E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
Pig_Pen

My Ride: 325xi
Question Help, Replaced CV boot & wheel bearings, now dsc on and noise, what did I do?

Hope you guys can help me out. I searched, but couldn't find info specific to my problem.

Over the last week I replaced a torn outside cv boot on my 2003 325xi using the diy here. While I had it apart I figured I might as well do the wheel bearings since the car has 100k on it.

I didn't pull either axle out of the diff, on the side that I replaced the boot, I just tapped off the outer joint with the axle still attached, cleaned the joint, grease, new boot and then tapped the outer joint back on the axle.

Did the wheel bearings and all went smooth.

Now my problem: if I get going over 5mph, the dsc light comes on and the engine cuts power to the pedal. I do hear a faint intermittent noise that sounds like it is from the driveline somewhere. I checked and both axles are still fully seated in the diff. When I spin the front wheels while on jackstands, there isn't any binding or unusual noise. Grabbing the axles, there isn't any more play than normal. The wheel sensors are in and everything else appears to be correct.

One thing I was thinking, does the outer cv joint need to be lined up on the axle in a certain position? I just put it on, but maybe that is what is throwing the wheel sensor off?

Is it possible that I pulled the inner joint apart, but can't tell now that it is back together?

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? My car is undrivable right now....

Thanks in advance for any help.
Pig_Pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
shovelit

My Ride: 03 325xi and 04 330x
I don't believe the outer cv joint is keyed to the axle. It should go on anyway.
Sounds like a wheel speed sensor problem.
Retrace your steps when you replaced the wheel bearings.
shovelit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
Pig_Pen

Thanks for the quick reply shovelit.
I made sure I pulled the sensors out before removing the axle or bearings to keep from damaging them. I did clean both sides as they were covered with grease and dirt. I pulled the sensors out on each side and don't see any damage to them and don't see any pinches or cuts to the wire. Do I just replace the sensors? I did rotate the tires (front to back same side) Are the rear sensors in a place that I could have damaged them by swapping the tires?
Old 01-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
shovelit

No. you should not have damaged the rear sensors.
Did the front sensors come out easily or did you struggle to get them out?
You may have damaged them trying to remove them.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
Pig_Pen

they came out easy and I tied them up out of the way while working on the bearings.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #6
shovelit

Hmmm. I don't have any experience with these yet.
I own the same car as you but this is my 1st BMW.
Some Mercedes Benz vehicles use the wheel bearing as the reluctor
for the speed sensor. One end of the bearing has a magnet in it.
Therefore it can be installed backward, causing your problem.
I really have no idea from here.
Hopefully someone with some experience will chime in.
I'm sorry I can't help more.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
Pig_Pen

Yea, on our cars, the sensor seems to point at the large part of the cv joint. Thanks for the advise. I really have no idea what to try next (other than calling the shop and paying through the nose).
Old 01-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #8
Pig_Pen

I went out and drove it some more and the noise I was hearing was the brakes being applied by the stability control. I must have a bad wheel speed sensor. Could I have damaged one of them by just cleaning them off?

when driving as soon as I hit about 5mph, touching the gas pedal applies the brakes and the dsc light flashes on. Is there a way to test the wheel sensors?
Old 01-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #9
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
A GT1 or similar diagnostic tool would probably show the code for it. Alternatively, I think you can unplug them one-by-one and see which fixes the issue.

Edit: Bentley may have an "ohm test" but short of a 'scope, you won't know for sure.

Last edited by lcoleman; 01-08-2013 at 09:14 PM.
lcoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
Pig_Pen

thanks, I will try unplugging one at at time. I am assuming it is unpluged from within the plastic box on the back of the wheel well? I have been reading about reluctor rings, are they embeded in the cv joint on the e46?
Old 01-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #11
Pig_Pen

ok, so I unplugged the speed sensor from the driver side. Once I started the car, the dsc, abs & brake lights all stayed illuminated, but the car was drivable. I plugged the sensor back in and the lights are still on, but the car still drives (the brakes aren't applied when the gas pedal is depressed). Is that telling me the drivers side sensor is bad?
Old 01-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #12
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Hmm...I'm not sure, personally, I would've expected the problem to return after it was plugged back in. Perhaps you can just clear the codes (disconnect battery for a while) and repeat the test if necessary.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:28 AM   #13
Pig_Pen

Yea, that is what I would expect too. Maybe the driver side sensor was the good one and by disconnecting it, the abs/dsc system disabled. I will unplug the battery for a while and see if the problem comes back. If so, I will try unplugging the pass side.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #14
Pig_Pen

Ok, so I disconnected the battery, checked the rear pad and speed sensors. Both were still connected and the wires look to be in good shape. Connected the battery and the three lights still on (dsc,abs &brake all amber). Unless there are any more ideas, looks like I am off to the shop for a scan. I didn't disconnect the pass front sensor since I figured with the abs/dsc still disabled, there wasn't much point.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #15
dmitrofed

My Ride: Red 2001 330xi
when you put in the bearings, did you put them in correctly? i mean did you look at both sides of the bearing? the tone wheel is actually in the back of the bearing so if you put the bearings in backwards it won't read the wheel speed.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #16
Pig_Pen

That would make perfect sense that I put a bearing in backwards, I didn't know that the sensor read off the bearing. I followed the diy on here and looked at the taper, put the smaller side in. But now I am second guessing that maybe I was backward on one or both. Is there any way to tell once everything is back together? Seeing as I will end up destroying the new bearings taking them out.

21. Use part 8 in the back (12 is too big) and part 5 in the front to press in the bearing. Make sure you removed the ABS sensor, it's in the way and will probably snap off. The bearing should be oriented so that the tapered edge is going into the housing (on my bearings this is the side with the writing). Tighten the bolt making sure everything stays straight. Once part 5 is all the way up to the housing add part 12 in front of 5 and press the bearing in the rest of the way. It will start to get real tight at the end - keep going until its seated.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #17
dmitrofed

You may be able to see the back end of the bearing if you take out the axles in the front, just pull em out of the hub. I can't remember for sure but I'm pretty sure the back side was black with little lines going all the way around like rays coming from the middle. You may be able to see that way. Otherwise get someone that has a scan too that's capable of reading ABS data to plug in a scan tool for you and see which wheel isn't reading a speed. That would be your best bet I think and it would be a lot less labor intensive and more definite.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #18
Pig_Pen

Thanks for your help. is it possible that I got bearings that fit the car but don't have a tone wheel in it? (read got em off ebay...). I think I will have the indy shop scan it. Hopefully I don't have to replace the bearings again.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #19
dmitrofed

its possible but the chances are pretty slim. yeah the shop should have a scan tool capable of reading that stuff
Old 01-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #20
Pig_Pen

I found a post on here how to use a multimeter to test the sensors, I may give that a shot before I pay the shop....