E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
Teddy7

My Ride: slides
5 speed swap in the works

I am in the process of picking up a 5 speed complete swap kit from a 2000 323 convertible to put in my 325i. The kit has 130k and includes everything except a shift nob. This is: driveshaft, trans, clutch, flywheel, pedal assembly, clutch assembly, every nut and bolt. My auto trans is fine at the moment, but my plans are to have this trans sitting and ready to go whenever the auto decides to finally give out. It's my ultimate preventative maintenance investment thus far . I'll be replacing the trans mount bushings, guibo, and CSB, clutch, flywheel (what else? keep reading >). I just want some advice and guidance in certain areas. I am well versed on the mechanical aspects of the swap (although I would like more info on how to replace the clutch/flywheel), but still a little unclear about the electrical components. I am coming from a GM auto trans (which I heard is easier?) something about being able to jump pins? Would I be able to theoretically turn on my car and drive around with no reprogramming? Also which specific parts are good to get for the shift linkage? I know this last question is heavily opinionated, but which clutch/flywheel combo do you recommend? At this point in time, I am looking at going with the F1 Gripforce Stage II clutch/flywheel combo. Please post your combos with your personal opinions regarding your replacements. I.e. Durability, Quality, Feel, Noise, Recommendations, etc.

Last edited by Teddy7; 01-07-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Teddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
cposk

My Ride: 08' E90 M3
Teddy, I recently completed an auto to manual swap (well haven't coded it yet). I'm not sure about jumping pins on the trans connector. The correct way to wire it is found in Neil's thread, I used it to do most of my swap. If you wire it this way, the car will start right up when the clutch is in. RealOEM is crucial too.

Neil's Thread (great guide)
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=659314

My Thread (more of progress than guide)
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=914098

Last edited by cposk; 01-07-2013 at 01:53 PM.
cposk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
neil1138

You can make a jumper between the pins of the automatic wiring harness (body side). That wiring procedure (improper), is outlined later in my thread as well as the proper wiring method.

cposk linked it.
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
Teddy7

Thanks for the info, both of you. Neil should the trans out of the 323 work just fine for that (improper) procedure on my 325? Will the car drive around just fine like that or just turn on?

Last edited by Teddy7; 01-08-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Teddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
trive2

My Ride: 1989 BMW 535i
Why not do it now, that way you'll get some $$$ for your autobox.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #6
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Is it possible to do a 6 speed swap into your car? If I had an auto and wanted to swap for a manual, my first desire would be a 6 speed.

The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #7
Teddy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by trive2 View Post
Why not do it now, that way you'll get some $$$ for your autobox.
Ive thought about it.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
Teddy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
Is it possible to do a 6 speed swap into your car? If I had an auto and wanted to swap for a manual, my first desire would be a 6 speed.
6 speed swap is significantly more in costs MOST if not all of the time.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
rapnel

My Ride: e34,e39,e46
clutch

"I know this last question is heavily opinionated, but which clutch/flywheel combo do you recommend? At this point in time, I am looking at going with the F1 Gripforce Stage II clutch/flywheel combo. Please post your combos with your personal opinions regarding your replacements. I.e. Durability, Quality, Feel, Noise, Recommendations, etc."

I recently took the dip into the F1 Stage 2 kit on my e39. Getting off the DMF flywheel stock on my car was a good move. That being said I'm at 10k and have realized total failure of the clutch. Their customer server overall (based on initial acquisition and early back and forth experience) was sub-par at best. And I'm still waiting to hear back from them about what I can throw at this flywheel that is *not* gripforce. Background thread here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...3#post25716643.

The clutch was definitely fun while it lasted and I know other folks have had better experience with it but ... I didn't and now I'm down large._nr_
rapnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #10
trive2

My Ride: 1989 BMW 535i
Yup, the transmission will cost you three times as much for the extra gear :S Much stronger gearbox, but who needs it unless they're blowing 300+ HP.

And the extra gear is just an extra overdrive, as far as I know 1-5 are identical, so it's not any quicker, just more economical.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #11
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Teddy - I'm not sure of the model year of your car but if the automatic you are removing is a ZF transmission your only recourse for wiring is to wire it from the body side (proper). The ZF uses two wiring connectors and uses a logic matrix to determine park and neutral, more difficult than just wiring it correctly.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #12
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by trive2 View Post
Yup, the transmission will cost you three times as much for the extra gear :S Much stronger gearbox, but who needs it unless they're blowing 300+ HP.

And the extra gear is just an extra overdrive, as far as I know 1-5 are identical, so it's not any quicker, just more economical.
Gear Ratios - 323i
  1. 4.23
  2. 2.52
  3. 1.66
  4. 1.22
  5. 1.00

Gear Ratios - 330i 6-spd
  1. 4.35
  2. 2.5
  3. 1.66
  4. 1.23
  5. 1.00
  6. 0.85

Not a lot of difference, and basically an overdrive.

Other notable differences are that 5-speed has a TSB for the shift forks that should (must) be performed and I think Neil covered that in his diy.

A negative of owning the 6-speed (non-m) is a serious lack of available aftermarket flywheel/clutch combinations by comparison to the 5-speed. The clutch discs are both 240mm but the input shaft splines are much different.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #13
Teddy7

Okay so if the trans is coming from a 5 speed 2000 323 convertible for my 2003 325i sedan with a gm step trans. Will this swap be easier or harder compared to a trans from another donor car or is this somewhat of the best option for the swap?
Old 01-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #14
Teddy7

Anybody?
Old 01-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #15
driveway 2.0

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Im getting ready to swap mine as well.. My 328ci was destroyed in a collision so I am using it as a donor for my 01 325i. I plan on doing mine next month.
Glad I found this thread..

Are you swapping diff as well? I was going to and actually already rebuilt the 2.93 out of the 328ci, but the 325 has a 3.46, so I might just leave it. Kind of a bonus mod out of the deal

Last edited by driveway 2.0; 01-16-2013 at 07:45 PM.
driveway 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:50 AM   #16
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumCranium View Post
Gear Ratios - 323i
  1. 4.23
  2. 2.52
  3. 1.66
  4. 1.22
  5. 1.00

Gear Ratios - 330i 6-spd
  1. 4.35
  2. 2.5
  3. 1.66
  4. 1.23
  5. 1.00
  6. 0.85

Not a lot of difference, and basically an overdrive.

Other notable differences are that 5-speed has a TSB for the shift forks that should (must) be performed and I think Neil covered that in his diy.

A negative of owning the 6-speed (non-m) is a serious lack of available aftermarket flywheel/clutch combinations by comparison to the 5-speed. The clutch discs are both 240mm but the input shaft splines are much different.
In theory any z4m clutch should work. Don't quote me on that though
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #17
Teddy7

Quote:
Im getting ready to swap mine as well.. My 328ci was destroyed in a collision so I am using it as a donor for my 01 325i. I plan on doing mine next month.
Glad I found this thread..

Are you swapping diff as well? I was going to and actually already rebuilt the 2.93 out of the 328ci, but the 325 has a 3.46, so I might just leave it. Kind of a bonus mod out of the deal
^this^ I am definitely going to keep my 3.46 diff. This will set my 325i apart (slightly) from other manual counterparts.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #18
Teddy7

Also still looking for input on the wiring aspects of the swap. The automatic being removed is a GM and I'm assuming the 2000 323 manual will be ZF. Can somebody tell me what I should expect to run into?
Old 01-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #19
cposk

My Ride: 08' E90 M3
Wiring directions are in Neil's thread... I haven't done reverse lights yet, but the directions are there also.

This is for the clutch switches. I had an issue with getting my wiring connector to click into the EWS. Once I fixed it, the car fired right up.

Clutch Switch:

Pin 1 - Goes to Ground (At Brake Light Switch)
Pin 2 - Goes to the DME connection at A60004 pin 23
Pin 3 - Goes to 12v+ (At Brake Light Switch)

It's connected in parallel to the Clutch Switch Module which is mounted on the side of the clutch master cylinder.

Clutch Switch Module:

Pin 4 - Goes to EWS Pinout #8
Old 01-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #20
Teddy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cposk View Post
Wiring directions are in Neil's thread... I haven't done reverse lights yet, but the directions are there also.

This is for the clutch switches. I had an issue with getting my wiring connector to click into the EWS. Once I fixed it, the car fired right up.

Clutch Switch:

It's connected in parallel to the Clutch Switch Module which is mounted on the side of the clutch master cylinder.

Clutch Switch Module:

Pin 4 - Goes to EWS Pinout #8
^this is such great info, but I can tell this is where my swap is going to get annoying.