E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
tommytoyz

My Ride: 1999 e46 323i
Head Gasket Replacement Shortcut DIY

I recently replaced my head gasket on my 323i 1999. But it is leaking again. I think the mistake I did was to scratch some of the new gasket material on the new gasket - the black stuff that goes around the piston hole cut out - and installed it anyway.

Car has not overheated - not even a little. But I know I have water being blown out and some oik in the coolant and a gunky oil cap.

Here's my question:

I know how to replace the head gasket the long way. But having done it once before, I realized there may be a much faster way to do this job and I want to know if anyone has done it like I am about to decribe:

1. Remove the hood
2. Remove the intake manifold
3. Remove the Valve cover
4. Remove the chain tensioner
5. Remove the head bolts
6. Install hoist
7. Gently hoist up the head a few inches
8. Remove old Head Gasket through the gap
9. Clean surfaces through gap as best as possible
9. Install new Head gasket through the gap
10. Lower the head carefully
11. Reassemble

This would eliminate taking off anything on the exhaust manifold side and the Vanos and chains.

Of course you can not inspect and test the head this way, but I recently had that done and am reasonably sure that's not the problem. Anybody done this?
tommytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
E46_330i_Stud

My Ride: 2004 330ci ZHP 6MT
So your saying you didn't send the head off to a machine shop to at least be checked?

1995 325i 5mt ArcticGrey/Dove - SOLD
2004 330ci ZHP 6MT SilberGrau/Black - SOLD
2001 330i M-Sport 5MT StaulGrau/Grey - SOLD
1992 Accord LX Sedan 275k miles all original - DAILY
2002 Chevy Suburban LT Autoride - TOY HAULER
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT - RACE TRUCK!
E46_330i_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
SweetBMW

My Ride: 318CIA
If you're sure anything didnt twist or deform, this will work. But its not the recommended way.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:14 PM   #4
tommytoyz

Yes, the 1st time I did send the head off to have it checked and resurfaced. I know it is not the recommended way, but would make it doable in half the time - or even faster. I only have about 5,000 miles since I did the head gasket and everything was perfect, until a few days ago, when I started using up coolant and a few other signs that - unfortunately - make it pretty clear to me the gasket is not holding for some reason.

I might do it the traditional way, as I was planning on changing the clutch and rear seal, which requires removal of the exhaust and detaching from the exhaust manifold. But not sure yet.

I think a hoist is mandatory in any case - regardless of method - because even with 2 people, it's too easy to nick it on installation onto the new gasket. The head is just too big and heavy.

At least I'll be much faster the 2nd time as I know exactly where everything is and how it comes apart and back together. No more hours of searching for a way to get something off or on.....
Old 03-12-2012, 03:01 AM   #5
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Sounds like you're asking for approval for doing something half-assed. You're going through all that work, don't gamble with your time.

INB4 blockedout

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
tommytoyz

I was asking if anyone had done it this way once before or not. It seems like I'll do it the long way....again
Old 03-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
Brinkley

My Ride: 99 328i, 07 z4 3.0
How is this really a shortcut? You're doing all that work and then instead of removing head and doing job properly you will just save the 60 seconds to hoist head up and remove from car. Did you get the head checked last time? What about the studs were you able to re-torque all to spec? I'm all about saving time/money but I will say that this particular job, if being done, is one that should be done right.
Brinkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
DonnieC

My Ride: BMW E46 323i
How much did the head gasket you put in cost you? I just dropped my car off at the mechanic less than an hour ago and it was overheating really bad. I could see there was antifreeze leaking out underneath the hood area of the car but not really smoking from the tail pipe just the hood.
DonnieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #9
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieC View Post
How much did the head gasket you put in cost you? I just dropped my car off at the mechanic less than an hour ago and it was overheating really bad. I could see there was antifreeze leaking out underneath the hood area of the car but not really smoking from the tail pipe just the hood.
Your expansion tank probably blew up. That is the most common thing. AFTER your ET blows up, you lose all your coolant, overheat, and if you aren't fast enough, you can blow the headgasket and warp the head. IF you turned it off fast enough, then you just need to do a cooling system overhaul.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #10
willsbma

My Ride: 99 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Your expansion tank probably blew up. That is the most common thing. AFTER your ET blows up, you lose all your coolant, overheat, and if you aren't fast enough, you can blow the headgasket and warp the head. IF you turned it off fast enough, then you just need to do a cooling system overhaul.
Could be one of the hard coolant pipes under the manifold too.

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
willsbma is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, head gasket, shortcut