E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
YYCBMW

My Ride: 2003 M3 Convertible
328CI Supercharger questions

Hi everyone!
Well, I am going to supercharge my 328CI likely next summer. I am hoping that some of you can help me through some questions I have. After researching as best I can I am 90% convinced the ESS twin screw style s/c system is the one I want, however I have a few reservations that Iíd like to put past you, the ďexpertsĒ

First of all, a bit of background on the car, itís a 2000, 328CI automatic (steptronic or whatever they call it) with 135,000km / 85,000 miles on it. Itís a RWD car that is in fantastic condition for its age. I want to up the HP and enjoy it a few more years and to give myself a new hobby now that Iím selling my í65 mustang. I am going to do the install myself. What I enjoy out of a sports car is quick acceleration and power when I need it for passing cars on a single lane highway. Iím not so concerned with maximizing horsepower as I know that the automatic is limited as to what horsepower it can make (+/- 15hp makes no difference for me). The prices these days between the 3 main s/c systems seem to be pretty comparable, so price is not really a huge factor.

Now the concernsÖIím concerned mostly about the excess engine noise. Iíve heard that the twin screw s/c system is loud. I would love to hear from someone who has owned both the centrifugal and twin screw s/c system for a comparison.

Also, a little back story here, I once owned a 1.8T Jetta and I installed a cold air intake and it lasted only a couple days b/c I didnít want a car that sounded like it should have been in fast and the furious. I donít think that s/c systems divert the excess boost into the CAI, but if someone can confirm that for me Iíd appreciate it. I donít want to have the same thing happen as before with my Jetta. Are s/c systems a closed system for FI?

I have read a lot of good things about AA and VF s/c systems and are considerations, however even with those systems they all require ECU upgrades, but does the ECU software upgrade adjust anything for an automatic, i.e. shift points?

Iíve owned many turbo cars and I like the feeling of the turbo taking effect, however, Iíd like to have a more raw feeling where by Iím getting more horsepower earlier in the RPM range so that I can have access to that power sooner, which is what I think the twin screw s/c will provideÖcorrect me if Iím wrong...

Thanks in advance for the help!!!
YYCBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
ESS is a Good Kit. Not much louder then the AA and VF kit. If I had to do it again I would gone ESS. For the Auto just need to do some Mods and it be ready to rock and roll.

-Anthony
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
YYCBMW

Hi Anthony, thanks for the reply. Nice ride btw! I'll upload some of mine sometime. I'm sippin on a beer on the beach in Mexico at the moment, life's good! What are the mods you recommend I do to the tranny? Do the mods make the tranny shift better or just to handle more horsepower? Which kit do you have?
Old 01-12-2013, 12:27 AM   #4
TrippinBimmer

Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
I have a thread on it somewhere. I am about to take my valve body off to get modded. The more I think about it everyday. Really want my car to be a standard so I can free rev it
Old 01-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
YYCBMW

Nice, I'll have a look for the thread.

I've owned pretty much manuals exclusively until this BMW. My other car is an Audi A4 Avant with APR 91 and 93 octane programs. It's a 6 speed manual but for the first time in almost 20 years I've been driving, I'm kind of sick of the manual. I'm looking to sell it next fall and buy a used Q7 TDI for a daily driver.

The bimmer for an automatic actually drives pretty good in stock mode. I think the ESS system will be pretty awesome on the car. My plan is to put in the supercharger then in a couple years or so buy a convertible M3 w/ SMG tranny. I might even put a supercharger on that car too if my experience is good, haha (wonder if the ESS system is transferable to the M3 Hmmmm I'll have to look into that one)

My friend has a 2007 335xi (coupe) with the GIAC chip and that thing is crazy fast! I drove it once and pinned it and the front tires almost came off the ground! I think he said it was about 450hp with the chip according to GIAC.

Actually I have another Q for you. When you accelerate and let off the throttle, does the boost from the s/c discharge into the cold air intake tubing? I have never owned a s/c system, but when I put that CAI on my turbo Jetta it discharged into the CAI tubing which I wasn't a fan of.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
TrippinBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCBMW View Post
Nice, I'll have a look for the thread.

Actually I have another Q for you. When you accelerate and let off the throttle, does the boost from the s/c discharge into the cold air intake tubing? I have never owned a s/c system, but when I put that CAI on my turbo Jetta it discharged into the CAI tubing which I wasn't a fan of.
One the ESS kit it recir in the Charger as the bypass valve is right behind the charger. With the AA and VF Kit they Discharge into the Intake Tube.

-Anthony
Old 01-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
Miss325

My Ride: 05 325CiC Individual
I'm not sure about the ESS kit, but the AA is extremely loud (loud enough that people stop and ask you what hp you are making). I can't imagine ESS would be that bad?

ASA (or G-Power now?), is virtually silent.

Last edited by Miss325; 01-13-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Miss325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
ESS is a Good Kit. Not much louder then the AA and VF kit. If I had to do it again I would gone ESS. For the Auto just need to do some Mods and it be ready to rock and roll.

-Anthony
sry to thread jack, is ess doing your tranny software?
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #9
TrippinBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
sry to thread jack, is ess doing your tranny software?
No sir, ESS doesn't have a GM Software for the TC. I am going/doing a custom setup.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #10
YYCBMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss325 View Post
I'm not sure about the ESS kit, but the AA is extremely loud (loud enough that people stop and ask you what hp you are making). I can't imagine ESS would be that bad?

ASA (or G-Power now?), is virtually silent.
Thanks for the note
Is the AA kit just loud on idle, while driving, or both? That's my biggest concern is it being loud. I've heard the VF kit is pretty quiet too. I haven't heard of the ASA kit before. I'll have to look into it. Is it a Centrifugal or Twin Screw? I've been trying to listen on youtube to people who have their car s/c'd but I can't tell if it's loud haha.

I talked to AA and ESS about their systems and they do not do any software adjustments for the auto tranny either.
Cheers!
Old 01-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #11
TrippinBimmer

Quote:
Thanks for the note
Is the AA kit just loud on idle, while driving, or both? That's my biggest concern is it being loud. I've heard the VF kit is pretty quiet too. I haven't heard of the ASA kit before. I'll have to look into it. Is it a Centrifugal or Twin Screw? I've been trying to listen on youtube to people who have their car s/c'd but I can't tell if it's loud haha.

I talked to AA and ESS about their systems and they do not do any software adjustments for the auto tranny either.
Cheers!
AA kit at idle you hear the sc whine. At shifts u hear pssssh and cruising you hear a faint psssh.

The G-Power kit is a centrifugal kit.

ESS is the quiet then AA and VF and Gpower is the quietest/silent...

The tranny mod you will have to come up on your own...

Last edited by TrippinBimmer; 01-15-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
YYCBMW

Thanks Anthony, you have been so helpful! I had a quick look at the G-Power kit and they didn't have one specifically for the 328, but I imagine it's the same as the 330. I'll give them a call/email sometime and let you guys know. Did you ever find that thread you wrote about the tranny mod? I'd be interested to read it.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #13
TrippinBimmer

Quote:
Thanks Anthony, you have been so helpful! I had a quick look at the G-Power kit and they didn't have one specifically for the 328, but I imagine it's the same as the 330. I'll give them a call/email sometime and let you guys know. Did you ever find that thread you wrote about the tranny mod? I'd be interested to read it.
In theory, it will bolt in no problem but the issue is does g-power have a tune for it.

Here is the thread. I will be updating in a few weeks

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=937899

Anthony
Old 01-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #14
YYCBMW

I found the price list (PDF) for the G-power 328 but it's just not on their website under E46 Supercharger kits. I emailed them a week ago and still no response. The price is crazy high, around $6500 Euro !!! That's over $8,000CDN and USD. It doesn't look any different in terms of content from the other kits available. I can't wait to hear back from these guys to see if that's accurate.
Anyway, thought I'd post an update...
Cheers!
Old 01-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #15
TrippinBimmer

That sounds about right...
Old 01-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #16
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
Quote:
I found the price list (PDF) for the G-power 328 but it's just not on their website under E46 Supercharger kits. I emailed them a week ago and still no response. The price is crazy high, around $6500 Euro !!! That's over $8,000CDN and USD. It doesn't look any different in terms of content from the other kits available. I can't wait to hear back from these guys to see if that's accurate.
Anyway, thought I'd post an update...
Cheers!
the only difference in the gpower is that it uses an ASA clutched compressor. Unlike any other centri is is silent at idle as it is designed to bypasses the blower. It uses vacuum pressure so that it drives the blower only when you put your feet on the gas pedal. Its a very efficient and great supercharger.

Ive had two cars with ASA superchargers on it and believe me they're quite awesome.
http://asasc.com/2011/asa-supercharg...technology/146

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to praise you like I should.."

Last edited by MachRc; 01-18-2013 at 11:55 AM.
MachRc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #17
YYCBMW

Thanks for the info!
What intrigues me about this setup is the silent aspect
I have only had a quick browse of the internet, but who else distributes these kits? I've only seen it on the G-Power website so far. It would be nice if it was closer in price to the ESS system.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #18
NFSx328ci

My Ride: TiAg E46
Here is a video of my AA stage 2 328ci idling. This was taken when I first installed it. I'll try and get you actual footage of everything if you want. I just uploaded it, I've been meaning to do it anyways for a while now

My babies; Supercharged 328ci, 99 GSX boosted to 625awhp, 2011 Grand Cherokee. Newest addition: 2009 Alpine White 135i

Last edited by NFSx328ci; 01-18-2013 at 02:24 PM.
NFSx328ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #19
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3

my old 330ci with ESS tx-2 kit which used the ASA tm-12. No noise at idle

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to praise you like I should.."
MachRc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #20
YYCBMW

Thanks guys! Much appreciated. I will certainly have a listen tonight (after work...I might get some strange looks haha).

MachRc, is that ASA tm-12 a clutch based s/c?