still lots of good info in here.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #38
Tom5933
<3s Euro-Spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Yup, I have two lowers coming (A Noveske Gen1 and a Spike Punisher) so this thread will be of use. There are many terms that I don't know, in addition to having the rifle NJ compliant, but still lots of good info in here.
Good stuff man, good luck with it!

Regarding optics, I think i'm leaning towards Aimpoint sights. Can't seem to decide on the M2, M3, or M4 though. Will also be definitely getting the 3x magnifier in the far future with whichever one I get though.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #39
Tom5933
<3s Euro-Spec

Ordered my first parts for this build! Don't get too excited though, just a KAC Aluminum Combat Trigger Guard and a BCM Gunfighter's Grip Mod 1.

Last edited by Tom5933; 01-10-2013 at 10:48 PM.