E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #61
Treburkulosis

My Ride: BMW
Just try hitting him. Stop denying this is the best answer
Treburkulosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #62
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
If he has the itch, it will never go away till he scratches it.
Instead of trying to deter him, educate him, steer him in the right direction, the direction of safety, trackdays, sensible street riding, starting on the right motorcycle, and getting proper training.

Last edited by Snik; 01-07-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #63
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treburkulosis View Post
Just try hitting him. Stop denying this is the best answer

It's never worked before, but maybe I wasn't trying hard enough.

Hmmm? Even better...I'll say something that will get my wife to hit me...get her out of the picture to aid and abet him in this pursuit.

...and Snik...and those who suggested proper safety...thank you. I hope I don't need it, but when there's no other way, that'll be the route. I hope it's really hot riding a bike in the summer wearing full protective gear!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #64
alwaysbored786

My Ride: Noble|M3|XJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
It's never worked before, but maybe I wasn't trying hard enough.

Hmmm? Even better...I'll say something that will get my wife to hit me...get her out of the picture to aid and abet him in this pursuit.

...and Snik...and those who suggested proper safety...thank you. I hope I don't need it, but when there's no other way, that'll be the route. I hope it's really hot riding a bike in the summer wearing full protective gear!
its extremely hot, and he will be sweating his balls off, but that heat is nothing compared to an injury obtained while driving.

But seriously, just break one of his legs, then he cant ride

*NO F-BOMBS IN SIGS*
How to refinish rims
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
I am proposing opening up a Paypal fund for OP. The funds will directly be used in purchasing a farm so that OP can grow some balls.

Last edited by alwaysbored786; 01-07-2013 at 08:58 PM.
alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #65
Treburkulosis

My Ride: BMW
Man up.

<---- has a hotrod kid to. All it takes is a little discipline.
Treburkulosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #66
Snik
OEM ///Member

Im telling you man, if he has the itch for real, either now or later, hes gonna scratch it, its an itch that i rarely see go away, BUT it could just be, a simple passing thought. See how long he keeps it up and how much he tries to defend it when you try to talk him out of it... If hes already doing that, he may have the itch.

MSF
leather gear
advanced riding schools
trackday

if he learns tho, he may very well stay off the streets, unlikely, but atleast he'll be a better rider for it.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #67
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
I'm sitting here at dinner with my son and I told him about this thread. I told him he shouldn't ride street bikes and he just shrugged and said "okay."
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #68
eee4666

My Ride: '02 325i / '07 600RR
Like Snik said, one track day and he'll find the street boring.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #69
Dirty Mike

My Ride: Fern Green 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ///M View Post
Give him the facts:

Motorcycles do not make you cool

They are no fun

Chicks don't like them
All of those are false. They are cool, they are fun, and chicks dig bikes. Eat my shorts!!
Dirty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #70
Snik
OEM ///Member

i dunno bout 1.. lol, maybe a few. i was still tearing u streets after my 1st few trackdays.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #71
Trashcan

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Somebody pulled out in front of me and i flipped over the handlebars, did a front flip, landing on my head/back (helmet saved me along with my backpack). Road rash wasn't nothing but i know i got lucky.

Thus only shows one arm and not my legs and is after 3 days of healing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1357615085336.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	485081   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1357615100975.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	485082   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1357615117438.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	485083  
Trashcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #72
NJ///M

My Ride: TACO TRUCK/CBR600F4
What gear did you have on?

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend; Those with loaded guns and those who dig."
NJ///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #73
Snik
OEM ///Member

^ EXACTLY, i can bet it wasnt anything made of leather.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #74
alwaysbored786

My Ride: Noble|M3|XJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ///M View Post
What gear did you have on?
id like to know this as well

*NO F-BOMBS IN SIGS*
How to refinish rims
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
I am proposing opening up a Paypal fund for OP. The funds will directly be used in purchasing a farm so that OP can grow some balls.
alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #75
zuckuss00

My Ride: K24Z7
Riding a motorcycle in California is a lot more dangerous than most other states for obvious reasons. Mostly because it is legal in this state to split lanes and riders love to do it. Berkeley is a bit safer because of the area and most people there do not have cars. However, it only takes one person to make a mistake and if your son has little riding experience, its not a good combination. A friend of mine was hit on his GSXR twice. Last time was by a lady in a mini van going less than 25 mph in a school zone. She T-boned him and luckily he walked away, but it was still enough to make him buy a car and ride less. Riding is fun and it nice to have a bike to save on gas and stuff. But its dangerous and you've got to be prepared for stuff to happen.

UUC Motorwerks | Vörsteiner | JLeviSW | VMR | DTM-Spec | Euro Dyne | ModBargains | EAS
zuckuss00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #76
roastbeef

My Ride: 325ci
the only way i would get a bike would be if it was an antique bike (slow) and i would only ride it on sundays when there is less traffic.

^ DD.
roastbeef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #77
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
I don't really see what the big deal is. Make sure he knows what's safe, and what's not and leave it at that. I wouldn't want to die never having owned a motorcycle (I do own one). It's just one of those things you need to do in life. Especially if you care about motor vehicles at all.

Also having a motorcycle at college would be boss. Girls love it and it gets good gas milage. Super easy to park. Cheap insurance. Cheap running costs. And it's Cali so perfect weather.

Rather than telling him no, educate him on being safe. Maybe buy him a little dirt bike or something that he can learn on.
Knowing how to ride a dirt bike has really saved me from some crap on the roads. It really drives into your brain instant reaction and muscle memory that can save your life. Just like driving, you need to be able to react before you even have the chance to think

Good luck with whatever you think is right.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #78
SHOoff11

My Ride: 2006 Honda Civic Si
Dmax, I'm 20 and a bunch of guys that I graduated high school with all bought bikes after they graduated. I see on Facebook all of the time that they have wrecked or one of their other rider friends have wrecked or been killed. Most kids my age and younger aren't mature enough to be riding, hell, much less driving a car. I see them posting pics from their gopros of them riding with no hands and doing other stupid s***. I've never had the desire to own a bike, but it's a thing people my age like I guess. Wish I could be of some help.

2006 Honda Civic Si Coupe Nighthawk Black Pearl/Black
1983 BMW 733i 5MT Schwarz/Cardinal

Sold: 1999 328i sedan Alpine White/Sand
SHOoff11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #79
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
I don't really see what the big deal is. Make sure he knows what's safe, and what's not and leave it at that. I wouldn't want to die never having owned a motorcycle (I do own one). It's just one of those things you need to do in life. Especially if you care about motor vehicles at all.

Also having a motorcycle at college would be boss. Girls love it and it gets good gas milage. Super easy to park. Cheap insurance. Cheap running costs. And it's Cali so perfect weather.

Rather than telling him no, educate him on being safe. Maybe buy him a little dirt bike or something that he can learn on.
Knowing how to ride a dirt bike has really saved me from some crap on the roads. It really drives into your brain instant reaction and muscle memory that can save your life. Just like driving, you need to be able to react before you even have the chance to think

Good luck with whatever you think is right.
The biggest deal is the other cars, Peyton, and the increased risk of serious injury/death. He's my son...that's the big deal.

Hmmm? Maybe I can convince him to strap my old leaf blower motor onto his Trek bike? That'd be a fun summer project!

I need to do what I can to keep him off bikes...nothing personal. Anyone know of creams or salves that give someone hemorrhoids? Griffin, back to you on your butt rape offer...you should know if there's a salve like that!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:11 PM   #80
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
What about my dirtbike comment? There is a lot of dirtbiking in the bay area whether you go to a local park or north into the national forest. It will satisfy his urge, teach him how to handle a motorcycle, and guess what - no cars. I think we can all agree that cars are the dangerous part.

Secondly, if he is absolutely 100% without a doubt going to get a bike, at least convince him not to get a sport bike. I don't care what anyone says about how "it's the rider, not the bike". If he gets a fast bike he WILL go fast. Slow bikes are actually more fun and at slower speeds the likelihood of a serious injury is less.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is online now   Reply With Quote