E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #21
MpoweredM
Wants to be Orange

My Ride: 1098S; RR Sport; CRZ
Wife/gf doesn't like guns... She won't be a wife/gf.

Santa Hats thanks to Scott!
Click for pics of my bikes
Click for pics of my old 335
Click for pics of my old S4 avant
Click for pics of my old M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Constatine would of thrown his dildo at the kidnapper and proceed to cry in his closet after said kidnapper escaped.
MpoweredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #22
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
My wife started nearly the same way. Now she has her own Glock 19.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #23
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
Drop her off in the hood at 2 am
Old 01-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #24
FTLAUDM3

My Ride: M3, Z4
I like the hood idea. Seriously though...have her watch the news. Also download a police scanner for your phone. Just walk around the house listening. Its amazing how much bad stuff is going on around and no one realizes. I would also buy a big gun safe. Have it delivered and see what she says.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #25
tiloulou330i

My Ride: 02 330i zsp
Send a message via AIM to tiloulou330i Send a message via MSN to tiloulou330i Send a message via Yahoo to tiloulou330i
Guys,you're not gonna believe in what happened last night!I was home alone with my 5 year-old son,I put him to bed then decided to grab my P226 owner manual to read it while watching tv.For some reason,I left it on the small table with the remotes.Then my wife came home from work and the first thing to greet her was that said manual.She almost got a heart attack,she screamed "what's that?",I don't say a word then she said "you better leave it out of the kid reach".I never said a word.All I did afterward was showing to her my FID card.
One day after she still doesn't say anything.I think she was bluffing.

Originally Posted by nawmean?
I know I sound naive, but some of the advice I've taken from this board has helped my life quite a bit
tiloulou330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #26
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
ofc she was bluffing. make sure you take it apart and put it back together in front of her or clean it one day in front of her and show her how it works. most anti-gun people are just afraid of guns because they are un familiar. definately keep it locked up with a kid around.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #27
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
I see a window of opportunity.

Talk to her but don't mention the gun. Talk about how much she and your kids mean to you. How you want them to always be safe no matter what. Tell her there are real dangers out there. How its your job and primary responsibility to keep them all safe above everything (even your marriage).

You take that responsibility very seriously. A gun is simply one tool to assist in assuring you can meet that responsibility.
Along with it, comes education, training and different approaches to situations.
Tell her you want to face these head on WITH HER.

Sign up for classes, encourage her to ask questions, describe the measure of safety you are taking to ensure responsible ownership.

TAKE HER TO A RANGE. I had a wife like yours. I was amazed, it took only one talk, one class, one range trip... She just askede last night when we could get a baby sitter so we could go shooting.

Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #28
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
Next step is to familiarize her with it at a range.

Sent from my damn phone
Old 01-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #29
Nt_loader
ASA NO MO

My Ride: 2006 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiloulou330i View Post
Guys,you're not gonna believe in what happened last night!I was home alone with my 5 year-old son,I put him to bed then decided to grab my P226 owner manual to read it while watching tv.For some reason,I left it on the small table with the remotes.Then my wife came home from work and the first thing to greet her was that said manual.She almost got a heart attack,she screamed "what's that?",I don't say a word then she said "you better leave it out of the kid reach".I never said a word.All I did afterward was showing to her my FID card.
One day after she still doesn't say anything.I think she was bluffing.
Awesome and do what JJ suggested!
Nt_loader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #30
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentaruu View Post
ofc she was bluffing. make sure you take it apart and put it back together in front of her or clean it one day in front of her and show her how it works. most anti-gun people are just afraid of guns because they are un familiar. definately keep it locked up with a kid around.
Its a law in NJ. He must have it in a safe with a minor in the house.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #31
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Incorrect. No such requirement

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 01-05-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #32
Rostasteve

My Ride: E90 M3
My wife was pretty anti gun. A couple of years ago we started watching "top shot" on the history channel and she started seeing guns as a sporting/skill thing rather that a crazy redneck thing. She never got into shooting, but gave me the window to do it. So if your wife appreciates sport you can pursue that avenue.

Quote:
That's true of a loaded gun in nj...it has to out of reach of a minor.

Last edited by Rostasteve; 01-05-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Rostasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #33
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

No law says a firearm needs to be locked up, unloaded or out of reach of a minor.

There are penalties if a minor gets possession of it and you fail to secure it.
Difference

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #34
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
Incorrect. No such requirement
No going to argue, since you know more about the subject than me, but that is what I was told a few times....

http://professionalsafereview.com/fi...%80%93-part-1/

Maybe I simply misinterpreted the law?

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 01-05-2013 at 09:10 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #35
Sentaruu

reading the statute, it seems as tho you are only liable if the minor gains access to the firearm if its not secured by one of the three listed methods. however if the minor was to gain access to the firearm while it was secured using one of the methods outside lawful use of the said firearm, it doesnt seem that the gun owner would be held liable. doesnt make any mention of a gun owner having to store the firearm in a certain way under the law.

either way, common sense dictates that you securely store your firearms so that minors do not have a chance to get their hands on them

Last edited by Sentaruu; 01-05-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Sentaruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #36
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
reading the statute, it seems as tho you are only liable if the minor gains access to the firearm if its not secured by one of the three listed methods. however if the minor was to gain access to the firearm while it was secured using one of the methods outside lawful use of the said firearm, it doesnt seem that the gun owner would be held liable. doesnt make any mention of a gun owner having to store the firearm in a certain way under the law.

either way, common sense dictates that you securely store your firearms so that minors do not have a chance to get their hands on them
Again, that seems like we are interpreting the law in roundabout ways.....to me it sounds like "there is no law for murder unless there is a body."
Old 01-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #37
Sentaruu

person who knows or reasonably should know that a minor [under 16 years of age] is likely to gain access to a loaded firearm at a premises under the person’s control” is criminally liable for a misdemeanor if a minor gains access to a firearm , unless the person:
■Stores the firearm in a securely locked box or container;
■Stores the firearm in a location which a reasonable person would believe to be secure; or
■Secures the firearm with a trigger lock.

only thing it says is that u are liable IF the minor gets their hands on the firearm. so you can store it however you want as long as the minor doesnt get their hands on them,but if the gun was in a safe, trigger locked or in a reasonable secure location, and the minor did happen to get their hands on them, there would be no criminal liability on the gun owner

but like i said, the gun should be stored in a secure location anyway.

Last edited by Sentaruu; 01-05-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Sentaruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #38
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
Again, that seems like we are interpreting the law in roundabout ways.....to me it sounds like "there is no law for murder unless there is a body."
bad analogy.
Words means things in statutes. It's important to know them. If police and courts interpreted 2C:58-15a without the if a minor gains access , then as soon as a minor walks into your house, you broke the law. Very different.

Quote:
but like i said, the gun should be stored in a secure location anyway.
Agreed.... Laws are meant to punish not prevent. Some kid gets your gun and shoots themselves, it's really a moot point. Practice safe storage

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #39
NFRs2000nyc

Like I said, you are better versed in this stuff than I am, so I appreciate the clarification.