E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 151 votes, 4.16 average.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #841
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
revving to 5K is absurd for bleeding

method and technique in top vid is way less than inspiring.

Last edited by Stinger9; 01-08-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Stinger9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #842
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeetastic View Post
OK i will bleed after WP has been done (still waiting for parts to arrive)... but upon lots and lots of google and youtube vids - i have come up with 3 methods (so far)

1: posted on page 1
2: this 2 youtube video, they start bleeding while engine is running..

and this

3: similar to 2 but start the engine and rev it 5K (post here: http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...6&postcount=35)

there could be more methods out there (saw a post from dmax about his alt method but cant seem to find it) so it's really confusing me now..

again this is gonna be my first time bleeding a 99 323i M/T e46 or any BMW car so im loading up the info and getting ready this weekend..

Thanks in advance for the input..
I can create a video where I'm plucking a chicken while bleeding my cooling system. Doesn't mean it's correct or at all necessary.

If it works for you, fine. But I do not and will not agree with turning the engine on during the bleed process. If you can't do it the right way, then you aren't doing it right. I will create a video if there's not one out there yet. I should be draining and refilling my coolant some time this month.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #843
mikeetastic

My Ride: 333ii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
revving to 5K is absurd for bleeding

method and technique in top vid is way less than inspiring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I can create a video where I'm plucking a chicken while bleeding my cooling system. Doesn't mean it's correct or at all necessary.

If it works for you, fine. But I do not and will not agree with turning the engine on during the bleed process. If you can't do it the right way, then you aren't doing it right. I will create a video if there's not one out there yet. I should be draining and refilling my coolant some time this month.
method on page 1 (steps 1-5) it is then.. so after im done with bleeding and started the car - do i need to still check the bleeder screw or ET cap for bubbles? your method ended in step5 and it didnt says anything about starting the car and having to recheck everything??

again so sorry if my questions seems to be dumd
mikeetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #844
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
I had to bleed, start car, then bleed again. I believe the WP is needed to move some of the air bubbles. Also there is air in the impeller that won't escape until the WP turns.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #845
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
method on page 1 (steps 1-5) it is then.. so after im done with bleeding and started the car - do i need to still check the bleeder screw or ET cap for bubbles? your method ended in step5 and it didnt says anything about starting the car and having to recheck everything??

again so sorry if my questions seems to be dumd
It's ok, here to help. Just follow my guide in the OP.

In summary:

Remove tank cap, remove bleed screw. Set aside.

Turn key to "ON" (dash lights on, engine OFF) heater set to max heat, and fan speed low.

Pour coolant/water and keep pouring. Water will begin to top off the expansion tank and emerge from the bleeder screw hole. Keep pouring. You will see air bubbles and hear spitting sounds as air exits the system through the bleed hole.

Keep pouring. Water will be spilling out. This is what you want.

Keep pouring.

Keep pouring until a steady stream of water WITHOUT air bubbles is spilling out of the bleed hole.

Once the system is full, the actual removal of air (pouring) may take between 3-5 minutes of slow pouring. Don't rush anything, take your time.

Once you are satisfied no more air is in the system, get a turkey baster or hand pump and ensure the water in the tank is at the proper level (cold line).

Do not at ANY TIME DURING THE BLEED PROCESS START THE ENGINE! It is unnecessary and can lead to INJURY OR DAMAGE!!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #846
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
I had to bleed, start car, then bleed again. I believe the WP is needed to move some of the air bubbles. Also there is air in the impeller that won't escape until the WP turns.
Spin the pump by hand and install the belts last if you feel this is true.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #847
TonyJ

My Ride: E46 330i
Quote:
Once you are satisfied no more air is in the system, get a turkey baster or hand pump and ensure the water in the tank is at the proper level (cold line).
This is a very important step. The TIS manual did not mention it, and seems to imply that there will be lots of air in the system when you finishes, so after some drive the level will come down.

However in a properly bled system, you already have very little air left. If you don't siphon out the extra water, your cooling system will suffer extra pressure. I was the vitim of this in my first bleed. After some short drive and come back, I see a poodle of water (relieved from the cap)
TonyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #848
mikeetastic

Quote:
It's ok, here to help. Just follow my guide in the OP.

In summary:

Remove tank cap, remove bleed screw. Set aside.

Turn key to "ON" (dash lights on, engine OFF) heater set to max heat, and fan speed low.

Pour coolant/water and keep pouring. Water will begin to top off the expansion tank and emerge from the bleeder screw hole. Keep pouring. You will see air bubbles and hear spitting sounds as air exits the system through the bleed hole.

Keep pouring. Water will be spilling out. This is what you want.

Keep pouring.

Keep pouring until a steady stream of water WITHOUT air bubbles is spilling out of the bleed hole.

Once the system is full, the actual removal of air (pouring) may take between 3-5 minutes of slow pouring. Don't rush anything, take your time.

Do not at ANY TIME DURING THE BLEED PROCESS START THE ENGINE! It is unnecessary and can lead to INJURY OR DAMAGE!!
can i start the car immediately after this? bleeder screw and ET cap closed right? can't wait for my new Saleri OEM water pump to arrive..

looks like i found a video like page 1.. what you think??

Old 01-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #849
Mango
A full five stars, son

Yeah once you're done bleeding, you're done.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #850
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Exciting cooling news I got today when I picked up the bottle of OE coolant from dealer.

It now has bleeding instructions on the bottle. It says to start the car with the ET cap off and heater on. Someday I'll type verbatim what it says...but sounds like bmw has changed the rules a bit on us. Again, I think this is because of all the places that don't follow instructions...or do what they do on every car.

Very interesting news I thought.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #851
7xWDC-MSC

My Ride: 2005 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Exciting cooling news I got today when I picked up the bottle of OE coolant from dealer.

It now has bleeding instructions on the bottle. It says to start the car with the ET cap off and heater on. Someday I'll type verbatim what it says...but sounds like bmw has changed the rules a bit on us. Again, I think this is because of all the places that don't follow instructions...or do what they do on every car.

Now if only they would print "Don't use Prestone" our problems would be over.
7xWDC-MSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #852
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7xWDC-MSC View Post
Now if only they would print "Don't use Prestone" our problems would be over.
If they could find one example where it had hurt, they would.
Stinger9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #853
7xWDC-MSC

My Ride: 2005 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
If they could find one example where it had hurt, they would.
Or you could just stick to something that's cheap, readily available and guarangoddamnteed to work. But hey, whatever floats yer boat.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:34 AM   #854
CrazyOneToo

My Ride: 1999 328i 4dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post

Post a pic please for those nay sayers here???

1999 328i E46 with a M52TU - 2002 X5 E53 3.0i with a M54

AutohausAZ.com/

CrazyOneToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:24 AM   #855
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyOneToo View Post
Post a pic please for those nay sayers here???
It's not about naysayers. It's about the particular design of the engine you are working with. BMW TIS clearly lays out instructions for the E36 and E46 to not start the car. I'm aware of another TIS document that lists starting the car as an "alternative" method. I think the confusion is people not knowing how to do it properly the right way, giving up, and resorting to starting the car.

Not sure why DMAX keeps pressing this as I and others have done it countless times without starting the car. Personally, I've done it on multiple E46s and E36s. Certainly NOT starting the car is safer than starting the car and causing the coolant and expansion tank threads to heat up.

Dmax, do you know what happens to the bleed screw when you try to tighten it in a hot expansion tank??

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #856
tcphoto

My Ride: '01 325Cic TiAg
I guess that I was so busy reading the DIY's and watching YouTube videos that I failed to read the instructions on the back of the bottle.

Last edited by tcphoto; 08-14-2014 at 03:33 PM.
tcphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #857
mikeetastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I guess that I was so busy reading the DIY's and watching YouTube videos that I failed to read the instructions on the back of the bottle.
now your image confuse me more... arggh..

anyone can link me to the TIS
Old 01-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #858
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
You can also drive the car around, let it cool down, and re-bleed. I just don't like the idea of letting the engine run without the cap on. Dangerous. Also I've seen people overheat their cars in their own driveways while "bleeding" with the engine on. This is especially dangerous if you don't have a friend watching the temp gauge.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #859
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
now your image confuse me more... arggh..

anyone can link me to the TIS
No need to be confused. TIS has been around for many, many years, probably over a decade. Trust me 100% when I say TIS instructs you to do it on the E46 with the engine off.

TIS spaghetticoder has been taken down. I wouldn't instruct something if it wasn't official.

Do it whatever way you want, just know there's an increased risk involved when dealing with hot engine, parts, and coolant.

Always use the least dangerous method first.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #860
mikeetastic

@mango

bleed using page1 instructions (1 thru 5) then when i start the car the cap is remove to get more bubbles out if any? what do you think?

Tags
bleeding, coolant, cooling system, diy cooling, expansion tank, lower hose sensor, mango, overheat, radiator, radiator hose, temp sensor, temperature sensor, thermostat, water pump