E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2004, 08:10 PM   #1
mgeb

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330CI M
NAV System - is it worth it?

Is the NAV System really worth it?
mgeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:38 PM   #2
He and his
name's PHIL

My Ride: is not my sig
Send a message via AIM to He and his Send a message via MSN to He and his
NOPE...........the aftermarket ones are much better.......PIONEER baby

Drive me biach
He and his is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 08:57 PM   #3
RNarang

BMW Nav is fantastic. It offers many additional OEM features such as Bluetooth (neccesary for those that must talk on the phone and have a manual tranny), Sirius Radio, and Auxillary devices (ipod). In addition
non-OEM improvement include Stealth One (Valentine One radar detector integration) and Nav-TV (Can combined with a DVD Player for in car entertainment) IMHO the cleanest looking setup without all those neon lights and distracting animations. Good bang for the buck!, aftermaket system will run much more than $1800, perhaps over $3.5k. The DVD Nav from alpine is $2k alone + screen + install. All of this without warranty, possible engine noise, and crazy wires running through the car. No decision if deciding between OEM and aftermarket, unless you are considering doing audio upgrades.
RNarang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 09:13 PM   #4
RudeJamaican

My Ride: Alpine 2001 330ci
Send a message via AIM to RudeJamaican Send a message via Yahoo to RudeJamaican
if you have a PDA you can get it ADD ON

Gruppe M / UUC Pullies
RudeJamaican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 09:20 PM   #5
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
It depends on if your going to use it a lot. If you really want nav, then go with OEM. It is the best and most clean looking unit out there. With the new version 2.0 it's also a lot quicker and does it's job well.

On the other hand if you'll only use it once and a while I'd say save your money and just get a little Garmin or something that you can take in and out of your car...
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 09:46 PM   #6
abomb

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
If you want a nav system and you're buying a new car, definately get it. There are aftermarket systems out there, some with more features... but none integrate as flawlessly as the OEM version.

I have the latest nav system the Mark IV (the DVD version). The nav system also allows you to look up points of interest, including restaurants, train and bus stations, public places, shopping centers, etc. It also has phone numbers (which can be one-touch dialed if you have the phone or bluetooth). The nav system is pretty versatile, let's you pick from a number of routing options (no highway, all highway, no toll, fastest route, shortest route, etc.), can re-route up to a number of miles, store addresses, and a few other things.

It also allows a lot more data for the bluetooth/phone to be displayed as well as sirrius satelite data. You can also get the TV tuner which will allow you to watch TV, and the TV tuner allows you to add composite inputs, such as a DVD player, etc.

If you ask if it's worth the $1800 in practical value, I'd say it's a close call. But the pimp factor is worth the money. Also, I think it makes the car look much cleaner inside than the regular business radio.

Also, it costs a lot more than $1800 to correctly retrofit an OEM nav system to a car, so if you're unsure, I say just go for it. Plus in the grand scheme of things, $1800 on a $44k isn't a big deal.
abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 10:43 PM   #7
04ragtop

My Ride: 04 330 Cic
I have it and I love it. I use it all the time. It gets me where I want to go and finds shortcuts too. Gotta have it!
04ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 11:21 PM   #8
avalon96

My Ride: avalon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNarang
BMW Nav is fantastic. It offers many additional OEM features such as Bluetooth (neccesary for those that must talk on the phone and have a manual tranny), Sirius Radio, and Auxillary devices (ipod). In addition
non-OEM improvement include Stealth One (Valentine One radar detector integration) and Nav-TV (Can combined with a DVD Player for in car entertainment) IMHO the cleanest looking setup without all those neon lights and distracting animations. Good bang for the buck!, aftermaket system will run much more than $1800, perhaps over $3.5k. The DVD Nav from alpine is $2k alone + screen + install. All of this without warranty, possible engine noise, and crazy wires running through the car. No decision if deciding between OEM and aftermarket, unless you are considering doing audio upgrades.
Can you clarify about the V1 radar detector integration? Do you mean for the OEM NAV system? Also, what features do you benefit from? V1 displays on your NAV screen?
avalon96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 11:25 PM   #9
abomb

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
http://www.stealth-one.com
abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 11:29 PM   #10
Jackboot

My Ride: Bus
I regret not getting NAV. Retrofitting it isn't a practical option. I don't want aftermarket cheese in my bimmer either. Just get it!!!
Jackboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 12:50 PM   #11
Scotes

My Ride: 03 530i, pv 01 325Ci
Just as an fyi if you buy all the parts new for a nav retrofit in an e46 you are looking at $5k - that's with the 16:9 cd unit and an MkIV DVD nav computer. The MkIV alone is about $2k new but can be had for about $1300 remanufactured or about $1k on eBay. The tricky bit on the parts end is getting the correct wiring harness as it's dependant n your stereo. Then there's the install which involves removing the front and back seats - from the DIYs I've seen on the web it doesn't look that difficult - just very involved. Most dealers seem to be very negative on the prospect of retrofitting it but it can be done. If I was buying my car again I would definitely get the nav.
Scotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 01:30 PM   #12
bobm3
Senior Eurowerkz Member

My Ride: 2003m3smg
people say no

but after market is always going to be better you can get more for the dollar.
tv dvd for movies camera's all around. you pick which one you would like.
bobm3
Old 04-12-2004, 06:42 PM   #13
YseanY

My Ride: M3
ppl are saying u can get a tv tuner for the oem? when can i go about getting one? and is there anything that i can add to the oem that allows for playing mp3? one that is clean w/ no wires, is phatnoise the only option? thanx
YseanY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 03:01 AM   #14
rps4

if you opt not to go for it, keep in mind the blue tooth option display is in the bmw business head unit, so if you decide to change this at a later time the blue tooth will be no good as you wont have a display ?

And yes, i am in this position ?

Goodluck ?

i regret not getting the standard nav
rps4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 07:05 AM   #15
e46boy
call me kev :D

My Ride: '08 Lexus GS460
Send a message via AIM to e46boy
don't even bother with the oem nav, it totally sucks compared to aftermarket, but if you like the clean look, get it

the aftermarket nav is WORTH every single penny, so useful it's unbelievable

Bye bye E46, hello new car :D
e46boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 10:39 PM   #16
RNarang

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46boy
don't even bother with the oem nav, it totally sucks compared to aftermarket, but if you like the clean look, get it

the aftermarket nav is WORTH every single penny, so useful it's unbelievable
if you like wires and plastic faceplates that dont match interior go with aftermarket. You will get slightly better picture quality for all your hardcore cinema needs, possibly be penalized for having done aftermaket work (lease), or go oem for clean integrated look and increase the value of your car when selling if owned. I guess its a matter of opinion. If you are just doing Nav and not a fiberglassed custom trunk with 20" woofers. Go OEM.
RNarang is offline   Reply With Quote