E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #1
nuk1ear

My Ride: E46 M3
E46 M3 ECU options

Hi all,
Sorry i did some searching and couldnt find a clear answer for this (forgive me if i miss it tho).

Basically im wondering how far you must go in order to alter various parts of the ECU. Are they flashable? Im from the EVO world and Megasquirt world (on an MR2) and ive done a lot of self tuning in the past on my cars and am fairly experienced with it.

Im wondering if the stock ecu is flashable in any way, and if its possible to get the software so i can get onto it. I dont expect anything as advanced as an EVO ecu (you can wire in widebands, flex fuel sensors etc and completely modify basically any parameter of any setting) but just want to understand as much as possible. And yes, i have tuned a honda with ITBs using alpha N and then upgraded to ITB mode on a megasquirt, actually worked very well.

I simply would like to get a bit more out of the engine with an exhaust setup and a better airbox and possibly cams (my reading tells me this is the best direction for a basic NA setup for some power gain).

Any help is much appreciated

Last edited by nuk1ear; 01-07-2013 at 06:51 AM.
nuk1ear is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:06 AM   #2
nuk1ear

sorry mods,
may as well close this thread, did some more reading and reflashing seems pointless. It makes no sense to me how all these aftermarket companies and somehow make new tunes and sell them for 100s, but someone at home cannot to it.

standalone aftermarket seems the only way to go
Old 01-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #3
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 323i with S54
BMW made their engine computers hard to crack, they don't want people tuning them. Japanese cars are more open to tuning.
HakenTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:44 AM   #4
nuk1ear

but i dont get how all these companies can offer flash tunes. Those tunes HAD to be made somehow? They had to be able to view the entire map and tune it in all respects.