E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
KeeganB

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Nest: Learning Thermostat

Just picked one if these up. I haven't installed it yet, we are closing on our new house end of this month so I'm just going to wait. Any one have one of these?

http://www.nest.com

Combine that with the Phillips HUE lighting system and you've got basic home automation at 1/25th the cost!
KeeganB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
It is an attractive thermostat, but what does it do that any other programmable thermostat does not do ?
Old 01-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
KeeganB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
It is an attractive thermostat, but what does it do that any other programmable thermostat does not do ?
from my research(limited), it does everything that other programmable thermostats do, but it LEARNS too. Meaning it is supposed to take a lot of the programming, planning, trial/error out of the setup. If you live an more spontaneous less scheduled lifestyle, you don't have to worry about programming your thermo for that b/c it will just learn and adjust accordingly. It uses a motion sensor to detect if you are home, and logs all that info and more. It also connects to (idk which) a weather server to monitor your local weather to automatically help you maximize your energy efficiency.

Either way it is gorgeous! Hal 9000 ?!?!

-Keegan

Last edited by KeeganB; 01-08-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeeganB View Post
from my research(limited), it does everything that other programmable thermostats do, but it LEARNS too. Meaning it is supposed to take a lot of the programming, planning, trial/error out of the setup. If you live an more spontaneous less scheduled lifestyle, you don't have to worry about programming your thermo for that b/c it will just learn and adjust accordingly. It uses a motion sensor to detect if you are home, and logs all that info and more. It also connects to (idk which) a weather server to monitor your local weather to automatically help you maximize your energy efficiency.

Either way it is gorgeous! Hal 9000 ?!?!

-Keegan
OK.

I saw the video but I didn't get that much from it. Interesting.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
I like several things about it:
-The looks and build quality of it. Very cool looking for a thermostat
-The "learning" capability so that it basically programs itself once it understands how you routinely adjust the thermostat, though I admittedly don't touch mine a whole lot.

Things I wouldn't use:
-Smartphone interface to adjust the temperature....I would never use this, though I know the capability will give some people a stiffy

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
Does it have apps?

If it can SIRI your voice commands & respond with voice confirmations, plus integrate with other major home appliances - water heater, dishwasher, home alarm etc. That would be something.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
KeeganB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmersGarage View Post
Does it have apps?

If it can SIRI your voice commands & respond with voice confirmations, plus integrate with other major home appliances - water heater, dishwasher, home alarm etc. That would be something.
It does have an iOS app, and a web portal.
the SIRI integration would have to be via an API that Apple would have to allow the NEST developers to use.
The stuff you are asking about with the other appliances is called Home Automation, and no, this thermostat is only a thermostat. True home automation runs in the $10k and up range usually.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
^
Just taking a jab at Nest..

However, since it does have Wifi.. All you need really is a Raspberry Pi board $57 and compile your own code to control Nest or any other home appliances, in this case garage door opener via SIRI.

Last edited by BimmersGarage; 01-09-2013 at 09:46 AM.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:50 PM   #9
Mouf

My Ride: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Just purchased my first home and this is one of my first purchases...
Mouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
I was very interested in one but heard there are some serious glitch issues that can occur in the event of (and as a result of) a power outage. Some customers complained of the heater and central air both on at full blast in a fight to control temps.

Waiting for version 3.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.

Last edited by joeski3d; 06-23-2013 at 11:12 AM.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #11
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
I was very interested in one but heard there are some serious glitch issues that can occur in the event of (and as a result of) a power outage. Some customers complained of the heater and central air both on at full blast in a fight to control temps.

Waiting for version 3.
Yes, V3 sounds like it is the one to have.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #12
Tb151

My Ride: 2008 Range Rover FF
Send a message via AIM to Tb151
Have em and love em....I actually use the mobile app quite often. We were away this weekend and yesterday is was over 90 degrees. It was awesome being able to turn the AC on an hour before we got home so that the house was nice and cool.

Tb151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #13
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
What I read which caused me to not consider this product...

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2RPGVN...R2RPGVN5XJVFA5

I received and installed my second-gen Nest thermostat about three weeks ago and was initially very happy with it. Simple to install, beautiful, easy to use, it is certainly all that. Unfortunately, it lacks one characteristic that a thermostat MUST have. It is not robust. It fails under circumstances that a $50 hardware store thermostat would have no problems with, and when it fails it DOES NOT FAIL SAFE - which is a pretty major problem when you're talking about a device that is controlling expensive heat and cooling (and, in a cold climate, keeping your pipes from freezing!)

I was pretty surprised to come home today to a sweltering-hot apartment when the outside temperature was in the mid-to-high sixties. It's a brand-new apartment, very well insulated, and initially I simply thought that all the sun streaming through the skylights and windows was responsible for the high temperature. The Nest indicated that it was 86 degrees inside and of course, with a set point of 50 degrees, it was obviously not heating. (Right?) I set the temperature to 75 and switched it to cooling mode. Cool air started streaming from the AC vents - great. Should cool down in a little while. (Right?) After thirty minutes with the AC on, I was if anything more uncomfortable, so I went over to the Nest again - imagine my surprise when I saw that the inside temperature had gone up to 89 degrees! At this point I knew something was very wrong. It took only a few seconds to determine that the Nest had my heating on full bore - even while the AC was cooling. No wonder the place was sweltering! I called Nest and after a very short debugging session (the customer service agent had obviously seen this many, many times before) he determined that the Nest had failed in such a way that the heating was stuck on, full-time.

The rep informed me that this was a known issue that Nest's engineers were trying to solve. Apparently the Nest, unlike a cheap hardware store thermostat, is extremely sensitive to voltage "spikes" on the wires that connect it to your HVAC. Such spikes are pretty much par for the course in an HVAC environment - those wires are connected to electromechanical relays, transformers, and other old-school electrical gear - and regular thermostats are designed to deal with it, which is why you don't have problems with your cheap Honeywell. (The one I replaced with the Nest had been doing its job happily for the better part of a decade.) But this electrical "noise" can make the Nest fail - and fail spectacularly, typically by leaving the heat (or cooling) on full time, or else keeping them from coming on. Any of those failure modes could get pretty expensive if you happened to be away when they happen - you could burn through a lot of fuel and/or use a lot of electricity, and in the worst case scenario your pipes could freeze and flood your house. Nest knows this, so they are no longer replacing thermostats that fail this way (since their hardware is flawed, any replacement is just going to fail again, and the next time it could be a lot worse). Of course, they won't tell you this in so many words: the company line is that your system (because it exhibits voltage spikes) is "incompatible" with the Nest. Never mind that it is a bog-standard HVAC setup, passed their compatibility test with no issues, and has worked fine for a couple of weeks). Never mind that it works fine with a garden-variety hardware-store thermostat. Naturally Nest doesn't want to admit that their fancy hardware is seriously flawed in its inability to handle the kind of electrical noise that is found on ordinary HVAC control lines, but make no mistake about it: the fault isn't in your system. It's in their thermostat, which isn't designed to handle real-world conditions.

This isn't just a matter of semantics. The problem is that, if you purchased your thermostat from Amazon, Nest wants you to return it to Amazon (not to them). They are explicitly disclaiming any responsibility under their warranty - since it's your HVAC system that's "incompatible," not their thermostat that is broken. Presumably if the thermostat fails outside of Amazon's 30-day return window you're out of luck. At least the Nest would make a nice paperweight. This is the part that really shocked me and made me feel that the company must be getting a bit desperate. Reading the online forums, I can see that this is a pretty common problem, and I suspect that Nest financially can't handle the number of returns it would have to handle if it treated this as a warranty issue. Fortunately, my Nest is only 3 weeks old, so I can return it to Amazon, but I really hate to have to do that - it seems like an abuse of Amazon's generous return policy, when it's really Nest that should be facing up to their problem. I feel very sorry for those whose devices fail, excuse me, prove to be "incompatible" outside of the return window. At least I kept my old thermostat rather than recycling it as Nest suggests I do!

Nest has a serious engineering problem on their hands and I believe they are scrambling to do something about it before it all comes crashing down. (The rep offered to put me on a mailing list to be informed when their engineers fix the issue, presumably so that, I can court disaster again by buying the next version.) They've had a lot of really great press (not undeserved, because their device *is* really nice, when it works) but that can only carry them so far - if the news gets out that their $250 thermostat could leave you overheated or flood your house, they're going to lose that momentum. So it's not surprising that they're trying to frame this as "merely" a compatibility issue. But if I had a Nest at this point, even if it seemed to be working OK, I would still be really, really nervous about it, for two reasons: (1) the device is not robust to typical levels of electrical noise; a voltage spike could happen on any system at any time, possibly breaking the Nest and subjecting to you God-knows-what financial loss, and (2) it's not clear that the company would stand behind their product if that did happen.

Advice: stay far, far away from this product.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #14
zbeam3

My Ride: VQ35
For the non coders out there, how would one set this up? I would be very interested in a garage door opener as well as a smart phone controllable thermostat. I am holding off on the Nest for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmersGarage View Post
^
Just taking a jab at Nest..

However, since it does have Wifi.. All you need really is a Raspberry Pi board $57 and compile your own code to control Nest or any other home appliances, in this case garage door opener via SIRI.

Last edited by zbeam3; 06-25-2013 at 10:15 AM.
zbeam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #15
WerksM3

My Ride: 2002 M3
I've had one since December. It has worked great the whole time with no issues. It's great being able to preheat / precool the house before getting home. I just wish my home had multiple zones so I could have one upstairs and one on the main level.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #16
Wreckless

My Ride: E60 528xi
Quote:
What I read which caused me to not consider this product...

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2RPGVN...R2RPGVN5XJVFA5

Advice: stay far, far away from this product.

Wow, That's def a good reason to stay away from that thing. Glad I didn't buy one when it first came out. I guess I'll wait for 2.0, or maybe even 3.0
Old 06-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #17
Mouf

My Ride: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbeam3 View Post
For the non coders out there, how would one set this up? I would be very interested in a garage door opener as well as a smart phone controllable thermostat. I am holding off on the Nest for now.
kind of off topic, but Craftsman has a new line of garage door openers that does that. Haven't checked for any reviews yet though.

http://www.craftsman.com/garage-door...20000000180763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckless View Post
Wow, That's def a good reason to stay away from that thing. Glad I didn't buy one when it first came out. I guess I'll wait for 2.0, or maybe even 3.0
Version 2 is out now, that is the unit that was reviewed. If you read some of the comments after the post it sounds like the main issue is with 2 stage systems, not the single stage systems. I could also be reading it wrong too.

Last edited by Mouf; 06-25-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Mouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #18
KeeganB

Nest: Learning Thermostat

Quote:

Waiting for version 3.
We recently had a power outage and the nest was set in the both "heat and cool" mode and when power was lost it just gave a "power outage" status message. When power was restored in the middle if the morning while we slept it resumed working perfectly.

Either way after about 6 months I am still in love with it. I live in upstate SC so we get some heat, but very very mild winters.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #19
Cowspoo

My Ride: 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by WerksM3 View Post
I've had one since December. It has worked great the whole time with no issues. It's great being able to preheat / precool the house before getting home. I just wish my home had multiple zones so I could have one upstairs and one on the main level.
How would you set this up? Two furnaces - A/c's ? With their own separate vents. Would cold air/warm air be interfering causing balancing issues
Old 10-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #20
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowspoo View Post
How would you set this up? Two furnaces - A/c's ? With their own separate vents. Would cold air/warm air be interfering causing balancing issues
I'd love to be able to set up a system like this in our house. We have a tri-level, and all three floors are generally vastly different temperatures. The thermostat is upstairs, so that's usually the most comfortable floor in the house. Winter time is the worst. The basement is usually OK, especially with the fireplace. The main floor is freezing, and the upper floor is comfortable, since that's where the thermostat is detecting.