E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
Ntrb8s4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 54
My Ride: X5 / B8 S4
Hello e46 m3....

Just wanted to say hello! I'm new to the e46 m3 and after having this car for a few days I really have to say its awesome! What a huge difference between my s4. This car handles like a real sports car. From all that I've been reading on here that there's not much to do performance wise on these cars. I like this car a lot but I feel like its missing something(power wise). I think the first buy I need to make is a set of staggered 19".
Ntrb8s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
scca_ziptie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 404
My Ride: 2006 M3 SMG Comp pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntrb8s4 View Post
Just wanted to say hello! I'm new to the e46 m3 and after having this car for a few days I really have to say its awesome! What a huge difference between my s4. This car handles like a real sports car. From all that I've been reading on here that there's not much to do performance wise on these cars. I like this car a lot but I feel like its missing something(power wise). I think the first buy I need to make is a set of staggered 19".
Welcome and congrats on the car. In terms of performance, the 19's won't make any kind of real noticeable difference - but they'll more than likely look good. 3 things to do first on the car to improve performance: differential (diffsonline), flywheel (lighter and singlemass), and an ecu tune (like from ESS). Exhaust and intake doesn't really make a huge power gain (typically) but you will hear a difference so it may feel to you like you got more than you actually did.

Congrats again, learn to utilize the search feature on this forum as it will become your friend for DIY and other things (lots of good info).


Don
__________________
"! First rule of Italian driving, that which is in your mirror is not important !"

Last edited by scca_ziptie; 01-08-2013 at 10:13 AM.
scca_ziptie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
Ntrb8s4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 54
My Ride: X5 / B8 S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by scca_ziptie View Post
Welcome and congrats on the car. In terms of performance, the 19's won't make any kind of real noticeable difference - but they'll more than likely look good. 3 things to do first on the car to improve performance: differential (diffsonline), flywheel (lighter and singlemass), and an ecu tune (like from ESS). Exhaust and intake doesn't really make a huge power gain (typically) but you will hear a difference so it may feel to you like you got more than you actually did.

Congrats again, learn to utilize the search feature on this forum as it will become your friend for DIY and other things (lots of good info).


Don
Thanks for the info on the tune. That maybe one of the first performance mods for me!
Ntrb8s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
scca_ziptie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 404
My Ride: 2006 M3 SMG Comp pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntrb8s4 View Post
Thanks for the info on the tune. That maybe one of the first performance mods for me!
It's like $700 from ESS and you are able to remove the speed limiter, tune for 91 octane US grade fuel and change the rev limiter (you must specify as they will leave it at 8200 if you don't tell them otherwise). I personally wouldn't go higher than 8500 but they will take it as high as 9000 if you chose to do so. They say approx 10 hp gains with the tune.
__________________
"! First rule of Italian driving, that which is in your mirror is not important !"
scca_ziptie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
Ntrb8s4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 54
My Ride: X5 / B8 S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by scca_ziptie View Post
It's like $700 from ESS and you are able to remove the speed limiter, tune for 91 octane US grade fuel and change the rev limiter (you must specify as they will leave it at 8200 if you don't tell them otherwise). I personally wouldn't go higher than 8500 but they will take it as high as 9000 if you chose to do so. They say approx 10 hp gains with the tune.
Yeah, I don't think I'd want to go higher that 8500. $700 is pretty high for 10hp! This is a lot different to get horse power out out of.
Ntrb8s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
scca_ziptie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 404
My Ride: 2006 M3 SMG Comp pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntrb8s4 View Post
Yeah, I don't think I'd want to go higher that 8500. $700 is pretty high for 10hp! This is a lot different to get horse power out out of.
Ya, BMW did a pretty bang up job with this engine. The drive-ability and throttle response are improved along with that tune for sure, they also say that the fuel economy is slightly improved although I have not really been able to personally verify this aspect. They say "10-15" hp gains are to be had, but I always go on the low side of what a company says the gain is.... Naturally aspirated engines are not nearly as easy to increase power output compared to turbo/supercharged platforms. That being said, you can certainly aspirate the S54 but the cost is definitely not in the same solar system....
__________________
"! First rule of Italian driving, that which is in your mirror is not important !"
scca_ziptie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use