E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #21
secono330ci

My Ride: 04' 330ci & 99' 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
Is this a joke? Wheel lift can be a sign of too much sway bar. The Hotchkis increased my last ZHPs wheel lifting tendencies.
What suspension are you running?
secono330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #22
serdar255

My Ride: '01 325ci / '90 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
Which one? Doesn't Bavauto sell several? And you should either buy upgraded endlinks or fresh Lemfoerder endlinks with bigger sways.

Do you have aftermarket sways?

I had Hotchkis, wouldn't do it again. They certainly give the car a more buttoned down feel, but they don't improve grip as much as you initially feel like they do. Also the endlinks wouldn't stay tight until I double nutted them with red loctite.

I have a 25/20 setup now from the Z4 M-Sport front/E46 convertible/Xi rear, all OEM parts, and it's a nice upgrade and I have no complaints.

Hotchkis bars are hollow- so 30mm isn't what you think it is. For the most part I do agree though.
Turner Motorsport, they certainly increased grip and reduced under steer.

For coding, custom shift knobs, and vinyl stickers: PM me
serdar255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #23
KrasivataSabine

My Ride: 323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by serdar255 View Post
Turner Motorsport, they certainly increased grip and reduced under steer.
Stiffer sway bars do NOT increase grip. They actually increase weight transfer to the outside wheels which reduces max grip.

Their benefits are 1) reducing body motion for better repsonsiveness/communication from the chassis (this is an important characteristic for me so I went with the Hotchkis set) and 2) adjustable sways can help drivers dial in over/understeer by controlling weight transfer on each axle. Stiffer bars=more weight transfer=less grip on axle in question.

#BattleBimmer #323RS

Last edited by KrasivataSabine; 01-08-2013 at 10:28 PM.
KrasivataSabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #24
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by secono330ci View Post
What suspension are you running?
First ZHP: Koni Yellows, Eibach Pro Kit springs, Hotchkis sway bars & endlinks front + rear, and Powerflex RTABs.

This one: PF RTABs, Koni Yellows, stock springs & 25mm front/20mm rear BMW (but not stock) sway bars.

This one is faster than the old one. There could be a number of reasons but ultimate grip really is not determined by the sways.

Other variables are no sunroof on this one, and different tires.

Last edited by Grande D; 01-09-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #25
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
How do you feel about the power flex rtabs? I really like ride comfort so I'd never upgrade engine mounts to poly or solid but I would always welcome more handling response
Old 01-11-2013, 06:50 AM   #26
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Powerflex RTABs have a minimal increase in harshness. It would be imperceptible if you hadn't driven a car for a week- lets put it that way. I originally went with the OE/limiter setup, but for the RTABs Powerflex is a solid choice (pun intended). Everything else I stick to rubber. I'm a stickler for NVH.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #27
Thaniel

My Ride: 99 323i, 93 357i
If the struts ans shocks are good I'd go with bars next. But get matched set. As mentioned one stiff bar and one soft will unbalance the car. If the struts and shocks are old start there.