E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #41
CRZY BMW

My Ride: has wings & a prop
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
Anyone who argues with you over that point is an idiot.

I know what really happened. Obama took your bike.
Nah, that fool wasnt in office when I had bikes. He is trying to take away my right to fly by pushing a landing tax.

Although now that the government is in the healthcare business, maybe they will say bikes are to dangerous... and ban them.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=309167&stc=1&d=1238667257

Last edited by CRZY BMW; 01-07-2013 at 08:01 PM.
CRZY BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #42
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRZY BMW View Post
Nah, that fool wasnt in office when I had bikes. He is trying to take away my right to fly by pushing a landing tax.

Although now that the government is in the healthcare business, maybe they will say bikes are to dangerous... and ban them.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #43
TruckDaddy

My Ride: 1991 Kenworth T600
I wanted a bike when I was 20. My old man talked me out of it. What he said that really changed my mind was when he said on a bike, there are no bumpers. You could be the best motorcycle rider but it won't matter. All it takes is one distracted driver to even bump into you and you go flying. Still like them, but not for me.

Say what again. Say What AGAIN! I DARE YA, I DOUBLE DARE YA MOTHAFCUKA! SAY WHAT ONE MORE GOD DAMN TIME!
Quote:
Originally Posted by enter
It's a social thing guys get over it. My mom said in Chinese culture the longer your hair down there is the higher class you are, and my mom is one of the classiest ladies i know.
TruckDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #44
BRccKLYN

My Ride: Topaz 01 330ci
Crazy thing is I've been seriously contemplating purchasing a bike for the last month until a friend of the families died in a motorcycle accident the first of January this year (20 years old). They are very dangerous but he needs to make his own decisions. If hes grown enough to make his own decisions then he should be able to purchase it on his own without any outside help. Cut him off and tell his ass to man up.
BRccKLYN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #45
PH03NIX46

My Ride: '03 M3
Dmax, you're overreacting.

Coming from a user that's about as old as your son, if I got a bike, I'd ride it and have fun with it. Just like I do my car.

Don't blame it all on his uncle. Fact of the matter is, bikes are absolutely awesome to almost every teenage guy around. I want one, but until I move out of my parent's house, I'm not allowed to bring one anywhere near the premises for the same reason.

Will I get a bike some day? Yes.
You're stopping your son from getting one today...but when you're not around and living alongside him, maybe a few years from now, he'll buy one himself.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #46
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:

maybe not, but maybe your healthcare cost will be higher
Old 01-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #47
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by PH03NIX46 View Post
You're stopping your son from getting one today...but when you're not around and living alongside him, maybe a few years from now, he'll buy one himself.
Cool, that's you. I wanted a bike at that age, and I still want one now. However, I've invested so much into myself and my life at this point that I am not willing to risk losing my life (or even just losing 100% ability of my hands) just to ride a bike. Maybe in the future I'll get a track bike, but I doubt I'll be riding on the street.

Last edited by dreamdrivedrift; 01-07-2013 at 08:12 PM.
dreamdrivedrift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #48
CRZY BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
$100 per landing... Fortunately groups like AOPA got it to exclude prop planes for now, but it wont be long.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=309167&stc=1&d=1238667257

Old 01-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #49
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by PH03NIX46 View Post
Dmax, you're overreacting.

Coming from a user that's about as old as your son, if I got a bike, I'd ride it and have fun with it. Just like I do my car.

Don't blame it all on his uncle. Fact of the matter is, bikes are absolutely awesome to almost every teenage guy around. I want one, but until I move out of my parent's house, I'm not allowed to bring one anywhere near the premises for the same reason.

What you're seeing in my 'over reaction' is the effect of my knowing the risks and loving my son.

But, based on your post, I think I need to react less and hopefully have a son that stays off them forever...as fun as they are.

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #50
CRZY BMW

Show him accidents on liveleak or rotten...

Old 01-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #51
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert, 323I
If you get the itch for a motorcycle you're going to scratch it (purchase one) no matter what.

Then if it doesn't work out and you don't like it sell it.

I was about to buy a zx9r but the night before riding down to buy it, I saw someone get hit by a car outside my neighborhood (survived, but taken to hospital and was ko'd) but though to myself that could have been me on a bike getting hit and said fvck it...didn't buy the bike.

Even though after that I still ride my friends bikes, and I'm most likely going to buy one for the weekends and I live near the sticks so lots of open highway to ride. And I'll be riding with a few other people if I do so we will be visible to traffic.

Riding is dangerous if you are by yourself on busy highways. Out in the country just don't ride like an idiot and its fairly safe. If he wants one for daily use I'd say no. But as a weekend toy...why not?

Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #52
pancakes

My Ride: car, truck, & bike
Where I live now is kind of rural, so that makes me feel a little better about riding. I think when I move next, I'll get rid of my bike though and consider myself lucky to have survived riding this long.... or just buy a full-on dirtbike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eee4666 View Post
Never understood the "it's not if, but when" argument regarding riding.
agree... plenty of people ride their whole lives and never go down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post
I don't support inertacial dating either, I'd tell you right to your face.

Last edited by pancakes; 01-07-2013 at 08:24 PM.
pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #53
alwaysbored786

My Ride: Noble|M3|XJ
use the words "im disappointed in you." if your kid has any shred of respect for you, those words will hit him hard and make him think about his decision. When i purchased my bike, i was 21, parents were 100% against it, but i did it anyways, never had any big scares, but then again, i was never a crazy rider. Sooner or later, if he gets a bike, he WILL crash, its inevitable, just make sure if he get a bike, that he is properly geared (full leather jacket, no mesh crap riding pants, boots, good light helmet, gloves, and any undergear he may need).

*NO F-BOMBS IN SIGS*
How to refinish rims
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
I am proposing opening up a Paypal fund for OP. The funds will directly be used in purchasing a farm so that OP can grow some balls.
alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #54
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 330ciC
Quote:
Show him accidents on liveleak or rotten...
Yeah, that guy that crashed into a Taco Bell at 100 mph comes to mind.

I had two Kawasaki 2-stroke triples when I was a kid. Lost a bit of skin on the pavement until I learned to slow down. I fell off 4 or 5 times, but every accident I had was my fault.

I still ride dirt bikes, but I'm not 100% sold on getting back on the street. That's why I'm considering a Harley. Can't ride it like a sportbike.

Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #55
Treburkulosis

My Ride: BMW
Have you tried hitting him?
Treburkulosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #56
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Father problems....

Better than trying to keep your daughter off the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #57
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
Father problems....

If that's your issue, it's too late for you as a parent.

i spend it while i can, if i run out i'll swallow all my meds
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #58
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
Father problems....

There are solutions for most problems.

One of my oldest friends told me recently that his daughter wants to become a nun...lights out at 10, candles out at 11.

Work up a campaign of 'hate against men.' Start drinking heavily and hitting everyone around you. Bring hookers home...that sort of stuff.

You can do this and I wish you as good luck as I hope I have!

I'll have to get him to read this thread. Maybe Griffin could help some more with some appropriate graphic?

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup

Last edited by dmax; 01-07-2013 at 08:40 PM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #59
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
If that's your issue, it's too late for you as a parent.
its a joke...

your only job as a father is to keep your daughter off the pole

chris rock.

Last edited by Sentaruu; 01-07-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Sentaruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #60
NJ///M

My Ride: TACO TRUCK/CBR600F4
Give him the facts:

Motorcycles do not make you cool

They are no fun

Chicks don't like them

In reality if he wants to get on a bike he is going to no matter what. All you can do is not aid him in purchasing one. He seems smart enough to realize that it is a potentially dangerous pursuit and will take the proper precautions before getting one.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend; Those with loaded guns and those who dig."
NJ///M is offline   Reply With Quote