E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
cmueller123

My Ride: Cars
2002 325xi Shakes Violently in Cold Temps While Accelerating

My 2002 325xi automatic transmission has ~160,000 miles and has recently started shaking violently in cold temperatures after I have driven about 100 miles.

Shaking occurs during acceleration at any speeds, also while going up hills (more gas is needed to maintain speed), and also shakes while the car is stationary and in drive after driving long distances. The shaking goes away when the car is stationary and I put the car in neutral.

Has anyone experienced these problems and if so what was the diagnosis and potential cost implications.
cmueller123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
check tires and axles. xi's are prone to have bad front axles which cause vibration
also, bad tires caused by worn suspension components can cause that too.
at 160k, the factory front control arms and axles are probably in very bad condition.
check any torn boots on the axles and also jack up the car see if you get any play at 12/6 clock on the front wheels.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
The_Don

My Ride: 2001, 325Ci
Since the shaking goes away after you set the auto trans in neutral, I am thinking that the tranny may be the culprit. When is the last time you changed the fluid and replaced the auto trans filter? I don't know too much about auto transmissions as I have owned manuals pretty much my whole life, but after reading your post "torque converter" keeps popping in my mind. I hope you find out what the problem is. Sounds like something that would drive me crazy.

For Sale
The_Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
jasonbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Don View Post
Since the shaking goes away after you set the auto trans in neutral, I am thinking that the tranny may be the culprit. When is the last time you changed the fluid and replaced the auto trans filter? I don't know too much about auto transmissions as I have owned manuals pretty much my whole life, but after reading your post "torque converter" keeps popping in my mind. I hope you find out what the problem is. Sounds like something that would drive me crazy.
pretty much all automatic xi's vibrate when in gear and foot on the brake especially the engine is still warming up. its nothing to the with the transmission.

OP you need to describe more about the vibration.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
My325XI

My Ride: 03 325XI Sprt Prem
Front axles are the usual culprit. Plenty of info in the XI forum.

2003 325XI 5-speed ZSP ZPP
My325XI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
Hoebama

My Ride: e46
My guess is fuel starvation... Partially clogged fuel filter.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #7
Bavaryan

My Ride: 330i w/out park.
Is the shake more violent during heavy acceleration? during turning? Those would indicate axle issues. However, you say that it vibrates when in drive and stopped, axles definately would not cause that. I don't know about a "normal" vibration in the XI's(as I dont' have one), but i figure the OP would know if it was a normal vibration after 160k miles of driving it.

I too am inclined to think it is a trans problem. Does it vibrate in reverse as well or just drive?
Old 01-04-2012, 08:46 AM   #8
cmueller123

@RG5384 - After I drive it a long distance, the vibration is the same for slow acceleration and heavy acceleration. I don't really notice anything during turning other than if i step on the gas to accelerate during turning. The vibration while stopped is not normal, it's noticably heavier in the winter compared to the summer so the outside temperature is affecting the performace. I did not notice any vibrating while in reverse, but I'm also not going accelerating that fast.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #9
jasonbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmueller123 View Post
@RG5384 - After I drive it a long distance, the vibration is the same for slow acceleration and heavy acceleration. I don't really notice anything during turning other than if i step on the gas to accelerate during turning. The vibration while stopped is not normal, it's noticably heavier in the winter compared to the summer so the outside temperature is affecting the performace. I did not notice any vibrating while in reverse, but I'm also not going accelerating that fast.
vibration during acceleration - bad axles
vibration when stopped in D - old engine and transmission mounts depending on the severity, although xi's tend to vibrate more.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #10
cmueller123

Thanks Jason. I'll check out these problem areas this weekend.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #11
cmueller123

Obviously been a while since I posted something regarding this issue but here's what I have done so far and the problem is still there.

1) Changed tires and breaks
2) Changed CSB (center support bearing) in the drive shaft
3) Changed Guibo

Total cost: $1700

Next steps: Inspect the Axels

Brief History on the issue: The front end of the car shakes only when a load is applied to the engine (when I press on the gas to accelerate) going forward or in reverse. When the car is coasting, there is no shaking what so ever. This also only happens in cold weather.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #12
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
I am guessing front axles as this seems to be a common issue among some xi owners??

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #13
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
You say that it happens after you drive for 100 miles or so? Do you mean that it will run normally for a while? If so, check the manifold tempurature sensor, part #3 in the link below.
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...79&hg=11&fg=40
Make sure it has not been pulled out, or unplugged.
I had a similar situation once, because I failed to re-install the manifold temp probe. It ran perfectly for about 45 minutes, and then started shaking violently, and I had to pull over. I saw it right away, and once it was plugged back in, all was well.
If it is not unplugged, or is inserted properly into the manifold, then have your codes read, and see if it has failed.
This is just a guess on my part, but it sounds so much like what I experienced, I thought I would throw it out there. The fact that you say it is worse in the cold made me think of this as well.
Of course, it could be any of the other items listed above as well, except I would think that bad axles and transmissions would run like crap from the start, not 100 miles down the road.

Last edited by MJLavelle; 01-09-2013 at 01:38 PM.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #14
aahmed2016

My Ride: 2003 330i ZSP/CP/PP
Do what the others said, but in the meanwhile, if anyone asks, say it's the car's turbo/ Vanos kicking in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
Spends $2000 on car DVD + stereo -> Running 25000 mile oil changes and 87 gas with blown shocks
aahmed2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #15
muellerr64

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Shaking

Is this a for real price...70.94 for a front axle? Two for less than 150.00...

http://www.jcwhitney.com/replacement...17928y2002g2j1

Chris...this is worth a try

dad.
muellerr64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #16
muellerr64

CV Axle Assy

Chris...Cheaper to goto Autohausaz

I ordered the parts.

left/right axles, two seals, two retaining clips 175.00 shipped free...woo hoo something to do this weekend

dad
Old 01-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #17
e46alfonso

My Ride: 330xi, focus st
Dad, did you just order those cavalier axles for your xi?

GNK (oem) axles are what you need which cost $600 for both. Don't put chinese axeles in a bmw.
e46alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #18
muellerr64

shudder - axles

600.00...I can do them 4 times each at 80.00...

The car has 200k on it already, if it goes another 100, that works for me

I would be interested in anyone who has put Autohausaz axle parts in. I've always had good luck with their stuff

Last edited by muellerr64; 01-10-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #19
GCoop

My Ride: '04 325xi
Should have visited the XI sub forum first....

You will probably live to regret the chinese axle decision (as most do).

Your problem is Dry CV joints (inners most likely). What happens is the oe clamps slack off over time allowing the 'grease" to escape. Its actually more like a viscous fluid in the inner joints.

If you are not clicking on turns your joints are probably still good. A simple re-boot and re-grease would have got you going...

I got tired of the OE CV clamps and went with these on the inners. No Joke. Been fine for 2 years now. just recently had to tighten the up a little. Before it seemed like every 30k I was having issues.

Last edited by GCoop; 01-11-2013 at 02:27 PM.
GCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #20
muellerr64

OK...you win. For 80 bucks a throw I had to try it. They came the next day UPS, the end of the spline was banged up pretty bad...that should have been the indication of what would follow...

Dremel and a jewelers file, spline back to looking good...2 hours

Turns out the bearing lands on the Chinese stuff were a couple of thousands bigger than the original Turning them down to fit...another 3 hours.

Started on the passenger side, decided to use a combo of the YouTube video and the Bentley manual. Added the removal of the two bolts on the frame holding the a-arm to the YouTube video...that worked great.

Took about 2 hours to get everything apart and the old axle out; lots of pounding. Taking the old axle apart, it was really apparent that this was the issue. Not sure why cold weather had anything to do with it; as it really didn't shake much or at all in the summer...anyway. The three bearings were completely shot, actually rusted and the inner part of the box they fit in had wear marks like dimples along the inside tracks.

Install was kinda hard, it went in, but still had about a 1/2 inch to go. Right about then I was wishing I had the BMW tool. A 2x4 and a mallet in just the right spot and presto its in.

The drivers side disassembly was about the same. The install was actually easier, but accident. The shaft stopped about 1/2 inch from going all the way in, and out of frustration I grabbed the outer end and slammed it toward the transmission...viola the thing slid in and snapped into place.

Put it all back together; no more shaking.

So, at the end of the day, it was way more hours than it should have been; but I still am 450 bucks ahead of the game; even if I have to do it again in 50k miles.