E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 45 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 05:31 AM   #21
Hermes

My Ride: cars older than you
I have OEM BMW Assist + Bluetooth and I have a card with the pair key code. The controls (R/T+ up/down buttons) are not the best because it just pulls your phonebook in alphabetical order, but one time last month I was driving and dropped my phone under my seat. I was not able to reach it since I was driving up to OC with a bunch of other BMW's and couldn't stop, so I did use the R/T button to make a few calls. Helpful if you have to use it but not great.

Interesting side note, my car has none of those trunk marking about pre-wired for Nav but when I pulled apart my rear deck to solve the rattle I found the wires and the Nav antenna already installed!!! I'm guessing homelink must be pre-wired too.

Respect Your Elders
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:46 AM   #22
Lemonsqr

My Ride: 2001 TiAg 330i
parrot here
Old 01-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #23
as if

My Ride: 2005 bmw 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBourne View Post
Negative. I guess I should just talk to a dealer/mechanic. Maybe they can help.
For what it is worth, I called the dealer. he told me that if I have the passkey, I should have BT. Hope he is right. he also told me that I should be able to pair the phone myself. He suggested googling for instructions to pair the phone. In the end, we may need to go to the dealer to get it done as long as it is all prewired.
as if is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #24
samson

My Ride: 05' 330i
Send a message via AIM to samson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
I have OEM BMW Assist + Bluetooth and I have a card with the pair key code. The controls (R/T+ up/down buttons) are not the best because it just pulls your phonebook in alphabetical order, but one time last month I was driving and dropped my phone under my seat. I was not able to reach it since I was driving up to OC with a bunch of other BMW's and couldn't stop, so I did use the R/T button to make a few calls. Helpful if you have to use it but not great.

Interesting side note, my car has none of those trunk marking about pre-wired for Nav but when I pulled apart my rear deck to solve the rattle I found the wires and the Nav antenna already installed!!! I'm guessing homelink must be pre-wired too.
I believe at some point, BMW removed the logos in the truck for pre-wiring. My 05 330 is doesn't have any logos either, but is pre wired for everything.
samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #25
ashpelham

My Ride: 2005 325Ci
Want to say thank you to the OP for letting me know that I have Bluetooth in my '05 325Ci!! Didn't even know until today. Went outside with my iPhone 4, and started it right up.

In fairness, I've only had the car for 2 months, but still, a big shout out for THANKS!!!
ashpelham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #26
MrBourne

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325i
So I am finally figuring things out, but I still need a little help.

I took apart the carpeting on the left side of my trunk and found this:

What exactly is this unit? The two right plugs were plugged in but the left two ports were empty and for some reason there was a hanging loose plug that I believe is supposed to be plugged into the far left plug.

Is this module only for BMW Assist or does it also have bluetooth capabilities? If my research is correct, I would need to buy a bluetooth ULF module. Any help is appreciated!
MrBourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:39 AM   #27
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
I saw this today. It looks like you need the wiring to connect everything. I'm curious to find if I have bluetooth module in my car. I see that it keeps saying No Phonebook on my display.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #28
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
I have a 2000 323i and I have the official/genuine BMW bluetooth. steering wheel buttons works, phone number/name display on radio screen, calls taken through car's speaker system, etc
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:46 AM   #29
edfadude

My Ride: 1999 323i
All E46 models can be upgraded for bluetooth

If you have an E46, your car is wired for a phone and you can add bluetooth using BMW OEM parts. Even if you don't find a microphone above the dashboard, the wiring will be there and you can add the microphone.

I have a base model 1999 323 from the first year E46 was available in the US. I purchsed the Bluetooth ULF with all necessary connectors from www.bimmernav.com.

My install was more complicated because I have the base steering wheel without buttons. However, connectors for a phone were already wired to the center console. I simply purchased a new button for the bottom of the dash and popped it into an unused position next to the heated seat button. Now I just press this button to use voice commands for the phone or the navigation system._nr_
edfadude is offline   Reply With Quote