E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
bmw golf guy

My Ride: 2002 bmw 325xi
325xi brake pads

So I have brake dust covering my rear wheels. I am needing new brake pads and probably new rotors also.

Any recommendations on brake pads that don't leave a lot of brake dust? And any recommendations on how to remove the current brake dust from the wheels?
bmw golf guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
DavidDee

My Ride: 2004 325xi
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-34...ci-z3-set.aspx

I went with Axxis Metal Master pads. I really like them, they bite in any weather condition and leave very very little brake dust. A world of a difference compared to stock.

"It has a radio and speakers but it's kinda hard to hear over horny bitches moanin in the back when I start it up.."
DavidDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
There's many dustless pads to pick from. One concern is some of them have poor cold performance. Meaning, unless the pads are warmed up, they have bad grip requiring more pedal pressure etc. Some owners may not care about cold fade like the track crowd who know this and warm them braking before hitting the course. They want no fade when hot and often swap between street and track pads per event. Dustless street pads including ceramics may have this cold fade property and you may not like it.

Running stock composition pads will produce dust but it's certainly manageable. When dust is fused to the wheel requiring solvents and elbow grease to remove, we're talking a neglected car. Normal build-up basically washes off every couple weeks with a hose and a little wiping. I have a sponge stick with a micro-fiber material wrapped around it that when jabbed around the spokes can zoom through a wheel in 30 seconds rinsing shiny clean. That's every two weeks or so.

The stock pad design will yield the best braking feel and pedal feedback in all conditions. There are dustless flavors that come close. I think with all the suppliers out there, that BMW would have changed over if something had equal to or better performance with less dust? So far they haven't.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
DavidDee

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckles View Post
There's many dustless pads to pick from. One concern is some of them have poor cold performance. Meaning, unless the pads are warmed up, they have bad grip requiring more pedal pressure etc. Some owners may not care about cold fade like the track crowd who know this and warm them braking before hitting the course. They want no fade when hot and often swap between street and track pads per event. Dustless street pads including ceramics may have this cold fade property and you may not like it.

Running stock composition pads will produce dust but it's certainly manageable. When dust is fused to the wheel requiring solvents and elbow grease to remove, we're talking a neglected car. Normal build-up basically washes off every couple weeks with a hose and a little wiping. I have a sponge stick with a micro-fiber material wrapped around it that when jabbed around the spokes can zoom through a wheel in 30 seconds rinsing shiny clean. That's every two weeks or so.

The stock pad design will yield the best braking feel and pedal feedback in all conditions. There are dustless flavors that come close. I think with all the suppliers out there, that BMW would have changed over if something had equal to or better performance with less dust? So far they haven't.
I found the metal masters to be a happy medium. I haven't ever felt any problems with them in the cold. They've seen temperatures of -30 and still didn't have a problem.

"It has a radio and speakers but it's kinda hard to hear over horny bitches moanin in the back when I start it up.."
DavidDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
White_Knuckles

^^ Good information. I'm sure they're less-dust not dust-less.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
Kubica

Performance Friction Z-compound outperform BMW pads in all areas.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
tomoyer

My Ride: 03 325xi, 03 330xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
Pads I have used: Padig Sport Pads, less dusting and very good all round stopping power and no fade. Metal Masters, very little dusting but cold they require more "pedal pressure" and slightly more fade in heavy wetness. Full ceramic pads, almost no dusting, very good stopping power cold or hot with no fade, will squeal a little bit first application of pedal when damp, i.e. sitting overnite in the rain as some dampness "seeps" onto rotor surface and pad surface, goes completely away during first application, i.e. backing out of driveway.
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
redbull 325is

My Ride: 325xit/6
Send a message via AIM to redbull 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Performance Friction Z-compound outperform BMW pads in all areas.
yeah but they still dust like pigs

i like my axxis/pbr deluxe (ceramic) for daily driving
Old 01-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #9
White_Knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoyer View Post
Pads I have used: Padig Sport Pads, less dusting and very good all round stopping power and no fade. Metal Masters, very little dusting but cold they require more "pedal pressure" and slightly more fade in heavy wetness. Full ceramic pads, almost no dusting, very good stopping power cold or hot with no fade, will squeal a little bit first application of pedal when damp, i.e. sitting overnite in the rain as some dampness "seeps" onto rotor surface and pad surface, goes completely away during first application, i.e. backing out of driveway.
So, with that experience, what is your preferred choice next order? Ceramic? What brand?
Old 01-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
tomoyer

I've just outfitted my other E46 with a complete set of cross-drilled rotors and full ceramic pads from R1 Concepts. Perfect fit of the rotors (and yes I know there are quite a few of you here that swear only by OEM BMW rotors for street use) and the full ceramic pads they have are great. What little dusting there is washes off easily without using wheel cleaner(s) and the inside of the wheels stay clean. No fade in heavy rain or in very spirited twisty driving. Didn't like the Metal Masters because of having to "warm" them up first like racing pads so that they would work, however, once warmed up, they worked excellent. The Pagid Sport pads are now very hard to get and are very expensive, they were much better than the Pagid "Reds" (my opinion) that are easy to come by. I might be tempted to try Cool Carbons next time around to see if they are in any respect better than the full ceramic pads from R1 Concepts.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #11
Kubica

^ ^^ I don't know why anyone would use ceramic pads- they barely stop the car.

PFC-Z dust rinses off with just a bit of water pressure. I ruined a set of Pagid Sports in an hour at the track- not a good product.

PF makes the best pads for a BMW- by far the most popular at the track too.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #12
bikesandcars

My Ride: 2002 325xi-sport pkg
I really like Hawk brake pads. HP Plus or HPS would be great depending on what kind of driving you do. HP Plus stops better, HPS is a better pure-street pad.

Hawk HPS are very low dust, easy on rotors and for me lasted over 100K miles on my VW

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hw...mw/model/325xi

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hw...mw/model/325xi

I got my rotors from online, I think the fronts were eibach and the backs were some generic type brand... front rotors are much more important.

You can get quality rotors from NAPA, autozone, etc if you get their better brand

Last edited by bikesandcars; 01-06-2013 at 02:40 PM.
bikesandcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #13
tomoyer

Like everything else, members here have their favorites and their unfavorable items such as brake pads, rotors, oil, brake fluid, etc. Would I use the full ceramic pads for a day at the track, NO, but they work perfectly well for spirited street driving and everyday driving without having the annoying dust build up which can ruin the finish of any alloy wheel. Not sure if you were talking about he old red Pagid Sport Pads or their newer replacements, but the older ones were great, lower dusting and very little fade when warmed up during track events.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #14
bikesandcars

very true.. brake pads are somewhat like oil... very few people have enough experience running various kinds to failure to know how every brand compares... and by the time they do the manufactuerers change something.

In brake pads you definately get what you pay for. All the marketing hype in the world doesn't matter... the best brand at Napa / autozone doesn't compare to the folks that make brakes for racecars.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #15
Kubica

Let's all just agree that anything made by Hawk is complete garbage.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #16
bikesandcars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Let's all just agree that anything made by Hawk is complete garbage.
Are you joking or trolling

I find hawks work great
Old 01-09-2013, 08:32 AM   #17
xi_ter

Akebonos from TireRack. The company makes the brakes for the bullet trains.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #18
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Stoptech pads great pricing and pads. Rotors be centric, Brembo, ate are recommend
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #19
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
I use OEM Textar.

IDGAF about dust as long as the car stops.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #20
athayer187

My Ride: 2004 330xi
My favorite street pads are actually Porterfield R4S's. They stop well in all weather/temperatures, have a reasonable amount of dust (not dust less, but less than OEM - dust is actually a lighter color gray than most brake dust, so your wheels appear cleaner), and don't squeal much at all. I've tried everything from Performance Friction (love their -01's and -06's on the track), Hawk, Akebono, Porterfield, and OEM over the years. There is always a tradeoff, but the R4s's hit the sweet spot for me.

Also - my experience with slotted rotors is that they increase both brake dust and pad wear.

1988 535is - EAT chip, style 5 wheels for track, style 29 wheels for street, urethane UCAB's,
urethane trans mounts, 500/450 IE Coilovers, UUC SSK, Mason Engineering strut bars,
Hella H1/H4 headlights, Schroth Rallye 3's, Dinan 25/19 swaybars, 750i brakes
2004 330xi - stock except for UUC SSK, RE RSM's, Koni Yellows, UUC TSE1

Last edited by athayer187; 01-09-2013 at 02:20 PM.
athayer187 is online now   Reply With Quote