E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #21
FenderGuy05
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBoy323i View Post
I have the same setup as you for my fronts they are pretty good.
They stop pretty quick, I searched around for OEM manufactures, but so many different opinions, settled on a setup that dmax recommended, I think.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #22
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Blanks from good company and textar...which is OE on mine.

BMW engineers thought about the brakes a lot, don't you think? They probably didn't factor 'dusting' too much into their calculations and you shouldn't either...at all. Ever.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #23
rcsummers

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
BMW parts would be OE.

BMW parts with the roundels scratched off and/or identified by an OEM supplier would be OEM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Blanks from good company and textar...which is OE on mine.

BMW engineers thought about the brakes a lot, don't you think? They probably didn't factor 'dusting' too much into their calculations and you shouldn't either...at all. Ever.

but but but it makes my wheels dirty.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #24
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsummers View Post
but but but it makes my wheels dirty.
Because if you don't, you'll have twice the car I have going forward, but half the car when stopping.

You guys want to be outdone stopping by an old man?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

Old 01-03-2013, 12:08 AM   #25
always-there

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
Sounds like DMAX did his research. So why do we pick drilled, slotted, ate rotors and what not over oem and good pads? For what I know, I think the idea is to keep the rotors 30-35% cooler for it to help bite/brake quicker and well, avoiding fading. This, and looks as far as I'm concerned. I was considering buying Zimmerman rotors but, I decided to do a little more research before I did. The majority of us here don't track our cars, so what's the point in buying drilled/slotted rotors? I like to take spirited runs here and there and I clearly don't think that justifies the need for the expensive rotors. I'll probably go for either the Brembo blanks and a good set of semi-metallic pads. I remembering reading about the cheap asbestos brake pads causing the most dust (doesn't matter), and wearing out very quick, but provide decent braking over ceramics; now ceramics brake pads typically last longer than even the rotors themselves and most of the time warp the rotors. Oh and, the brake pads fade badly. Any of you ever notice the warped or worn out slotted rotors on Benz or high end luxury cars ? They use ceramic brake pads. Due to this, I stay the heck away from them. Good luck to you guys.
always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:14 AM   #26
dmax

I've read a lot about brakes and concluded that no one I'd read a post from with some other pad ever said it was better than OE. I've read many 'almost as good as OE with less dusting' and then I stop reading them!

If you drive in the rain and snow, heat and cold, rarely track, but like your car to stop...it's a bmw. Hmmm? What kind of brakes should a bmw have? Textar and blanks (I think I got Balo)...after 60K miles on a complete 4 corners (pads and rotors), I only needed to replace my front pads. I'm still here, and I didn't hit those deer that ran in front of me...though I did get rear ended by an Asian woman in a minivan 3 secs. after I stopped!

If you use OE brakes, make sure you remember how close cars are behind you...the brakes might be too good to use in some circumstances!

I'll tap my brake pedal a few times if I see traffic slowing in front of me...since I have a manual, many don't realize that cars can slow without using the brakes...so I give those behind me a little heads up.

Drive safely folks!

Old 01-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #27
rollan

My Ride: 2003 325i
Carbotech, Axxis, or Hawk pads work really well. They have great response, & bite harder than stock. They will be noisy, but they'll keep your wheels clean. I normally get stock rotors, have the hats painted black, & install some StopTech braided brake lines. Then any of the pads I mentioned, is an inexpensive way to upgrade. If money isn't a problem, then a big brake upgrade is the best. It's the thing I miss the most from my Subaru.
rollan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:41 PM   #28
TrickTizzle

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
I like my Stoptech Performance pads with the Stoptech/Brembo slotted rotors I am using.
Works great with MOTUL600, and held up fine at the track!
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #29
hummer

My Ride: 2001 330CI
Lovin my Zimmerman and Metal Masters from Turner.
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #30
LittleBear

My Ride: 2001 330i
Hello BMW Experts!

Never mind...

TIA! Murf

Last edited by LittleBear; 05-07-2013 at 10:14 AM.
LittleBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #31
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
I got tired of the brake dust. So I went with ceramic.

They definitely do not stop as well but I keep that in mind when I'm behind someone.