E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #1621
iwannagofast

My Ride: 01 330ci
Send a message via AIM to iwannagofast
Chinese method of developing stem cells from urine might help this?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Bimmer App

xbox live: stopthisfall
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #1622
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
i have a dumb question that i'm too embarrassed to make a thread about***********:
if i shot a bullet on earth from a high-powered rifle, straight out in front of me, and there were no obstacles in the way, would the bullet go around the circumference of the earth until it eventually lost speed and fall to the ground (i.e. gravity would hold it within the atmosphere) or would the bullet kinda go tangentially from the earth and build altitude until it lost speed and fall back down to the earth from a much higher height than i originally shot the bullet from?
Old 01-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #1623
mash20
Is not Persian

My Ride: '01 TiAg M3 Vert
The bullet will fall towards the earth at 9.8m/s2 regardless of its horizontal velocity. If you shot it from say 1.5m up, it would hit the ground after 0.5s. Assuming a muzzle velocity of 1700m/s, the bullet would have travelled 850m by the time it dropped 1.5m. The curvature of the earth isn't enough for it to get into "orbit" at that velocity.

So it would hit the ground about 850m away.

Last edited by my ass; Yesterday at 11:15 PM.

Last edited by mash20; 01-09-2013 at 01:56 PM.
mash20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #1624
SonicBoom

My Ride: X3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_velocity_nr_
SonicBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #1625
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
The bullet would take off

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #1626
Rubenk

My Ride: M35A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash20 View Post
The bullet will fall towards the earth at 9.8m/s2 regardless of its horizontal velocity. If you shot it from say 1.5m up, it would hit the ground after 0.5s. Assuming a muzzle velocity of 1700m/s, the bullet would have travelled 850m by the time it dropped 1.5m. The curvature of the earth isn't enough for it to get into "orbit" at that velocity.

Assuming it was fired parallel to the ground.
Rubenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #1627
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
i have a dumb question that i'm too embarrassed to make a thread about***********:
if i shot a bullet on earth from a high-powered rifle, straight out in front of me, and there were no obstacles in the way, would the bullet go around the circumference of the earth until it eventually lost speed and fall to the ground (i.e. gravity would hold it within the atmosphere) or would the bullet kinda go tangentially from the earth and build altitude until it lost speed and fall back down to the earth from a much higher height than i originally shot the bullet from?
Quote:

Brew would disagree
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ysics+question
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
The bullet would take off
This is the correct answer

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:37 PM   #1628
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Some cool news from my town/school

Nasa detected a burst of positrons with the Fermi detector back in 2010 that originated from earth. They think it comes from "dark lightning," a chain reaction of high energy electrons emitted from a storm hitting air molecules and producing gamma rays. Gamma rays in turn interact with more air molecules producing electron - positron pairs, and the cycle continues. Since the process mostly takes place outside of the visible spectrum, you get an invisible burst of antimatter detectable from orbit.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:06 AM   #1629
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Now if only we could capture and harness that antimatter...
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #1630
SonicBoom

My Ride: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Now if only we could capture and harness that antimatter...
...and use it for our own purposes...
SonicBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #1631
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBoom View Post
...and use it for our own purposes...
Warp core, duh?
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #1632
cowmoo32
drunken science

I'm not sure if I'm more impressed by the design or the fact that NASA can simulate sounds so accurately

http://www.aviationweek.com/Blogs.as...7-3eec0578c19b

flickher

Old 01-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #1633
Treburkulosis

My Ride: BMW
Treburkulosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #1634
cowmoo32
drunken science

This is a molecule
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19584301

flickher

Old 01-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #1635
cowmoo32
drunken science

flickher

Old 01-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #1636
cowmoo32
drunken science

This just goes to show how fast technology changes, as if we didn't already know that. The Kinect came out a little over 2 years ago and was the first of its kind. In a scant two years time the same technology has shrunk and the resolution has increased by a factor of 10 (1.3mm to .01mm)

This is the kinect next to the Leap Motion that's coming out soon for $70

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 01-18-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #1637
mash20
Is not Persian

My Ride: '01 TiAg M3 Vert
we can finally get those screens from Minority Report!

Last edited by my ass; Yesterday at 11:15 PM.
mash20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #1638
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Imagine if you put a cat or a dog in front of the screen and they started touching it with their paws ? ...........lol
Old 01-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #1639
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
Imagine if you put a cat or a dog in front of the screen and they started touching it with their paws ? ...........lol
There are two kinds of people

flickher

Old 01-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #1640
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/st...e.html?cmp=rss

Amazing. It sounds like mainstream DNA computing will soon be a reality.
Quote:

Shakespeare sonnets encoded in DNA

The ones and zeroes of digital data were converted into sequences using the four-letter alphabet of DNA. The sequences were then encoded into synthetic strands of DNA. (iStock) It can store the information from a million CDs in a space no bigger than your little finger, and could keep it safe for centuries.

Is this some new electronic gadget? Nope. It's DNA.

The genetic material has long held all the information needed to make plants and animals, and now some scientists are saying it could help handle the growing storage needs of today's information society.

Researchers reported Wednesday that they had stored all 154 Shakespeare sonnets, a photo, a scientific paper, and a 26-second sound clip from Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech. That all fit in a barely visible bit of DNA in a test tube.

The process involved converting the ones and zeroes of digital information into the four-letter alphabet of DNA code. That code was used to create strands of synthetic DNA. Then machines "read" the DNA molecules and recovered the encoded information.

That reading process took two weeks, but technological advances are driving that time down, said Ewan Birney of the European Bioinformatics Institute in Hinxton, England. He's an author of a report published online by the journal Nature.

DNA could be useful for keeping huge amounts of information that must be kept for a long time but not retrieved very often, the researchers said. Storing the DNA would be relatively simple, they said: Just put it in a cold, dry and dark place and leave it alone.

Ideal for large archives
The technology might work in the near term for large archives that have to be kept safe for centuries, like national historical records or huge library holdings, said study co-author Nick Goldman of the institute. Maybe in a decade it could become feasible for consumers to store information they want to have around in 50 years, like wedding photos or videos for future grandchildren, Goldman said in an email.

Researcher Nick Goldman, showed here hold in a vial of DNA, suggested that in a decade, it could become feasible for consumers to use DNA to store information they want to have around in 50 years, like wedding photos or videos for future grandchildren. (European Molecular Biology Laboratory/Nature/Associated Press)The researchers said they have no intention of putting storage DNA into a living thing, and that it couldn't accidentally become part of the genetic machinery of a living thing because of its coding scheme.

Sriram Kosuri, a Harvard researcher who co-authored a similar report last September, said both papers show advantages of DNA for long-term storage. But because of its technical limitations, "it's not going to replace your hard drive," he said.

Kosuri's co-author, Harvard DNA expert George Church, said the technology could let a person store all of Wikipedia on a fingertip, and all the world's information now stored on disk drives could fit in the palm of the hand.