E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #101
First///M3

My Ride: 2003 ///M3 SMG
amazing to drive the smg in daily driver situations.. and when i go to the track or even hwy pulls.. there's never a moment u feel like ur not in a 6spd car.. u can adjust how fast the shift takes place which in daily just going to work situations is amazing.. and turn all the traction "sports mode" and u get the benefit of having another level to upgrade to.. ohhh man.... EVERYYYYYY NICEEEE!!!

-Daily Driver, -Nightly racer!

2003 M3 SMG

Carbon Black 19" OEMs
5% Tint all around "so u cant see up in my windows" TopSpeed Pro-1 Exhaust
First///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:19 PM   #102
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-LowBlow View Post
Hi everyone,
Let me please ask one question to you guys. I had an opportunity to drive an SMG M3 the other day. His was '04 and mine is '06, but it felt like his smg shift a bit quicker even the mode that i use was the same (S4). He said that he had to replace the smg pump about a year and half ago, do you guys think this could be the factor that the smg shift a little faster? Is there any other factors that make the difference for the shifting speed with the same mode? (S4 vs S4, or S5 vs S5)

Thanks in advance.
I'm going to guess that he has an older SMG software because his car is 3 years older. The older software a shift faster and more aggressive. BMW started coming out with updates that slowed down gear changes to not put so much wear on the cars. But yes maybe his newer pump made a difference. Not too sure. If you want faster changes get the CSL software. It shifts faster and raises the launch control. You can also get the Euro software that has higher launch control but shifts will be the same. Hope this helps.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:46 PM   #103
ANREC330

My Ride: C6 Vette & M3
Quote:
Hi everyone,
Let me please ask one question to you guys. I had an opportunity to drive an SMG M3 the other day. His was '04 and mine is '06, but it felt like his smg shift a bit quicker even the mode that i use was the same (S4). He said that he had to replace the smg pump about a year and half ago, do you guys think this could be the factor that the smg shift a little faster? Is there any other factors that make the difference for the shifting speed with the same mode? (S4 vs S4, or S5 vs S5)

Thanks in advance.
Reset the smg in both cars and try again. He probably drives it harder than you.
ANREC330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #104
Hi-LowBlow

My Ride: 2006 M3 SMG
Thanks guys for the input. Okay, maybe the software is different as mine is newer by 3yrs. If that is the case, i want the older software as it wasn't harsh at all. (it was with S4) I know we can't go back to the older one though.

So if i drive it harder, it will shift a bit faster as it learns how i drive after a while? Actually you are right as i don't drive so hard but he does. This is very interesting...
Hi-LowBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #105
scca_ziptie

My Ride: 2006 M3 SMG Comp pkg
Quote:
as it learns how i drive after a while?
Yes, the car learns how you drive. This is why the reset is vital when purchasing a used smg car.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #106
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Thanks guys for the input. Okay, maybe the software is different as mine is newer by 3yrs. If that is the case, i want the older software as it wasn't harsh at all. (it was with S4) I know we can't go back to the older one though.

So if i drive it harder, it will shift a bit faster as it learns how i drive after a while? Actually you are right as i don't drive so hard but he does. This is very interesting...
Both the throttle and SMG have adaptations.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #107
Hi-LowBlow

okay thanks again guys. So the adaptation for the SMG will also change the shifting speed accordingly? I knew the car learns how i drive, but i didn't know it will also affect to shifting speed.
Thanks again!
Old 01-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #108
scca_ziptie

My Ride: 2006 M3 SMG Comp pkg
Quote:
okay thanks again guys. So the adaptation for the SMG will also change the shifting speed accordingly? I knew the car learns how i drive, but i didn't know it will also affect to shifting speed.
Thanks again!
Shifting speed is primarily influenced by the setting you select with the SMG (setting 1 being very slow setting 6 being brutal fast). These should really be adjusted to suit current driving conditions.. i.e. setting 2/3 used for in town commuting/speeds, setting 4/5 for hwy driving/speeds. Just keep adjusting it as your driving conditions change and you will fully get the hang of it after awhile - once you do the experience will be very rewarding.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #109
Hi-LowBlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by scca_ziptie View Post
Shifting speed is primarily influenced by the setting you select with the SMG (setting 1 being very slow setting 6 being brutal fast). These should really be adjusted to suit current driving conditions.. i.e. setting 2/3 used for in town commuting/speeds, setting 4/5 for hwy driving/speeds. Just keep adjusting it as your driving conditions change and you will fully get the hang of it after awhile - once you do the experience will be very rewarding.
Okay, thank you.
I like the SMG, but there is much i need to learn more. LOL

Anybody has solid solution for the judder from standstil? I see many threads about this problem but can't find one solid solution.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #110
Roux28

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by illestminimike View Post
I'm going to guess that he has an older SMG software because his car is 3 years older. The older software a shift faster and more aggressive. BMW started coming out with updates that slowed down gear changes to not put so much wear on the cars. But yes maybe his newer pump made a difference. Not too sure. If you want faster changes get the CSL software. It shifts faster and raises the launch control. You can also get the Euro software that has higher launch control but shifts will be the same. Hope this helps.
Speaking of which, I'm having a hard time finding this software. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #111
Firstboost

My Ride: 2006 Tiag ZCP
Quote:
Anybody has solid solution for the judder from standstil? I see many threads about this problem but can't find one solid solution.
Be heavier on your throttle when starting from a standstill. ALSO, just press it and keep it where you put your foot, don't keep giving it more throttle incrimentally as you start going. I noticed this seems to confuse the SMG... at least mine.

Change your shift speeds around a little bit. I like to use S4 and S5 and when I have the stuttering issue, I'll use the other one which helps for a little bit.

Once I got the CSL SMG program done, it went away almost completely.

This was one of my big gripes with SMG so I found a few ways around it that seem to help.
Firstboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #112
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roux28 View Post
Speaking of which, I'm having a hard time finding this software. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place.
It needs to be coded. Anyone with GT1, INPA, etc. can do it for you. Most indy shops can as well.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #113
Hi-LowBlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstboost View Post
Be heavier on your throttle when starting from a standstill. ALSO, just press it and keep it where you put your foot, don't keep giving it more throttle incrimentally as you start going. I noticed this seems to confuse the SMG... at least mine.

Change your shift speeds around a little bit. I like to use S4 and S5 and when I have the stuttering issue, I'll use the other one which helps for a little bit.

Once I got the CSL SMG program done, it went away almost completely.

This was one of my big gripes with SMG so I found a few ways around it that seem to help.
Thank you for the tips. i really appreciate that.
Actually changing shift speeds around makes sense to me as it made it better when i changed it from S5 to S4. I thought the slower shift helped but after a couple of days later, i felt the judder again. Maybe i should go back to S5 again so it might help. lol

So, i searched online and found some say that it's the clutch, other says it's the DFW (dualmass flywheel) but i really couldn't find any solid solution as a result. I personally don't think it's the clutch as it doesn't show any clutch slip or anything. It just makes horrible judder at the standstill (w/1st or 2nd gear) but sometimes it will go away. Very weird symptoms.

I was about replacing shocks but i wonder if i should do the clutch first instead. (i can't afford both at a time...)

Thanks again guys!
Old 01-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #114
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Good indy that can do the teach in's for SMG. That's where I would start.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #115
Roux28

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by illestminimike View Post
It needs to be coded. Anyone with GT1, INPA, etc. can do it for you. Most indy shops can as well.

Great. Thanks
Old 01-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #116
m3e46freak

My Ride: e46/bike/Airplane?
I have driven the 6spd/smg/dct and to be honest, the only good reason behind the SMG/DCT is that I can relax and drive while getting a BJ or drinking a beverage and not having to worry about shifting and city traffic.

2004 JB / Cinnamon SMG - NAV - Heated Seats
Sonic Tuning Spacers 15mm
Alcantara Wheel/Boot/Pillars
BMC filter
Carbon Fiber: Doors/Seat Back/Trim/Paddles
Scorza muffler
CSL Bumper/Trunk
ST Coilovers

m3e46freak@yahoo.com for outside contacting
m3e46freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #117
liridonM3

My Ride: 2003 BMW E46 M3 SMG
When you go to get your car oil changed or detalied and they dont know what thier doing. Or when you let a friend drive it.
liridonM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #118
lsintampa

My Ride: 2005 330 CI / SMG
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by scca_ziptie View Post
Paddle shifters are quicker shifting than manual, which is nice.
No chance of over rev if you click down too many times, which is nice.
Don't have to operate a clutch pedal in stop and go traffic, which is nice.
Clutch lasts longer than a manual (most of the time), which is nice.
Launch control, which is nice.
Hill assist, which is nice.
Very rewarding once you get used to driving the SMG, which is nice.
The look on people's face(s) when they see paddle shifters, which is nice.
Able to brace yourself more consistently at track days, which is nice.
Able to adjust the ferocity of the clutch actuation, which is nice.
You don't wear out your left shoe sole from operating clutch, which is nice.

What movie is the quote, "which is nice" from?
Sorry for being late on this thread - just got my SMG (05) so I'm still "adjusting".

But the answer to your question is "Caddy Shack" - which is nice.
lsintampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #119
AlpineKnight

My Ride: AW E46 M3
Two words that resonate when thinking about why I actually love my SMG.. DOWN SHIFTS
They're so crisp. I can't wait to get myself a new exhaust to get the full effect.
AlpineKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #120
AlpineKnight

My Ride: AW E46 M3
Two words that resonate when thinking about why I actually love my SMG.. DOWN SHIFTS
They're so crisp. I can't wait to get myself a new exhaust to get the full effect.
AlpineKnight is offline   Reply With Quote