E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #81
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
+1 to kuksul. Op take a look at my post a few pgs back, might offer some viable alternatives
Old 01-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #82
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
What about my dirtbike comment? There is a lot of dirtbiking in the bay area whether you go to a local park or north into the national forest. It will satisfy his urge, teach him how to handle a motorcycle, and guess what - no cars. I think we can all agree that cars are the dangerous part.

Secondly, if he is absolutely 100% without a doubt going to get a bike, at least convince him not to get a sport bike. I don't care what anyone says about how "it's the rider, not the bike". If he gets a fast bike he WILL go fast. Slow bikes are actually more fun and at slower speeds the likelihood of a serious injury is less.
I liked your point a lot...only issue is he's a student, on the Ultimate Team, in a Frat, and won't use a dirt bike much around the area as a dirt bike...I'm sure it's fun, but I don't think he has the time...but I'll toss it out as a back up plan.

You guys have all been great and I really appreciate it. Even the trolling has been useful!

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #83
BRccKLYN

My Ride: Topaz 01 330ci
Actually I think a parents job consists of educating and guiding your children to make the best decisions possible rather than going the route of - I have to do everything possible for him to do what I feel is best.. as long as hes mature enough to understand the inherit risks that are associatedwith riding; what else could be done...
BRccKLYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #84
peytonracer4

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
The biggest deal is the other cars, Peyton, and the increased risk of serious injury/death. He's my son...that's the big deal.

Hmmm? Maybe I can convince him to strap my old leaf blower motor onto his Trek bike? That'd be a fun summer project!

I need to do what I can to keep him off bikes...nothing personal. Anyone know of creams or salves that give someone hemorrhoids? Griffin, back to you on your butt rape offer...you should know if there's a salve like that!
Not trying to devalue your sons life so don't take anything I say the wrong way. It's just one of those things that will happen at some point in his life he's a guy and its a motorcycle.
I personally got my bike at 16 and it was great. It's a fast bike too. I've never been down and I'm more than aware of the risks in daily traffic.
However I think you're better off guiding him to be safe than denying him and having him do it anyway.
Are you going to stop him from ever playing a sport? Do you know football players life expectancy is far less than the average person? Would you stop him playing ball? Would you stop him from getting under his car to work on it? Many have died from that task.
I understand 100% where you're coming from. And you're the dad, not me. But I really think you should let it happen and guide him to safety. You talk about riding as if its a death wish. It's not. Have you ever ridden before?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:24 PM   #85
zx5rider

My Ride: 03 M3 , 03 TT 330,
Send a message via AIM to zx5rider
I ride I love it abs so many people say they don't ride because it's dangerous but there is no amount of "danger" that would keep be from riding. Also I think if he wants one he will get one no matter what. The only thing I can think that willso him is maybe insurance prices. ... depending on the bike.

Sorry I didn't read the whole thread it is kind of annoying on my phone.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App

'03 330 Technique Tuning Stage 2 Turbo.
'03 M3 [Dinan axle back Muffler][BMW Performance Strut bar][Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser]
'11 BMW s1000rr Fully loaded Bone stock
zx5rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:28 PM   #86
peytonracer4

My Ride: '00 328i
I know you're set on him not getting one, and I'm set on trying to convince you otherwise but what exactly does he want one for? Canyon riding? Weekend time?
If those are true maybe I can recommend he get a supped up NA miata or an e30 convertible.
Either of these cars offer the thrill that a bike does as a decreased risk. Although both of those cars will need to be modded with suspension and bits that make them sound fast.
I speak from experience. My e30 doesn't quite offer the excitement and thrill that my motorcycle does. But the e30 comes very very close and it's a hell of a lot more comfortable to live with. Keep in mind, my e30 isn't stock so that's why I can compare it to a bike.
Maybe this helps.

Dirt bikes are only a good option if you don't care what he does in the future. Dirt bikes lead to road bikes no matter what. It's natural progression. He will also get hurt or break something on a dirt bike. Guaranteed

Last edited by peytonracer4; 01-07-2013 at 10:29 PM.
peytonracer4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #87
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I rode a scooter in St. Thomas. Does that count?

He's 18 and his own guy...but you know the brain doesn't fully form until 25 years old. My guiding him to safety is 'off' a bike. I used to rock climb, cave explore, lots of dangerous things...I'm not opposed to him doing dangerous stuff which can be done safely. Riding can be done safely, but rarely is it always done safely...and again, I'm not blaming the rider for doing anything more than riding around stupid people with cars. Peyton, also, far different out there or here with the density of traffic and thus increased density of stupid people.

I'm sticking with my plan until I have to go into backup mode--preaching safety, schools, etc.

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #88
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP

Allow me to imbue this thread with a dose of pathos.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #89
Chris M

My Ride: 2002 BMW 318 M
Dmax, I feel for you. I have two sons and I dreaded the years they were aged between 16 and 25. That is the period in a young man's life that he is most likely to come to grief as a result of something foolish he or one of his friends has done. What can I say? On the one hand a parent - fathers do this better than mothers, I think - has to stand aside and allow their child to learn by making mistakes. But when the risks are too high and the possible/probable consequences too severe, it is the parent's duty to step in, even at the risk of estranging a relative or temporarily messing up the relationship with the loved son (or daughter). As a trial lawyer who has done 40 years of, amongst others, personal injury cases, I can tell you that there are three types of injuries associated with motorcycle riding in the city: Severe head injury, spinal injury, and loss of limbs, especially the leg on the side of the impact. And it is seldom the motorcyclist's fault.

I have seen too many young men's lives ruined by motorcycle accidents to be comfortable with the notion of an uncle giving my son a motorcycle or helping him to acquire one. I have become so sensitive to the dangers facing young men that I have given both my sons 3-Series BMW's to drive. I know these cars are safe, they're reliable, and they're cool. Above all, they're classy, and the girls (at the age we're talking about), look twice at a man in a good car. Not that that is their sole criterion, but women - and bless them for it - will instinctively always go for the safe option, and a young man in a BMW 3-Series looks like a safe option. Far more so than a boy on a motorcycle.

I'm with you on this. I've always made it clear to my own sons that I want them to be safe and happy, but in that order.
Chris M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #90
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
Tell him to stay away from anything bigger than a 600, I just got back from a ride on a cbr1000rr.

One small twist of the wrist, next thing you know you are going almost 150. Takes serious self control on these things. It's hard to imagine a teenager in control of something so powerful where there's little margin for error and requiring you to be alert and in control.

Also to the above post stating girls will go to the BMW instead of the bike. I'll have to call bs. It's so easy to get a girl to ride with you it's not even funny, be it complete strangers or people you know, they are always asking for a ride. Yes The BMW attracts women, but not to the extent of a motorcycle. It's like driving a Lamborghini but with two wheels. You are definitely noticed more on a bike.

That said I'm still not entirely cool with bikes, and think only mature adults should own them only as a weekend toy, riding in traffic and daily is crazy IMO.

Last edited by Redline; 01-08-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:30 PM   #91
millerj69

My Ride: 04 M3 SMG
+100 to Chris's comment above! Well said.
millerj69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:42 PM   #92
Bemwe_03i

My Ride: 2003.5 E46 M3 smg IR
I recently passed that phase where i wanted a bike, parents hate it but i still got it. I took a safety course and it was good as i never had been on a bike. Started with a 500 then moved to a 750. Sold it last year, everyone is happy. Now i want to buy another one. They are really fun, just have to be really alert and stay away from cars. Always think ahead of what the guy in the car is gonna do next. If you cant convince him just make sure he takes the best motorcycle safety course and get him a 250 or 500cc max as first bike. And def. full gear $$$. Or just get him a high mileage m3 so he has to diy every weekend
Old 01-08-2013, 12:17 AM   #93
0mega9

My Ride: 330Xi
I must say it as well, motorcycles aren't dangerous...; Its the rider that controls the bike...
Just make sure that he knows what he is getting into...
Talk to him as a friend, one who would raise caution to mind and point out the facts and consequences of NOT responsible riding...

You ought to know, how responsible he is..., what plans he has for the future..., and what kind of driver he is on/in a car...

Again; don't be negative or trying to control him..., just make sure he knows all the aspects of riding and how different it is compared to driving a car as well as negotiating traffic...

If he wants to try thus movie moves himself, find him a course or a track that will teach him that...
Hopefully, he'll only use that on the appropriate tracks, not the open roads.

If I were you, I would make him pay for his insurance...

Good luck...
0mega9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:20 AM   #94
06E46M3
Banned User

My Ride: L;KL;KL;KL;LKL;;KLL
the more you tell him to stay off it, the more he'll want to get one
06E46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:32 AM   #95
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRZY BMW View Post
$100 per landing... Fortunately groups like AOPA got it to exclude prop planes for now, but it wont be long.
Wait, they've actually passed something on landing fees? It's gotta be only at the big airports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
Better than trying to keep your daughter off the pole
That's gotta be true.

Dmax, like Scott said earlier, you're funding him, you still hold the power... So he can have that motorcycle, if he wants to lose everything else. Those were the rules from my father and I never argued.

My father let me scratch the itch by going on the occasional ride with him in a pack out on highway 1 for safety's sake. But riding around berkeley and the east bay with a motorcycle? The place is already hell to drive around in a car, there is rarely more than a day that goes by where a car doesn't somehow magically flip over (in perfect weather mind you) on the 580. If he was up in rural north dakota where traffic is sparse, then yeah, it's not the end of the world. But he's only 18, coupled with a dangerous driving environment, there's no way in hell any part of that makes sense.

Easiest solution is to send in griffin.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:32 AM   #96
trentcdrums

My Ride: BMW 323i Sedan
Tell him insurance prices.

trentcdrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:41 AM   #97
5speed5er

My Ride: TreTreFive
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
I was told I would be totally cut off financially if I ever got a bike. I got a bike 4 months after I graduated and got a job. If you're helping him out at all then you still hold all the cards.
This.

My dad said the same thing.
5speed5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #98
CRZY BMW

My Ride: has wings & a prop
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post
Wait, they've actually passed something on landing fees? It's gotta be only at the big airports.
Its in the works... They talked about it at the aopa summit in palm springs in october. They successfully fought to get prop planes exempt but said that its only a matter of time. The faa director said they are going to need the money to fund nextgen. It would be any towered airport... So even us little deltas. He said the current adminstration is pushing hard for this... and they were waiting on the election results.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=309167&stc=1&d=1238667257

Last edited by CRZY BMW; 01-08-2013 at 12:51 AM.
CRZY BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:53 AM   #99
king kong

My Ride: mid-engine
pm sent, somethings are too personal to share in public
king kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:05 AM   #100
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRZY BMW View Post
Its in the works... They talked about it at the aopa summit in palm springs in october. They successfully fought to get prop planes exempt but said that its only a matter of time. The faa director said they are going to need the money to fund nextgen. It would be any towered airport... So even us little deltas. He said the current adminstration is pushing hard for this... and they were waiting on the election results.

Yeah, fvcking brilliant, as though the pilot shortage won't be bad enough, let's kill off one of the last lines of work people still come to this country for. Already they up the minimum hours, make it prohibitively expensive to do anything but get paid **** being a regional pilot, and now this. If they want to start designing systems that can integrate UAV traffic in with GA, then it should be coming out of the pockets of the UAV operators, not the common pilot, same with restructuring airline routes, why should anyone other than the airlines bear the costs affiliated with its implementation?

****'s got me livid.