E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 11:29 PM   #1
2000beamer

My Ride: 2000 323i
Relieved

Until today, I'd been driving a family members 2011 E90 328i for the past week and as nice as the car is, I'd be lying If I said I wasn't relieved to be back behind the wheel of my E46! Although in my opinion the E90 looks better and is a much more comfortable car for longer trips than the E46 3er, it just doesn't have as much spirit! My E46 is far more enjoyable on country roads than the 90, and it's much more fun to drive in general! However, I guess that I'm preaching to the choir and you all would agree as we are all E46 fanatics!

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:40 PM   #2
taibinhvuong

My Ride: E46 99' 328i
I believe you and no doubt that for some people who prefer driving E46 over E90, but if I got the offer between the two without the cost involved, I would not hesitate to point my finger right on to the E90.
taibinhvuong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:43 PM   #3
choxor

My Ride: JDM
E90 never interested me, not even the M3. Felt bland. Looked bland. Absolutely HATED the interior. The F30 now, that's a different story.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:45 PM   #4
2000beamer

I also would probably choose the E90 to replace my E46 solely because it's a newer car with newer features such as better leather/navigation/Bluetooth. Not for the way it drives
Old 01-09-2013, 11:55 PM   #5
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Don't like the E90. But the F30 is pretty sexy.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:57 AM   #6
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
The F30 is nice no doubt but it's a bit awkward from certain angles with certain bumpers/colors. Definitely looks best in Estoril w/ sport bumpers/pkg.

Interior... seems slightly flimsy.. like the door panels/handles seem cheap and plasticky. I like the F30 interior design but E90 materials. I like the E46 design + materials. I also don't like how the F30 uses plenty of stamped steel in its suspension compared to the E90 which uses aluminum extensively throughout. Cost cutting? efficiency/evolution? I don't know.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:47 AM   #7
2000beamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
The F30 is nice no doubt but it's a bit awkward from certain angles with certain bumpers/colors. Definitely looks best in Estoril w/ sport bumpers/pkg.

Interior... seems slightly flimsy.. like the door panels/handles seem cheap and plasticky. I like the F30 interior design but E90 materials. I like the E46 design + materials. I also don't like how the F30 uses plenty of stamped steel in its suspension compared to the E90 which uses aluminum extensively throughout. Cost cutting? efficiency/evolution? I don't know.
BMW would say "efficiency dynamics"
Old 01-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post

How did you know what color I'm getting

I still think the E46 has the best interior. It's like a cockpit. Very driver oriented. When I get into my M3 it feels like I'm getting in it to DO something. Getting into the E90 made me feel like vomiting. The driver seat of the F30 is pretty nice place to be, but not as engaging as the E46.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
I liked my friend's E90 interior very much. It has way more storage places as well and the cup holders are better for me. I did smack my knee on the passenger cup holder every time I got out of the car though if it was in use. Cup holder 19 - WDE46 0. I also thought the driver's position was great. Some of the features are excellent too. The E90 cruise control is vastly superior to the E46 for example.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #10
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
How did you know what color I'm getting

I still think the E46 has the best interior. It's like a cockpit. Very driver oriented. When I get into my M3 it feels like I'm getting in it to DO something. Getting into the E90 made me feel like vomiting. The driver seat of the F30 is pretty nice place to be, but not as engaging as the E46.
Spot on. Estoril is my favorite color too (Miss my E36 M3)

That's the ONLY color I'd get an F30 in. Sport bumpers.. it definitely "looks the part," as they'd say in England.

That red line in the dash would bug me though

And you're right the E46 interior feels purposeful. The E46 will go down in history (it already has) as the greatest 3-series ever made!

Honestly though the E9X interior isn't bad... especially the M3 w/ nav. The bulbous dash towards the center is a bit un-BMW but it flows well, IMO.

(Not 100% sure this is the E9X M3, but you get the idea)

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #11
fastsoup

My Ride: currently seeking
The cockpit of the E46 is one of the best I have ever owned, let alone driven. When I first drove one it reminded me of my old CRX (cockpit aimed at the driver). When I test drove the e9x M3, as raw as it was, the interior (where you spend 98% of your time) wasn't as refined or composed as the e46. Now, the seats in the M3 e46 are much more comfortable than the one's in my 330i, and I think that is the only thing I might change down the road, if I can find a nice used set.

The end of it, my wife keeps pressing me to buy a newer style (calls my car a dinosaur) but I can't justify the cost for the newer 3 series. I have my "always updated voice navigation through my Android phone, I have my music through the integration kit, seats heated, power everything etc etc.

Her F25 is an absolute pleasure to drive, but I still get a smile every time I pull into the garage and see Cynthia. The F30 looks nice, and I might consider it down the road as a good used car, but the E90 is being skipped by me due to the E46 being a better machine.

E46 is amazing!

Last edited by fastsoup; 01-10-2013 at 11:07 AM.
fastsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #12
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastsoup View Post
The cockpit of the E46 is one of the best I have ever owned, let alone driven. When I first drove one it reminded me of my old CRX (cockpit aimed at the driver). When I test drove the e9x M3, as raw as it was, the interior (where you spend 98% of your time) wasn't as refined or composed as the e46. Now, the seats in the M3 e46 are much more comfortable than the one's in my 330i, and I think that is the only thing I might change down the road, if I can find a nice used set.

The end of it, my wife keeps pressing me to buy a newer style (calls my car a dinosaur) but I can't justify the cost for the newer 3 series. I have my "always updated voice navigation through my Android phone, I have my music through the integration kit, seats heated, power everything etc etc.

Her F25 is an absolute pleasure to drive, but I still get a smile every time I pull into the garage and see Cynthia. The F30 looks nice, and I might consider it down the road as a good used car, but the E90 is being skipped by me due to the E46 being a better machine.

E46 is amazing!
Cynthia. That's cute. I named mine 'Doug'

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #13
golf_234

My Ride: E46, E90, E82, F22
You can't base your interior opinions off a base model. or.. you can, obviously, but imo you shouldn't. Lacking SO much from what the 335 coupe or m coupe interior with terracotta is like. that being said. f30 is definiteely next on my list . i will agree that the e9x interior wasnt the best they have made. but anyone arguing that they have gone backwards on handling is insane. My car handles like a dreammmmmmmm. Not in a million years would i exchange this car for an older model. Brief drives just don't truly show you what a car is all about . you have to live in it for a while.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #14
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
In terms of looks, it is clear:

E46 > E90 > F30's hideous headlights near the grille.

In terms of interiors from what I've seen and been in:

F30 > E46 > E90 (Unless that E90 has a Terra Dakota interior, but the controls and everything is just not angled towards the drive like it is in the E46.)
Old 01-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #15
golf_234

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
In terms of looks, it is clear:

E46 > E90 > F30's hideous headlights near the grille.

In terms of interiors from what I've seen and been in:

F30 > E46 > E90 (Unless that E90 has a Terra Dakota interior, but the controls and everything is just not angled towards the drive like it is in the E46.)
wait til you see an alpine white M sport f30 in person, then tell me the car is ugly.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #16
trizzuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
wait til you see an alpine white M sport f30 in person, then tell me the car is ugly.
I will agree that the F30 M sports are growing on me. I just wish they'd get to the f'n LCI already and remove the carbunkles from the inside corner of the headlights.

Notice how similar it is to the 5? except the effin headlights and how they blend into the grille. The F10 has em separate, looks SOOOO much better IMO
Old 01-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #17
trizzuth

what about this headlight looks good? It's f***ing hideous. Even in M sport trim. All the fresh bumper does is distract you from the headlights so you don't hate it as much.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #18
trizzuth

Look, 5 seconds in MS Paint and I made it better already!

Old 01-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #19
golf_234

You have a point there. i wouldn't say all out hideous.. but i get where you are coming from. it is a bold industrial design move for sure. Somewhere in between the two would be nice. definitely not enough to deter me from wanting that car like no other. i already have my next car configured.

2013 F30 335i Sedan, Custom Order
6MT
Alpine White
Coral Red
M Sport
Premium
Cold Weather
Harmon Kardon

Comes it at 51k BRAND new. i personally think it is a great deal.
Get that car, and i am betting you will forget about the lights pretty fast. haha. flame suit on for @trizzuth, but in all honesty the lights are growing on me. lol. at first i was the same like wtf. but idk.. just something different. the difference was really when i saw one out at the gas station. (even when i had seen them in the showroom before) out in the field. all i could say was wow. they hit this car on the DOT.

Last edited by golf_234; 01-10-2013 at 12:49 PM.
golf_234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #20
2000beamer

I can't stand the cup holders in the E90 and am glad to see that they are now placed in the middle (in front of the shifter) in the F30. I personally don't have any problems with the headlights on the F30, but the ones on the E90 WERE better. Lastly, I hate to admit that I have accidentally mistaken the rear end of the F30 for a 5 series! The entire car seems to be larger on the outside than any of its predecessors, and its tail lights are very similar to the current five series. My largest complaint about the interior of my E46 is that damn armrest! BMW didn't give it enough support AND it prevents the usage of the second cup holder (unless it has a small can in it). I am about ready to shell out the $400 for a new one because mine is beginning to come off of its bracket. This is not an issue for the E90 or the F30. All in all, the interior layout in my E46 IS better than that of the E90, but the E90 does have better leather-appointed seats and the trim is better.