E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Best way to wash the underbody?

My car arrived in Kentucky from Florida this past fall. We got our first snow yesterday. I assume that it's the first time it's been subjected to road salt.

It's my DD, so I can't just park it for the winter, and I don't want to take it through a car wash (for obvious reasons).

Is there a good way to wash the underbody, other than putting it up on a lift and spraying it?

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
danwilz

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert 2012 X5
A hose and water is a good start.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
wildirish317

+1 Yeah, that's obvious. With only 4" of ground clearance, it's a bit of a chore. I have to put it on jack stands to do it.

I'm thinking about making a wand out of 2" pvc pipe with holes drilled in it that I can pass under the car to rinse things off. I was hoping someone had mass produced something like this and it's on the market.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #4
dan_1337

My Ride: 330CiC
I thought about this the other day too. I think that the only way is to either take it to a car wash that has an underbody wash (they have these in some places in Australia for 4WDs), or get under the car with a high pressure hose. This would be much easier if you have access to a hoist or jack stands though.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
e4ortysix

My Ride: 03 325ci vert
I pull mine up on ramps and clean the front then back on to the ramps and get the back. I get under it and put a rag or mit to the really soiled spots. I tend to get pretty OCD when I detail my car
e4ortysix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:26 AM   #6
sgoetz628

My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
For the first six years, my car was my DD in Connecticut, where we get plenty of snow and salt. I would take it to the auto car wash - once midwinter, once end of winter. I was just under the car a couple of weeks ago, changing the oil and replacing the oil level sensor, which means taking the protective plate off. The car looks practically brand new underneath. And my top doesn't now, nor has it ever leaked a drop of water.
sgoetz628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:40 AM   #7
Vandyinc

My Ride: 2000 323 Cic
Don't have to worry about road salt here, but when I use to go Off-roading in my truck, I would place a sprinkler under it to clean the underside. You will probably need a garage to sit in overnight to dry it out afterwards though.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
wildirish317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandyinc View Post
Don't have to worry about road salt here, but when I use to go Off-roading in my truck, I would place a sprinkler under it to clean the underside. You will probably need a garage to sit in overnight to dry it out afterwards though.
Thanks Vandyinc. I thought of that last night as well. I searched around the garage today and found this:

It works like a charm. I simply use the hose to push the sprinkler 3-4 feet under the car and work my way around all four sides.

Quote:
Old 01-09-2013, 05:56 AM   #9
drnknmnky13

My Ride: 04 M3
That's a great idea. May have to run to walmart to pick up a wide base flat sprinkler like that.

I can use it on my other cars as well.
drnknmnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
what a great idea. How stupid could I be not to think of this. May have to open a business advertising underside washes (autos)
jayb328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #11
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
ha ha, i haven't wash my under chassis for ten years
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #12
rcsummers

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
Thanks Vandyinc. I thought of that last night as well. I searched around the garage today and found this:

It works like a charm. I simply use the hose to push the sprinkler 3-4 feet under the car and work my way around all four sides.

thats ****ing brilliant
Old 01-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #13
soul786

My Ride: 2003 325xi
This might be a dumb question so bear with me, but after washing/rinsing like this, can the freeze do any harm? It's -16 celcius here in Toronto right now
soul786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #14
wildirish317

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb328i View Post
what a great idea. How stupid could I be not to think of this. May have to open a business advertising underside washes (autos)
You wouldn't believe how much time I spent on the web, searching for something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul786 View Post
This might be a dumb question so bear with me, but after washing/rinsing like this, can the freeze do any harm? It's -16 celcius here in Toronto right now
Yeah, I wouldn't do it if it's much below freezing. The salt won't really start attacking your car until it has moisture to work with. If you can get it into a garage overnight to let it dry, it might be better.

Quote:
Old 01-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #15
jayb328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul786 View Post
NoNo--NO, My suggestion, at -16C degrees I would not think of doing this. I still have bad memories of water getting into the frame of my car from the bottom and the doors all freezing closed--I mean frozen when it was 20 degrees below. I would wait until it gets above or near freezing, and after doing it take the car for a nice joy ride.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #16
jimvideopro

My Ride: 2006 330CiC
I think you're over thinking this. Go to a do-it-yourself car wash and use the wand to spray some water underneath. There isn't that much salt used on the roads here (I'm in Louisville) and even if there were, all the steel I'm sure is treated to resist rust. There's a reason you never see any Ziebart franchises any more.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #17
wildirish317

Can't argue that. I just hate DIY car washes. Nice ride!

Quote:
Old 01-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #18
sgoetz628

My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post

Ha! American ingenuity at its finest. Love it!
Old 01-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #19
jayb328i

Just think guys.........the dealer can paint the plastic black instead of yellow, list it in the BMW parts manual as a car under-wash system, and sell it for $150, maybe more.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #20
tks

My Ride: slower than yours
They'll even put the roundel on it and make it spin like a rotor alternating colors, oh the possibilities...
tks is offline   Reply With Quote