E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #21
E46330iguy

My Ride: Supercharged 330i
Id make him take the course and buy all the safety gear, 90% of the time when people get hurt on bikes its because they are the idiots wearing DC shoes and shorts and crash. If you cant convince him against a bike try and make him get something not as fast as a sport bike. As long as he dosent drive stupid he should be okay, But at the same time most Motorcycle crashes i see are caused by other people changing lanes into bikes

you've Met a terrible fate haven't you ?

KONI /Michelin/Stoptec/Borla/ Bimmerbrake / MTechII/AA Stage one (for now) Automatic--->5 speed swap/ UUC High performance clutch kit

Questions about Header wrap? clickHere
Supercharger build thread click Here
E46330iguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #22
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite012 View Post
Just tell him that there are a bunch of asian people at/near/around Berkeley. Maybe he'll think again?
There are Asians in Berkeley? You know, I asked him about if there were Asians there and he assured me there were none. "Don't worry, Dad, no Asians" he said over and over to me. That was the only real concern I had.

Now I have a bigger worry!

Thanks...that's another good image to plant in his head...along with the Berkeley drug culture.

You know what doctors and nurses call motorcycle drivers?

Donors.

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #23
sammk

My Ride: Bone-stock E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaseb View Post
...which makes you more conscience and prevents you from doing anything stupid...
Does that really apply to the average 18-year old..???

Dmax, your concern is a valid one. I can tell you so because I've almost been plowed down a couple times by careless drivers. Also because I know how I ride today versus when I was 18, and there's a big difference. I'm a natural when it comes to driving/riding but some of the things I did back in the day make me cringe today. I'm lucky to be sitting here typing this out.

A lot of unknowns make you more vulnerable on a bike - other road-users, adrenalin, road conditions, weather conditions, lack of a crumple zone, just plain old stress etc. etc.

But you need to rationalize your fear. If you think he's not ready for the responsibility yet, that's your judgement to make as a dad. However, don't expect to remote-control him and keep him off a bike long-term, that's not fair. Also, if he is bent on getting on a bike, you can't keep him off one. If it's not now, it'll happen next year, couple years down the line, sometime.

IMHO, you need to first put your foot down with the uncle and let him know clearly that he's not helping your son with this without your consent. Then you should have the conversation with your 18-year old, but be reasonable. Tell him you think it's best he waits until he's older, until he's out of college. The only way you can get him to go with your idea is to be reasonable, frank and caring. You need to appeal to his best senses and he needs to understand that your motivation is because you're more experienced in life and are concerned about his safety above everything.

I guess that's the best you can do. It may take some persistence on your part, but be patient. Maybe he'll grow out of the idea, maybe he won't. If he doesn't, then you need to think of the ways you can serve as a facilitator to introduce him to riding responsibly when the time is right.

E92 convert. BMW Fanatic.
sammk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #24
b0bab0i

My Ride: x
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
There are Asians in Berkeley? You know, I asked him about if there were Asians there and he assured me there were none. "Don't worry, Dad, no Asians" he said over and over to me. That was the only real concern I had.

Now I have a bigger worry!

Thanks...that's another good image to plant in his head...along with the Berkeley drug culture.

Donors.
Your son is lying to you.
Berkeley is 40% Asian.
http://diversity.berkeley.edu/underg...current-census
Old 01-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #25
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
I feel for you, Doug. I hope my son doesn't ever want to ride a motorcycle.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #26
sammk

My Ride: Bone-stock E92
Quote:

Donors.
Getting ready for your 17th appearance?

E92 convert. BMW Fanatic.
sammk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #27
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
i'm on the fence about getting a bike right now and my parents' disapproval is honestly a fairly big part of my indecision, and i'm a grown man. the best thing you can do is be reasonable about it. if he goes to berkeley, i'm sure he's not an idiot. tell him why you don't want him on a bike and maybe he'll reconsider. if he doesn't though, make sure he rides safe.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #28
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bab0i View Post
Your son is lying to you.
Berkeley is 40% Asian.
http://diversity.berkeley.edu/underg...current-census
I know Berkeley has a large Asian population. Personally, I'm glad. If we didn't have Asians in this country, we wouldn't have to push to excel in many subjects.

I don't have a bigoted bone in my body...I was just joking (Asian people, stop sending me your hate PMs!)

My strongest point with my son is that I love him and he'd destroy my life worse than his own if something happened to him.

My wife is helping him finance this and my moron bil is getting involved. I haven't talked to bil in years...if I told him to back off, he'd want to get even more involved. He's a d!ck...even compared to the worst here!

Griffin...btw...you serious about the offer to butt rape him? You are such an exceptional fanatic, I have to say! PM sent!

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup

Last edited by dmax; 01-07-2013 at 07:51 PM.
dmax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #29
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
Who says motorcycles aren't dangerous? Please go tell that to ER doctors.

i spend it while i can, if i run out i'll swallow all my meds
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #30
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Show him these pictures of what can happen to someone with 40+ years of riding experience going less than 30mph.

Does your son ride dirt bikes? I would suggest this first as an alternative to a street bike, it might save his life when he inevitably gets a street bike. He will have MORE fun and get LESS hurt.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #31
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
I know Berkeley has a large Asian population. Personally, I'm glad. If we didn't have Asians in this country, we wouldn't have to push to excel in many subjects.

I don't have a bigoted bone in my body...I was just joking (Asian people, stop sending me your hate PMs!)
There are Asian people on this forum?
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #32
pancakes

My Ride: car, truck, & bike
my dad is buying a bike this year.....

... I wish I could stop him

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post
I don't support inertacial dating either, I'd tell you right to your face.
pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #33
BLKBLK

My Ride: A gas guzzler
I usually don't post on this forum, but I wanted to chime in on this. I, myself is or was a recreational rider. However, I recently lost a good friend of mine who got involved in a motorcycle accident. I was the one who always thought that riding motorcycle is not as dangerous. Now, I have a different perspective on it. Sure, it's a blast and the adrenaline you get from it is almost unrivaled. You could be the safest and the most responsible rider on the street; however, a one bad mistake or judgement from a driver can put your life in jeopardy, as this was what happened to my friend. I'm not trying to scare other riders out there, but it's my 0.02 and take it for what it's worth.
BLKBLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #34
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Do you know anybody that works at a trauma center? ER? Motorcycle riders are called "organ donors".

I know everyone's going to argue with me on this, but the fact is that you are less safe on a motorcycle than you are in a car. Maybe most motorcycle accidents are caused by the idiots/squids riding them, but there are also way too many posts about guys who have ridden for 20-30 years accident free, and then get rear ended by some 19 year old teenage girl who was texting. As much as you want to and try to be situationally aware 100% of the time, sometimes that 0.5% of the time you're not watching your mirrors are when you get hit, and all it takes is one hit to completely change your life.

Talk to him and see why he wants to get a motorcycle? Does he just want to look cool? Does he think that motorcycles make you feel more connected, free, and open compared to cars? Or that it's better on gas (yes it is but nobody gets one because of this), can split lanes (in CA), and provides more of a thrill just driving around town? Figure out why he wants it and figure out how he can get it, without risking his life on the streets. Figure out why you don't want him to ride it. Then, you can come up with a compromise.

Maybe you can get him a track bike, or maybe you can get him a track car and split paying for track days? Maybe there's a way of restricting when and where he can ride it?
Old 01-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #35
CRZY BMW

My Ride: has wings & a prop
I love to ride! I've owned two R6's and have riden for years. Honestly, how you ride greatly effects how safe it is, but regardless all it takes is one yahoo to ruin your day. Most of my friends that ride have been down; I was lucky enough to never go down. There is a saying, "there are those of us who have gone down, and those who will."

I decided it just wasn't worth it in southern california and took up flying instead since it was always a childhood dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
I might dive in this spring and pick up a Road King or a street glide.
All that being said...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=309167&stc=1&d=1238667257

Last edited by CRZY BMW; 01-07-2013 at 07:58 PM.
CRZY BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #36
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdrivedrift View Post
I know everyone's going to argue with me on this, but the fact is that you are less safe on a motorcycle than you are in a car. Maybe most motorcycle accidents are caused by the idiots/squids riding them, but there are also way too many posts about guys who have ridden for 20-30 years accident free, and then get rear ended by some 19 year old teenage girl who was texting. As much as you want to and try to be situationally aware 100% of the time, sometimes that 0.5% of the time you're not watching your mirrors are when you get hit, and all it takes is one hit to completely change your life.
Anyone who argues with you over that point is an idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRZY BMW View Post
I love to ride! I've owned two R6's and have riden for years. Honestly, how you ride greatly effects how safe it is, but regardless all it takes is one yahoo to ruin your day. Most of my friends that ride have been down; I was lucky enough to never go down. There is a saying, "there are those of us who have gone down, and those who will."

I decided it just wasn't worth it in southern california and took up flying instead since it was always a childhood dream.
I know what really happened. Obama took your bike.

i spend it while i can, if i run out i'll swallow all my meds
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #37
eee4666

My Ride: '02 325i / '07 600RR
Never understood the "it's not if, but when" argument regarding riding.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #38
S373N

My Ride: 01' 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
I was told I would be totally cut off financially if I ever got a bike. I got a bike 4 months after I graduated and got a job. If you're helping him out at all then you still hold all the cards.
This.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #39
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
www.theync.com

Plenty of reasons to not ride on that site.

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #40
rjskalet

My Ride: TiAg M3
I'm young so I don't have kids but I can say that I got my motorcycle license when I was 17 and started riding my dads r6 before then. My parents were cool with it on one condition. I had to take the safety class. Also my parents were strict where I took it. Once I turned 18 though they didn't care as much because I bought a gsxr600. I also have gone down as well and I didn't ride for almost a year because I was so damn scared. The more you resist him getting it the more he is going to want to. He will have to learn to ride it and I say take the class. Obviously its different being that you are in Cali and traffic is a whole different situation then on the east coast but like someone else said. The thing you have to worry about it other drivers not your son. If you feel he is responsible enough for a bike you shouldn't have problems but if you don't then he shouldn't own one. That's why my parents let me get mine and start riding young.
rjskalet is offline   Reply With Quote