E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #21
bratliff

My Ride: 330i
Since neither the ccv or ofhg require messing with the cooling system, my guess is you knocked something loose. Most obvious culprit imo would be the upper hose where it attaches to the expansion tank. Check all those hoses while you're at it. Pop up the little retaining clip and make sure the hose is well seated (and obviously do this with the engine cold).
Old 01-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #22
mkt3c

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Figured it out. I knocked the upper hose off the thermostat when i was taking the fan off. But I put it back on and it blew off again so I'm guessing the clip is broken off. I need to be more careful next time apparently

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
mkt3c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #23
mkt3c

I'm still having rough idle problems guys I need some more help. My intake boots looked fine when i replaced the ccv but i ordered new upper and lower boots just to be sure and will swap those out here soon. My car sputters and it seems like a misfire but its only at idle and it seems to smooth out when in reverse or drive. I don't want to throw a lot more money at it if its not gonna help. I've already replaced alternator then it started idling rough so I put in fuel pump, spark plugs, CCV and OFHG. Next up is the intake boots and maybe fuel filter. What else you guys got?

Last edited by mkt3c; 01-08-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #24
brixtoninmate

My Ride: e46 316i se
Take a look at secondary air pump as it gets to engine there are a few very short and thin pipes replace them will take 20 mins cost 3 pounds in England they peris as they are so close to the engine

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Bimmer App
brixtoninmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #25
brixtoninmate

My Ride: e46 316i se
Have you cleaned throttle body.if it isnt closing properly then the idle control value won't work properly while your there take off ideal control value clean it should rattle when you shake it .if you can't here it rattle then clean it more they can stick needbto clean with carberter spray

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Bimmer App
brixtoninmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #26
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkt3c View Post
I'm still having rough idle problems guys I need some more help. My intake boots looked fine when i replaced the ccv but i ordered new upper and lower boots just to be sure and will swap those out here soon. My car sputters and it seems like a misfire but its only at idle and it seems to smooth out when in reverse or drive. I don't want to throw a lot more money at it if its not gonna help. I've already replaced alternator then it started idling rough so I put in fuel pump, spark plugs, CCV and OFHG. Next up is the intake boots and maybe fuel filter. What else you guys got?

There's not a penny you can throw on this car that won't help. People need to understand that at some point, ALL THE RUBBER NEEDS TO BE REPLACED.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #27
mkt3c

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
There's not a penny you can throw on this car that won't help. People need to understand that at some point, ALL THE RUBBER NEEDS TO BE REPLACED.
I agree Its all worth it and I'm all for preventive maintenance on my car but I am a college student with tuition due this week and right now I can't afford to drop a lot of money if its not going to help my problem. Mango I respect your knowledge and your cooling system thread helped me out a lot.

Last light I found that my brake booster vacuum line looked to be broken of where it connects to the bracket next to the icv and disa. I used rtv to seal it back on but it didn't help. Could that be it? I guess next I will try cleaning throttle body and icv when i replace the upper and lower boots. What else should I look for while I'm in there?

I'm tempted to make a homemade smoke machine.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #28
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkt3c View Post
I agree Its all worth it and I'm all for preventive maintenance on my car but I am a college student with tuition due this week and right now I can't afford to drop a lot of money if its not going to help my problem. Mango I respect your knowledge and your cooling system thread helped me out a lot.

Last light I found that my brake booster vacuum line looked to be broken of where it connects to the bracket next to the icv and disa. I used rtv to seal it back on but it didn't help. Could that be it? I guess next I will try cleaning throttle body and icv when i replace the upper and lower boots. What else should I look for while I'm in there?

I'm tempted to make a homemade smoke machine.

I understand but the rubber lines, caps, seals are literally pennies and dollars. The CCV system itself is the most expensive part ($150 for the whole thing) but if you want, wrap any broken lines w/ duct tape if you're on a budget (if you suspect or see a tear.

For example

IAT seal? 25 cents

1-2 ft. of vacuum line? $5 (will do all the lines in the engine bay)

DISA seal? $5

TB seal? $5

Lower boot? $20

It's not that much. It is your mode of transportation, after all.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #29
mkt3c

To do this weekend:
Disa seal, upper and lower intake boots, all new vacuum lines, new air filter, new fuel filter, clean throttle body and ICV

Hopefully I'll get this idle smoothed out

Old 01-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #30
mkt3c

After 300 miles the SES light finally came on. Got codes read and had 2, secondary air injection system bank 1 and bank 2.