E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 05:34 AM   #21
ChiefM3

My Ride: 2005 M3 SMG
Here is the list of items that i am currently considering buying now. What is your guys thoughts. Do you have any items that you would recommend in place of these items? The site i am looking at is Modbargains due to price but I am willing to buy from other vendors if i get negative responses. I refuse to place junk on any of my rides so trying to knock out the research first.
K&N 57-Series and 63-Series Intake BMW E46 3 Series and M3
Carbon Fiber SMG Paddles for BMW E46 M3
Smoked BMW E46 M3 Side Markers
Kidney Grills : Matte Black
E46 M3 Side Grills
and VMR 710 Matte Black wheels ( Dont know what size would be best though)

Last edited by ChiefM3; 01-07-2013 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Spelling
ChiefM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #22
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Murdered out...

Paint correction, good wax. How many miles are on the car and has it had an inspection 2? You might find that little bit of cash burning a hole in your pocket is about to disappear if it's due for one.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #23
JaayT

My Ride: e46 M3 Vert
Headers were probably my favorite mod I've done to the car and I have done quite a few!
Old 01-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #24
ChiefM3

My Ride: 2005 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
Murdered out...

Paint correction, good wax. How many miles are on the car and has it had an inspection 2? You might find that little bit of cash burning a hole in your pocket is about to disappear if it's due for one.
It has just gone through inspection and everything has been blessed off on. The car has 27k Mi. on her.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #25
Eisenheim

My Ride: 2002 PY E46 M3
Send a message via Skype™ to Eisenheim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefM3 View Post
Here is the list of items that i am currently considering buying now. What is your guys thoughts. Do you have any items that you would recommend in place of these items? The site i am looking at is Modbargains due to price but I am willing to buy from other vendors if i get negative responses. I refuse to place junk on any of my rides so trying to knock out the research first.
E46 M3 Side Grills
I have mattle black wheels, take a look at my photos...youll get an idea, even though my car isnt the same colour.
Eisenheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #26
GarlicBread911

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westrace View Post
Second that. I would make sure all the major maintenance are up to to date -- water pump, cooling, transmission/diff fluid, steering fluid, fuel filter, spark plugs, RTAB ...

Then get a Mason rear strut tower bar to stiffen up the rear so you can add better either coilovers or lower springs as the stock chassis may flex under hard corner loads. I plan get get the Mason myself because my after market springs probably pushes the stock chassis more than I would like.

After that it's all up to you.
Rear shock tower braces don't do much at all because of the rear suspension design. Definitely a wasteful upgrade for a lightly modded M3. Get your subframe reinforced way before getting a rear shock tower brace.

Check it out (last post is good): http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...p?p=1064577629
Old 01-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #27
Grendelsbane

My Ride: M3
Quote:
E46 M3 Side Grills
I have heard that the cold air intakes don't do much for our cars. If you search around some folks have had problems with the K&N. Though it does appear to change the note of the car's roar.

I know the desire to mod ones car...but ultimately what is your end goal? For example, one day I plan to put a turbo on my car. With that said, its kind of pointless to buy headers or a CAI because those would all have to go. I don't want to buy things twice or buy something and then a year later sell it because it won't be needed on the "end" product.

Since you are also a SMG owner, I would say go get the CSL SMG tune. Much smoother IMO.
2004 Silver M3 / SMG / Koni Yellow shocks and struts / Vogtlands lowering springs / Eibach front and rear sway bars / Proflex bushings / Predator Orion V2 Multi-Color LED Angel Eyes / Laser Interceptors / Clear Bumper Reflectors / Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator / AKG Motor mounts / Rogue Engineering Transmission Mount / AKG differential bushings / Euro mirrors / B&B Exhaust / CSL SMG tune /DME CSL tune

Grendelsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #28
dinan19

My Ride: 2004 Imola ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendelsbane View Post
I have heard that the cold air intakes don't do much for our cars. If you search around some folks have had problems with the K&N. Though it does appear to change the note of the car's roar.

I know the desire to mod ones car...but ultimately what is your end goal? For example, one day I plan to put a turbo on my car. With that said, its kind of pointless to buy headers or a CAI because those would all have to go. I don't want to buy things twice or buy something and then a year later sell it because it won't be needed on the "end" product.

Since you are also a SMG owner, I would say go get the CSL SMG tune. Much smoother IMO.
The intake would be pointless but not the headers neccessarily. If you turbocharge it then yes the turbo manifold replaces it. But if you go with AA or ess and have a procharged setup then the headers are still usefull since they dont run from exhaust but pulleys.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Bimmer App
Old 01-08-2013, 11:15 PM   #29
Active 2

My Ride: 02 E46 m3
Quote:
E46 M3 Side Grills
-The cold air intake isnt worth the extra $$, a K&N drop in filter will suffice
-I personally prefer the aluminum smg paddles. I have them on my car. Although carbon fiber looks ok
-Modbargains is definitely a good place to get all of these items. Ive ordered from them before and have never had a problem. Also check out Bimmian.com

and definitely look into a paint correction if your car has alot of swirl marks. I did one on my car about a week ago and my car looks like glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinan19 View Post
The intake would be pointless but not the headers neccessarily. If you turbocharge it then yes the turbo manifold replaces it. But if you go with AA or ess and have a procharged setup then the headers are still usefull since they dont run from exhaust but pulleys.
+1 OP if you do decide to put headers whatever you do don't buy Agency Power. Their design is flawed since they have a flap in the inside that restricts the flow at high rpm causing the car to choke and not make as much power as other headers like CSL or even AA. Ive tested them on the dyno.

AA Headers | AA Exhaust | AA tune | Ground Control | AFE scoops | Apex EC-7

Last edited by Active 2; 01-08-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Active 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:06 AM   #30
Hi-LowBlow

My Ride: 2006 M3 SMG
How did you correct the paint?
Hi-LowBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:34 AM   #31
Active 2

My Ride: 02 E46 m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-LowBlow View Post
How did you correct the paint?
Its the process of using compounds and polish to remove swirls in the paint by removing part of the clear coat. If youve never done this type of work before, I dont recommend you to try it at all. Hire a professional if you want it done

This photo pretty much sums up the process:

AA Headers | AA Exhaust | AA tune | Ground Control | AFE scoops | Apex EC-7
Active 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #32
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Paint correction can be safely done at home with a DA. It does take experience to get good results and a fair bit of patience. The trick is knowing what pad/compound combo you need to cut just what's needed to get rid of imperfections. That takes experience.

Now paint correction with a traditional buffer is NOT safe to do at home without experience unless you have a large set of testicles. It's much faster, but you run a risk of burning through.

I believe autopia has a primer on paint correction.

Regardless if you do it yourself or pay someone else to do it, it's one of the best "mods" you can do to your car.

Last edited by choxor; 01-09-2013 at 09:05 AM.
choxor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #33
fatskidmark

My Ride: E46 M3
@ChiefM3, I'd consider coilovers and wheels first. I have a K&N drop in filter and I love it. Other than that, smoked corner lights and smoked fogs are simple things I did. I'd really look at the suspension and wheels though, the performance is awesome stock and the stock exhaust is pure secks...Nice car!

I also drive a 67' Mustang Fastback with a stroker motor. So, yeah, I drive a Mustang, it's cool...

Last edited by fatskidmark; 01-09-2013 at 02:41 PM.
fatskidmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
improvements, m3, modifications