E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #241
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #242
Aatos

My Ride: 325xi, x5, Audi A8L
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Lay down and look under the bumper, you'll see two big metal bolts.
Thanks. I did find them yesterday, then had fun getting them to release from their plastic sleeves (easy if you know what you should do). Bumper is off and I'm just waiting for my fan to arrive. Anyone have a problem with the stamped-on bolts that hold the fan on? One of mine started to spin before the nut came off. Now I'm likely going to replace it with a bolt with hex head.
Aatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #243
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Yup, those plastic pieces will break guaranteed.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:57 AM   #244
straight_beamin

My Ride: 2000 bmw 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesko.pk View Post
you & me both. I know what you're saying on the tranny, I think they came out with Step for the '01 model year, previous to that it was the oooooold style.
wrong, step was in the 2000 e46 also
Old 10-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #245
EDWAGON

My Ride: 2004 325xiT
Subscribed
Old 11-25-2012, 09:32 PM   #246
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Got a question on this mod.
I found electric fan from a 330 on a part out thread, but only with the fan and the motor(thats what the seller says).

Will I be able to use the electrical fan with the mechanical fan shroud? Do the shrouds even separate?

I was not really thinking about this mod till I saw it in the part out thread, so I am curious now.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #247
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

I would spend $180-200 on a new one with the proper shroud.

I doubt it will work with the mechanical fan shroud because the electric fan HAS to be in a specific housing that holds onto the radiator
Old 11-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #248
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
I would spend $180-200 on a new one with the proper shroud.

I doubt it will work with the mechanical fan shroud because the electric fan HAS to be in a specific housing that holds onto the radiator
Thanks man. I was thinking the same. I dont think its worth a risk.
I will just buy a new one when I am ready to do this mod.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #249
builder brad

My Ride: 330Cd and 325Ci
330d aux fan delete

Hi Guys,

Great Thread.

I am going to be upgrading the Intercooler on my 2004 Sport Coupe 330cd.

Was originally going to add some smaller electrical fans to replace the front mounted AC Aux fan that will be displaced by the larger Intercooler, but saw this thread and thought yeaaaaaaah.......perfect!

Makes perfect sense to me. My old 2001 325ci only had the engine viscous fan, so I was surprised to see the extra fan on the 330cd. It makes a racket as well, but not this time of year, its freezing.lol.

I could probably reuse the old front mounted Aux fan, by playing about and fitting it into the viscous fan housing, but I can get a 2nd hand fan for about 50.00 with the exact part number shown in the thread - 17117561757

my cars got 204,000 miles on it so far. I am looking to get at least 300k..............................anything that helps with the MPG and efficiency gets my vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brad
builder brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:25 AM   #250
love2drive330CI

My Ride: 2001 330CI
I posted this information in another thread but figured it would do justice here since it might help expedite the process. I did feel like MacGyver when I "thunk" of my shoe string!!!

repost:
If you have a big screwdriver or something strong enough to press down on the bolt while you take a quick smack with the hammer onto the 32mm wrench to initially loosen nut; it has worked for me for years. Obviously you know it is a reverse threaded.

Now I did just figure out something so funny and yet so effective when it was time to put the fan back on. This has always been my nightmare part I dreaded dealing with the fan. I have even had my girlfriend help with me because she had small hands but still this was a royal pain for me.

I unlaced my sneaker and used my shoe string and carefully wrapped the nut with the shoe string. Carefully lowered the fan and shroud down into position. With one hand held the fan in position by holding a blade(my fat hands) and put pressure inward on the nut. Then I used the other hand and slowly at first pulled straight up on the shoe string. It was just like spinning a top it; in about 3-5 seconds it was over half way threaded onto the bolt!!!

I can not tell you how much I had dreaded re-installing the fan/this has made it so so simple for me. Then I tighten with 32mm wrench then do the same thing(in reverse) to tighten the bolt.

I had to do this again about a week ago to swap my alternator--you can use a thin strap(once you loosen nut) and wrap it on the nut kind of like you would if you had a string on a piece of wood and you are trying to start a fire by twisting it. This saves the 30-50 times you have to pull 32mm wrench out and put back in to loosen with quarter turns.

I think with the tool to hold the nuts it will make it even easier process to tighten/loosen nut.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #251
obd2toolbox
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: BMW 7
You're welcome!
obd2toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #252
builder brad

just a quick question.

my car is a euro spec 330cd, with the clutch based fan and an electric AUX fan.

If I can easily relocate my electric AUX fan to sit behind the radiator and get it to pull air, rather than push it, will the operating profile and mechanical properties of the AUX fan be ok in this configuration? it does not look that different to the fan that is being recommended plus the 2nd hand ones that I can find are from cars that are older than mine.

cheers in advance.

anyone interested in me taking pics, and putting a DIY together, of my Front Mounted Intercooler upgrade and fan delete?

Brad
Old 12-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #253
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
I would assume that the front fan, on an automatic, would turn on at times that it as about to overheat. (IE, the clutch stopped working correctly... Freewheeling, etc.)

If you replace the clutch fan with an electric fan using that logic... The new electric fan would only come on at the preset temp saying the car was in overheat mode. Is this correct?

Can anyone shoot holes in that logic? (Please!) I'd like to upgrade but am unsure because of this.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #254
builder brad

Ok,

I could probably reconfigure the viscous fan shroud, so that my electric fan fits inside, but i dont think that there would be room to get everything behind the radiator, where the viscous fan used to sit.

I wonder if I will have the same problem using the recommended fan. Has anyone used the OEM electric fan 17117561757 in an E46 330d coupe? does it fit?

if I cannot get an answer to that question, I guess the next best thing will be to know the depth of the replacement fan module.

cheers in advance.

Brad
Old 01-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #255
mikeetastic

My Ride: 325i/323Ci
In my area there are lots of e46 parting out (mostly head gasket issue)... Can i try this mod by using other e46 or any bmw electric fan? Is it a bolt in processes? If so, what E46/BMW model im gonna look at?

i have a M/T 99 323i mech fan and removing it is really a PITA..

TIA.
mikeetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #256
Danoff

My Ride: '04 330i ZSP
Has anyone who has done this swap tracked their transmission operating temperature before and after the swap? It has only recently come to my attention that we could even get the transmission temperature via the computer.
Danoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #257
EDWAGON

My Ride: 2004 325xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danoff View Post
Has anyone who has done this swap tracked their transmission operating temperature before and after the swap? It has only recently come to my attention that we could even get the transmission temperature via the computer.
Great question
Old 02-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #258
Danoff

My Ride: '04 330i ZSP
I suppose if no one has done that we need two members with OBD readers to monitor transmission temperature during a drive on a day with similar weather - one with the electric fan and one with the mechanical fan. I'm willing to do it for the mechanical fan. I'll report back to this thread with values in the next couple of weeks.
Danoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #259
Andrew99328i

My Ride: 328i 99
Question: where can i get a(oem or not) fan regulator/module. Is there a solution that can receive the signal from te dme for my aftermarket fan?
Andrew99328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #260
Sansho
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Question: where can i get a(oem or not) fan regulator/module. Is there a solution that can receive the signal from te dme for my aftermarket fan?
Haven't seen a separate available part. Buy a used, maybe broken (for a non-control box reason) fan, and recover the control box.

As I recall, one of the tests the DME does when the car is started to ensure the fan is available. Not sure how an aftermarket fan fits in that test.

Tags
aux, auxiliary, behr, bosch, bumper, clutch, damage, electric, engine, explode, fan, hood, mechanical, mount, mounts, removal, swap