E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 01:39 AM   #1
GP330i

My Ride: 2001 330i 5spd
Just had single mass flywheel installed

Hey, first post here now that i finally have my first mod done. I just had a F1 Racing Stage 2 Clutch & 15.85 lb single mass flywheel installed on my 01 330i. So far I love it and dont regret it but its going to take some real getting used to. The car has a completely different feel. I hadn't driven my car in 2 months, and before that the clutch had been slipping pretty badly for a while. So Im sure I picked up some bad habits trying to get the most of the old clutch before it died at about 140k miles.

Ive only gone about 50 easy miles so far, but I definitely notice how much more responsive and direct it feels. I'm only noticed the smallest bit of clutch chatter with the radio and heat off sitting at a stop light. I don't think its anything passengers would notice.

The uptake is VERY harsh if i dont pay really close attention to slipping the clutch from a stop. Is there any trick to a smooth takeoff on a single mass. I haven't had it cut off on me but ive had some pretty hard bucking starts. Ive driven manuals for years but now I feel like a newby all over again. Someone please chime in before i break something.
GP330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:45 AM   #2
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Well u did go to a stage 2 clutch then OEM replacement. Then u change to a single mass from a dual. Clutch should grab much harder and should rev much easier. Won't be able to have a smoooooooth transition or riding the clutch like oem.

btw im buzzed....
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:53 AM   #3
GP330i

I'm not expecting it to be oem smooth. Its the pretty much what i was looking for. My only prob is figuring out the trick to driving a lighter single mass around town, better yet.. in the snow.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:28 AM   #4
azzy989

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to azzy989 Send a message via MSN to azzy989
i have a JBR 10 lb flywheel and definitely had a reaaaally hard time trying to figure out how to drive it. you'll get used to it eventually.. it's exactly what you said though.. just need to be very smooth while slipping the clutch and getting on the gas. for what it's worth, i have a jerky start every once in a while and i've been running this flywheel since august.

Last edited by azzy989; 12-14-2011 at 07:29 AM.
azzy989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:00 AM   #5
Hecs21

My Ride: 2001 325i
GP, keep me up to date on how that works for you. I just ordered the same kit and will hopefully have it in the car in the next couple of weeks.

I was curious about how much chatter there really is & about the quality of the release bearing.

Did you do a CDV delete with it?

I started a thread a couple weeks ago about going to SMF or sticking with DMF. Consensus seemed to be to go away from OEM completely including non-SAC but due to cost restrictions, I went with the same kit (Gripforce - F1 stage 2 SMF with sprung hub SAC)

I hope it works out well. Looking forward to getting mine in and getting through the break in period!
Hecs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:17 AM   #6
GP330i

I haven't done a cdv delete on it yet. I don't have jack stands or the equip to bleed it. Hopefully I can find a mechanic or someone local willing to do it that'll know what im talking about. But i did have some of the shifter linkage parts replaced. It took care of most of the play in the shifter for only about 25 bucks.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer
Old 12-14-2011, 10:52 AM   #7
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
OP,

You're just gonna have to get use to it. Wait a month or two on the CDV delete, because it will actually make the clutch feel more "positive". Just Don't do any hard quick acceleration (don't dump the clutch) with the CDV still installed. Once it's removed, then you can be aggressive.

Snow use, play video: http://www.amazon.com/Security-Compa...3877724&sr=8-1
I personally swear by this product.

Merry Christmas.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:37 PM   #8
TiAg2247

My Ride: E39 M5 | E55 AMG
Where did you purchase the F1 kit?

Imola Red M5 | Imola Red Interior
GT Exhaust, Custom BC Coilovers, 19x10 + 19x11 Rial Dayonta Race, Michelin PSS

Daily: 335i M-Sport Alpine White / Coral Red
Cobb STG1+, FMIC, H&R Sport, BMW Perf Style 313

Past:
'04 E55 AMG
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
TiAg2247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:11 PM   #9
Hecs21

My Ride: 2001 325i
DB, check eBay seller Gripforce-clutches, I think it is or just search Gripforce & you'll find them.

They're are some good reviews out there from other Bimmer owners. Some well over 20k miles on em. There are some bad reviews as well but all I found were people whom purchased kits for Toyotas or Subarus.
Hecs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:26 AM   #10
GP330i

6 month update: Just this weekend I noticed the clutch slipping when accelerating hard in 5th gear. The next day the slipping became more frequent in all gears on anything greater than 40% throttle. Up until now id never had any slipping issues. I treat the clutch pretty well, just the usual spirited driving. I gave gripforce a call to see what they had to say about it the slipping. They basically said that after 6 months and almost 10,000 miles its not likely its a build quality issue and that its most likely a failure of another component on my car. I'm having a shop take a look at it tomorrow. Hopefully it just needs adjustment or something else cheap and simple.

Last edited by GP330i; 06-12-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:47 PM   #11
kraimer

My Ride: 04 330Ci, 00 323it
Send a message via AIM to kraimer
Let us know what the shop said?
Im thinking of getting the same clutch...
kraimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #12
fastjasonbmw

My Ride: 330Xi
Do you still have the CDV installed? If so, get rid of it. A ss braided clutch line might help to, as the original clutch line could be swelling under pressure and giving you inconsistent clutch action.
fastjasonbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:12 AM   #13
GP330i

At this point I can't tell you if the parts are to blame. My car is still in the shop. They're telling me that the mechanic that initially installed the kit couldn't of installed the gripforce kit since the car still had the dual mass flywheel. Im having a hard time believing that because I could hear chattering in neutral, you could feel more driveline vibration, the flywheel felt lighter and the uptake was harsher. I need to wait to see the parts that came out of the car so I can figure out what actually happened.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #14
rapnel

My Ride: e34,e39,e46
Update?

Do you have an update for this?

I'm at 10k with a failed gripforce clutch. I'd like to know what your find was.

Thanks\r
rapnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #15
ohio330

My Ride: 330
I had a gripforce stage 2 clutch and flywheel go out in 6 months. Properly installed too. They ignored my emails and always gave me to someone's voicemail. I just cut my loses and bought a clutch masters kit.
ohio330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #16
rapnel

same. did you have the chromoly fw? did you pull. that too?
Old 01-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #17
ccj4467

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio330 View Post
I had a gripforce stage 2 clutch and flywheel go out in 6 months. Properly installed too. They ignored my emails and always gave me to someone's voicemail. I just cut my loses and bought a clutch masters kit.
Same deal with me 8,000 miles on it and it was trash.

Kept the SMF but went with stock (LUK) clutch.

Shop could not tell if the SAC was defective or not, so I just bit the bullet on trying to deal with Gripforce, they also ignored my e-mails.
ccj4467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #18
ohio330

My Ride: 330
my flywheel was warped so much it needed replaced. I should find the pictures of the heat marks.
ohio330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #19
rapnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccj4467 View Post
Same deal with me 8,000 miles on it and it was trash.

Kept the SMF but went with stock (LUK) clutch.

Shop could not tell if the SAC was defective or not, so I just bit the bullet on trying to deal with Gripforce, they also ignored my e-mails.
You hooked up a LuK stock clutch to the SMF flywheel? I'm being told all over the place that I can't do that. Any chance that you can point me to any references supporting this type of setup? Given that the stock setup earned 175k+ and getting burned at 10k by F1 I'd like this to be able to work.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #20
ccj4467

My Ride: 330Ci
The shop that did the work for me just did it. According to the Gripforce web site their pressure plate is a OEM pressure plate that they beef up the springs.

You can't do it with all single mass flywheels. The Gripforce setup uses F1 Racings flywheel and a pressure plate that has the same bolt and locator pin configuration as the stock clutch. Single Mass Flywheels such as JB Racing and UUC I think use non standard pressure plates but I am not positive about that.

You might check out the thread on the Valeo SMF conversion kit in the General E46 forum.

The only draw back with the stock clutch is that is uses a non-sprung hub clutch disk so the clutch engagement is a little bit harsher than with a sprung hub clutch disk.

It really did not take me long to adapt to it, I have been driving only manual transmissions for 40 years so I can pretty much feel how the clutch is engaging.

Last edited by ccj4467; 01-11-2013 at 11:05 AM.
ccj4467 is offline   Reply With Quote