E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #21
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Your original post was better.
lol...i figured that was a litlle too much as i was talking to you and you're usually pretty calm when it comes to debating online.
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #22
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Just looking at the title, it sounds like a republican who's sick of seeing other republicans with that view point vote for a non-republican because of social views.
Watch the vid, he's a Christian beating the drum of god-given rights but putting a money spin on it. It's drivel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Thats the point of his video. Once you legalize abortion to the level liberals want, the next step is having it paid for. Medical weed becomes a "prescription drug" and Sandra Fluke needs it paid for. Everything the liberals want costs money. Now, most of the "social rights" ie gay marriage, abortion, drugs, etc I am for, but I am NOT for their fallout, and there lies the problem.

If you don't agree with the video, you are just delusional.
If you can't see that the video is simplistic, narrow-minded, biased and dogmatic, you are just delusional.

Marijuana is getting paid for one way or another. Legitimizing it and moving the money path out of the shadows and into the light doesn't mean that the govt is going to "make you pay" for someone else's weed.

The religious conservatives in this country know their influence is slipping away. One of their tactics to get what they want is to try to align themselves with fiscal conservatives. If they can't get you to oppose abortion for religious reasons, they'll settle for getting you to oppose it for financial ones.

"Liberal" and "conservative" are broad, often useless labels that are most effective in creating an "us vs them" mentality. And there are plenty of mindless sheep that simply toe the party line.

But in the real world, people often aren't that simple.

Govt: I think there are things the govt is good at, and things that simply have to be done by govt. But I generally think smaller govt is better. More should be done by the private sector.

Taxes: Taxes should be minimized in line with smaller, more efficient, more accountable and results-oriented govt. Redistribution of wealth shouldn't happen. Financial success shouldn't be penalized.

Religion: I believe strongly in the total separation of church and state, and think politicians religious views should be excluded from their decision making.

Welfare: I favor less (but not no) govt welfare, more accountability/higher expectations of able bodied/minded people receiving it, and an increase in private sector help for people in need.

Abortion: I don't believe life begins at conception, so I'm generally pro-choice.

Gay marriage: I think preventing it is discrimination and a civil rights travesty, pure and simple.

Guns: I'd love to get rid of all guns, right after we get rid of all bad people. Until we do, they're here and we have to deal with them rationally, not emotionally.

You can run through the entire list of subjects and you'd find me falling on different "sides" of each. I am "conservative" on some issues, "liberal" on others. Maybe I need my own label, but "delusional" doesn't quite fit.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #23
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrzmiasta View Post
lol...i figured that was a litlle too much as i was talking to you and you're usually pretty calm when it comes to debating online.
lol, no worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
Watch the vid, he's a Christian beating the drum of god-given rights but putting a money spin on it. It's drivel.

If you can't see that the video is simplistic, narrow-minded, biased and dogmatic, you are just delusional.

Marijuana is getting paid for one way or another. Legitimizing it and moving the money path out of the shadows and into the light doesn't mean that the govt is going to "make you pay" for someone else's weed.

The religious conservatives in this country know their influence is slipping away. One of their tactics to get what they want is to try to align themselves with fiscal conservatives. If they can't get you to oppose abortion for religious reasons, they'll settle for getting you to oppose it for financial ones.

"Liberal" and "conservative" are broad, often useless labels that are most effective in creating an "us vs them" mentality. And there are plenty of mindless sheep that simply toe the party line.

Govt: I think there are things the govt is good at, and things that simply have to be done by govt. But I generally think smaller govt is better. More should be done by the private sector.

Taxes: Taxes should be minimized in line with smaller, more efficient, more accountable and results-oriented govt. Redistribution of wealth shouldn't happen. Financial success shouldn't be penalized.

Religion: I believe strongly in the total separation of church and state, and think politicians religious views should be excluded from their decision making.

Welfare: I favor less (but not no) govt welfare, more accountability/higher expectations of able bodied/minded people receiving it, and an increase in private sector help for people in need.

Abortion: I don't believe life begins at conception, so I'm generally pro-choice.

Gay marriage: I think preventing it is discrimination and a civil rights travesty, pure and simple.

Guns: I'd love to get rid of all guns, right after we get rid of all bad people. Until we do, they're here and we have to deal with them rationally, not emotionally.

You can run through the entire list of subjects and you'd find me falling on different "sides" of each. I am "conservative" on some issues, "liberal" on others. Maybe I need my own label, but "delusional" doesn't quite fit.
Thumbs up to all of this. Big time.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 01-06-2013 at 11:46 AM.
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #24
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
For example? What social rights?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post

I agree with most of this except for the gun opinion. I'm an avid hunter and when possible I enjoy trap/skeet shooting. If you eliminate bad people then why the need to eliminate guns? That's like eliminating bad and drunk drivers and then saying okay eliminate cars. I smell fear (perhaps ignorance?) of a harmless and inanimate object.

Not even mentioning the efficiencies of larger countries.

As divided as this country is, at least we are one.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #25
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
I think his point was that it makes as much sense to make all guns illegal as it does to make all bad people illegal.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #26
mistrzmiasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
I think his point was that it makes as much sense to make all guns illegal as it does to make all bad people illegal.
that's what i think also. anyways i agree with him as well.

Last edited by mistrzmiasta; 01-06-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #27
Xcelratr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
I agree with most of this except for the gun opinion. I'm an avid hunter and when possible I enjoy trap/skeet shooting. If you eliminate bad people then why the need to eliminate guns? That's like eliminating bad and drunk drivers and then saying okay eliminate cars. I smell fear (perhaps ignorance?) of a harmless and inanimate object.
I almost didn't mention guns because I knew someone would fixate on that one point and this discussion would get completely off track.

This is not a gun thread and I'm not going to turn it into one. We're not exactly short on those.

I listed all that crap just to illustrate myself as an example of a person that doesn't fit neatly into a conservative or liberal bucket. If you and I only disagree on that one point, I'd say you're the same.

That's what this thread is about.

Yes
Old 01-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #28
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
This guy is full of sh*t.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #29
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Quote:
Yea, and I just split the atom. The guy who advocates for unions is fiscally conservative.
Look at you - totally missing the point.

Again.

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #30
mkodama

Some really good posts and discussion in this thread. OT, I am proud.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #31
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
His broad statement about liberalism and conservatism is accurate. However, for example if the legalization of marijuana when added costs of government oversight cost the tax payers less than the war on marijuana than it would be fiscally conservative to actually have marijuana legalized.

Where life begins aside, if abortions help population control and for "entertainment purposes only" we assume the majority of people getting abortions are uneducated and/or people who are currently unfit for the role of parenthood we can only assume it would be less harsh on the tax payers to NOT have another mouth on the government t!t.

Fiscally conservative in my mind should always equal less taxes on the American people.

Lastly, I don't think him talking about abortions has anything to do with his religion, one can easily not have a religion but believe life starts at conception.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #32
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Damn I got rolled big time.

Not even mentioning the efficiencies of larger countries.

As divided as this country is, at least we are one.

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 01-06-2013 at 09:21 PM.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #33
mistrzmiasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
This guy is full of sh*t.
OF COURSE he is.....
Old 01-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #34
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
His broad statement about liberalism and conservatism is accurate. However, for example if the legalization of marijuana when added costs of government oversight cost the tax payers less than the war on marijuana than it would be fiscally conservative to actually have marijuana legalized.

Where life begins aside, if abortions help population control and for "entertainment purposes only" we assume the majority of people getting abortions are uneducated and/or people who are currently unfit for the role of parenthood we can only assume it would be less harsh on the tax payers to NOT have another mouth on the government t!t.

Fiscally conservative in my mind should always equal less taxes on the American people.

Lastly, I don't think him talking about abortions has anything to do with his religion, one can easily not have a religion but believe life starts at conception.
Agreed on all points, drug taxes will be huge. Most abortions are from would-be unfit mothers. I'm all for abortion, but I do believe that "life" begins at conception...I'm not religious in the slightest but I see "life" as a scientific event.

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #35
Xcelratr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
I can understand how you'd think that, if you stopped watching at 2:05 or 2:39.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Damn I got rolled big time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Agreed on all points, drug taxes will be huge. Most abortions are from would-be unfit mothers. I'm all for abortion, but I do believe that "life" begins at conception...I'm not religious in the slightest but I see "life" as a scientific event.
Can you cite a source for that claim? Or is it just your impression?

Yes
Old 01-07-2013, 01:07 AM   #36
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
can't, or wont?
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:11 AM   #37
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
I never met anyone who claimed to be a fiscal liberal. Stupid labels are stupid.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote